Cannot connect to website on non-standard port
MutantViolet38
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just signed up for Verizon fios network. I am no longer able to connect to my synology nas hosted at a remote location. The url looks like this: 

https://<nas_url>:5001/

I could access the website when on cellular data or at other people's house internet, but I have no luck when using verizon fios. I suspect it is because the website using 5001 port instead of 443 port. Any idea on if that's the case and how to fix it?

0 Likes
Re: Cannot connect to website on non-standard port
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Fios does not block ports other than 25.

I suggest you look into network settings on the NAS or confirm the URL can be resolved by ping or other network tools.  You should also try reaching it by it's IP address to determine if DNS is an issue.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you say it cannot connect, could you elaborate? Do you see any error messages on the browser? DNS error or site cannot be reached are just two examples.

MutantViolet38
Enthusiast - Level 1

Neither IP or domain name access is possible when using Verizon. But once I switch to cellular data on my phone, I can access it. On chrome, it says "ERR_TIMED_OUT" when loading the page.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

That seems a routing issue. If you feel comfortable, can you private message me the actual IP and I am going to trace route it.