Buying a new DSL modem
DianeHillibush

Hello, i have been a customer with Verizon DSL since 2007 or 6 can't remember now but. the Original Westell brand DSL modem i got with my internet packege is starting to go and i believe it's time for me to swap it out with a new one. Currently the DSL moden serves as a switch board to my other Router i bought which i use for my wireless and internet.

Now, i was wondering if i was to purchase a new DSL Modem, would i need to call verizon and go through some process on how to activate it?, or would it work normally as like i got a normal router and plugged it in etc.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Buying a new DSL modem
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can typically use any ADSL or ADSL2(+) compatible modem on the Verizon DSL service. Just make sure the modem you get supports the features you want. Verizon in most areas uses PPPoE, so the only setup required once you connect the modem is to configure the modem with your Username and Password used for the Verizon service. In most cases, this is the same thing you use to log into MyVerizon. In some areas, any username and password combination will be accepted.

The only thing you may need to be concerned about is if your modem is using DHCP or Routed Bridge mode. DHCP leases need to be broken before you can pull a new IP address. Verizon can do this for you if you're in one of those few areas, or you can leave your modem off for a few hours.

Also, don't be afraid to ask Verizon for a new modem. Ask for a Westell 6100 if this is what you have. Otherwise, just ask for a new modem and they'll likely send you one of the newer Wireless N D-Link gateways. They tend to do this free of charge, and the modems are usually overnight shipped.

0 Likes
Re: Buying a new DSL modem
happy291
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi.  I had the old Westell 327w modem.  But I replaced it with a modem from Actiontec.  But I bought it from Amazon. It's the Actiontec GT724WGR.  And it works great.  I let it do auto configuration and it so easy to set up.  Now they have the newer N version, Actiontec GT784WN.  Which I will be getting soon.  I love the AutoDetect Wizard.  But that's my opinion.  I still have the Westell around in case Verizon needs it to check my dsl service.  But I don't use it.

0 Likes