Can't Apply Devices Error Message
Darkchiplv
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello all,

So I am at 192.168.1.1 and clicked on the Parental Controls Tab. I choose the devices below that I want to block and did the steps 1 and 2. But whenever I click Apply on the third step it kept saying,

"Input Errors"

Selected Devices: List cannot be empty.

What does this mean?

Why does this message keep prompting me every time I Input the steps 1, 2, and 3?

Message Edited by Darkchiplv on 07-24-2009 02:03 PM
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Input Error Message
i_like_turtles
Contributor - Level 1

there are 3 ways to do this.

but i have no idea how to do it specifically for your router... but u should be able to figure it out if you mess with the control panal enough ( 192.168.1.1 )

1. catch someone wirelessly connectign to it and manually blocking their MAC address.

2. Manually entering your own devices MAC addresses ( like computers and game consoles you know for a fact are your own ), as the ONLY devices that are allowed to connect

3. WEP, WPA, or whatever passwords on the wireless.

I personally use the 2nd method, as well as not broadcasting the SSID, so that the mac addresses of my macbook, my girlfriends Toshiba laptop and my Wii and DS are the only things in the world that the antenna of my wireless router are going to care about.

View solution in original post

Re: Can't Apply Devices Error Message
prisaz
Legend

@Darkchiplv wrote:

Hello all,

So I am at 192.168.1.1 and clicked on the Parental Controls Tab. I choose the devices below that I want to block and did the steps 1 and 2. But whenever I click Apply on the third step it kept saying,

"Input Errors"

Selected Devices: List cannot be empty.

What does this mean?

Why does this message keep prompting me every time I Input the steps 1, 2, and 3?

Message Edited by Darkchiplv on 07-24-2009 02:03 PM

When selecting the devices, did you click "Add" to move the devices into the "Selected Devices" list? The only way I could duplicate the error is if I was to only highlight the devices and not add them to the list on the right.

Which router do you have? Actiontec I just tested.
Message Edited by prisaz on 07-25-2009 10:26 AM
Re: Can't Apply Devices Error Message
Darkchiplv
Enthusiast - Level 2

Opps I forgot the router that I am using and it is fact in Actiontec.

Actiontec

Model Number:MI424WR

Anyways, I did "Add" the device to the "Selctive Devices list and did the steps 1,2 and 3. But the error message kept on prompting me everytime.

0 Likes
Darkchiplv
Enthusiast - Level 2
Is there any other way to block users who use my modem/router?
0 Likes
i_like_turtles
Contributor - Level 1

there are 3 ways to do this.

but i have no idea how to do it specifically for your router... but u should be able to figure it out if you mess with the control panal enough ( 192.168.1.1 )

1. catch someone wirelessly connectign to it and manually blocking their MAC address.

2. Manually entering your own devices MAC addresses ( like computers and game consoles you know for a fact are your own ), as the ONLY devices that are allowed to connect

3. WEP, WPA, or whatever passwords on the wireless.

I personally use the 2nd method, as well as not broadcasting the SSID, so that the mac addresses of my macbook, my girlfriends Toshiba laptop and my Wii and DS are the only things in the world that the antenna of my wireless router are going to care about.

Darkchiplv
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks I like Turles 🙂

I totally forgot about the MAC Address 🙂 🙂

0 Likes
mirage
Enthusiast - Level 2

Turtles. #2 has a severe weakness

Welcome to aircrack-ng suite, it can sniff both MAC addresses and SSID of the device, so a MAC filter is probably the weakest defense. 

#1 Has the same weakness since there are plenty of ways to switch your MAC address.

#3 Might work if you use WPA with a good password. 

WEP passwords are notoriously easy to break. 

Message Edited by mirage on 08-15-2009 08:37 PM
i_like_turtles
Contributor - Level 1

thats all fine and dandy, but you have to think about the fact that not everyone is a l33t computer hax0r.

i live in a college apartment complex and i never see anyone even trying to connect to it.

so either there are no MIS students in my apartment complex, or it works pretty nice.

0 Likes