CR1000A router disabling 2.4Ghz wifi band after a few minutes
wonx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since last Friday (2023-02-03), I have been having problems with my Verizon Fios CR1000A router.  The 2.4Ghz wifi band just stops working, all the devices get disconnected and the router stops emitting in that frequency. The 5Ghz band keeps working just fine though.

AaFcQw4

Note: in the picture the 2.4 band appears as Disconnected, despite being enabled. However, if a band does not have any devices connected to it, it will also appear as "disconnected" (I tried that by disconnecting everything from the 5Ghz band, and that one also appeared as "disconnected") so it is possible that it says "disconnected" while the radio is enabled, but this is not what it's actually happening for the 2.4 band.

The only way to make the 2.4Ghz work again is by completely restarting the router, but it will only work from a few minutes to a few hours. This is an issue because many IoT devices only work on the 2.4Ghz band. I've had this router for several months, and this never happened before.

Things that I have tried so far:

- Restarting the router. This makes the 2.4 band work for a few minutes or even a few hours.

- Changing the wifi channel (by default it was on auto). Doesn't have any effect.

- Disabling and re-enabling the 2.4 band. Does nothing unless I restart the router.

- Disabling SON (Self-organized network). No effect.

- Reset everything to factory defaults. No effect either.

- Setting different SSID for 2.4 and 5.0Ghz bands. No effect.

I I talked with a Verizon technician and sent me a new router, but the problem reappears immediately, so that rules out a hardware issue.

In the router log, when the disconnection happens, I can see something like this, which seems to be each device connected to that band losing connectivity:

2023 Feb 8 01:26:18 hostapd info [WIFI.6][ADV]Connection Event: BSS=ath1, ACTION=Connectivity, SA=78:67:0e:af:xx:xx, DA=d8:1f:12:38:2exx, STA is disconnected
2023 Feb 8 01:26:17 hostapd info [WIFI.6][ADV]Connection Event: BSS=ath1, ACTION=Connectivity, SA=78:67:0e:af:xx:xx, DA=66:19:a0:e9:b8:xx, STA is disconnected
2023 Feb 8 01:26:16 hostapd info [WIFI.6][ADV]Connection Event: BSS=ath1, ACTION=Connectivity, SA=78:67:0e:af:xx:xx, DA=86:05:ba:c2:48:xx, STA is disconnected
2023 Feb 8 01:xx:xx hostapd info [WIFI.6][ADV]Connection Event: BSS=ath1, ACTION=Connectivity, SA=78:67:0e:af:xx:xx, DA=48:78:5e:17:d8:xx, STA is disconnected
2023 Feb 8 01:26:16 hostapd info [WIFI.6][ADV]Connection Event: BSS=ath1, ACTION=Connectivity, SA=78:67:0e:af:xx:xx, DA=b8:27:eb:5e:f1:xx, STA is disconnected
2023 Feb 8 01:26:16 hostapd info [WIFI.6][ADV]Connection Event: BSS=ath1, ACTION=Connectivity, SA=78:67:0e:af:xx:xx DA=b4:b0:24:55:29:xx, STA is disconnected
2023 Feb 8 01:26:16 hostapd info [WIFI.6][ADV]Connection Event: BSS=ath1, ACTION=Connectivity, SA=78:67:0e:af:xx:xx, DA=b4:b0:24:55:40:xx, STA is disconnected
2023 Feb 8 01:26:16 hostapd info [WIFI.6][ADV]Connection Event: BSS=ath1, ACTION=Connectivity, SA=78:67:0e:af:xx:xx DA=c8:c9:a3:92:c7:xx, STA is disconnected
2023 Feb 8 01:26:16 hostapd info [WIFI.6][ADV]Connection Event: BSS=ath1, ACTION=Connectivity, SA=78:67:0e:af:xx:xx, DA=48:3f:da:c2:93:xx, STA is disconnected
2023 Feb 8 01:26:15 hostapd info [WIFI.6][ADV]Connection Event: BSS=ath1, ACTION=Connectivity, SA=78:67:0e:af:xx:xx, DA=48:3f:da:c2:85:xx, STA is disconnected
2023 Feb 8 01:26:15 hostapd info [WIFI.6][ADV]Connection Event: BSS=ath1, ACTION=Connectivity, SA=78:67:0e:af:xx:xx, DA=1c:3b:f3:2d:8d:xx STA is disconnected

The wifi spectrum where I live is very saturated, but that hasn't been a problem for over a year.  I could understand that some devices lost connectivity or had low speed because of that, but not that the router just disables the 2.4 band and never reconnects again.

I have not made any changes in my network in the last few weeks. No new devices or anything. Maybe there's been a firmware update last week that caused this issue ? 

For the moment, as a workaround, I am using a (very) old router I had lying around and set it up as a wireless access point for the 2.4 band, but I'd rather use the wifi from Verizon's router.

I just wanted to know if I'm alone in this or there's more people affected by this issue. Currently I'm out of ideas and if the problem doesn't resolve I'll just buy a third-party router.

Re: CR1000A router disabling 2.4Ghz wifi band after a few minutes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Wonx, we always want to help!-Pamela

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Wonx, my apologies, you have reached the Verizon Wireless Community forums, and we do not have access to Verizon Fios accounts. You can use the Verizon Fios contact us page to reach this team https://www.verizon.com/support/contact-us/ . -Pamela

0 Likes
wonx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Pamela, 

Thanks, I already contacted Verizon's customer support, they replaced my router, and even a technician came yesterday to have a look, but we couldn't find the root of the issue. 

The only thing I can think of is that the problem might be caused by a recent firmware upgrade. Do you know if it's possible to downgrade to the previous version? I've seen that you offer the  current and older firmwares to download at https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/equipment/open-source-software . However, when I try to load one of the firmware files inside the router website (https://192.168.1.1/#/firmware_upgrade),  the router tells me that the file is not supported.

Any ideas?

larryjkl
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is happening to me as well. Same exact symptoms. The first tech said to factory reset it but the firmware version was the same before and after so I don't see how that could help ( and it didn't ). 

Going to call again; if they can't fix it ( and it happens with a different router ) I'm just going to cancel the service; it's a bit riduclous.  I'm using my old wifi router for the moment plugged in to the back of t

I shared some screen shots with the tech; for me, it looks like in one of the log files that the dnsmasq process restarts which seems to knock out the 2.4Ghz frequency. 

P.S. Oh, and if I click on the #wifi suggested tag on the right side of this note, it takes me to another screen. Luckily it saves my draft, but really? 

wonx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi again,

On Friday I spent a while with a level 2 support technician who was very patient and helpful, and we ran a lot of tests, replicating one router configuration at a time.  We couldn't find the root cause of the issue, but apparently leaving the router with the default IP (192.168.1.1) did not cause the wifi disconnection, while previously I had it configured to 192.168.1.1.

The thing is, changing the router ip to any other subnet, like 192.168.2.1 doesn't trigger the problem either, it's only when it's set to 192.168.0.1. But why? I still don't know. It had been working fine with that ip for almost a year.

I'll keep you updated if I find out anything else.

probston
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a similar issue to you with my 2.4Ghz band dropping every day, however I haven't been able to find any short term solution other than restarting it every time. How stable has yours been since changing the IP address?

wonx
Enthusiast - Level 2

It was stable for a few hours, but I needed it to be in the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet, since I connect via VPN (wireguard) to another house that already uses the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, to avoid overlapping addresses. I thought that maybe the use of the VPN was what was crashing the wifi, but I tried disabling the whole vpn and the wifi crashed either way after a few hours.

For the moment I'm using an old router as a 2.4ghz access point, but seeing that there might be no solution, I actually ordered a Mikrotik router today to replace the Verizon Fios one.

0 Likes
probston
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm curious, did you purchase or rent your CR1000A? I got mine as part of my contract, free router with Gigabit internet. 

wonx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I also got it as part of the contract, I didn't have to pay anything extra.

0 Likes