Re: Continual Loss of Internet Connection for 9 1/2 months
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What I mean by a Fresh Boot is that the modem is rebooting and thus any previous log entries are being erased. Since you're rebooting the modem, avoid doing that tonight when it goes down. Instead, when the connection drops grab a copy of the Transceiver Statistics for us once again. After that, go to "My Network" and then click on "Network Connections" from the left hand side navigation and then choose DSL Connection from the main page. Somewhere in the DSL page at the top you should see a blue connect button. Press that once and your connection should come right back up. If it doesn't, try again or wait about 5-8 minutes to let the PPPoE session expire.

Once the modem is back up, get us another copy of the system logs. If the connection does not come back up after 20 minutes, either on it's own or by your own forcing of it, grab a copy of the log before rebooting the modem or else what information it might contain will be lost, since the log is stored in RAM, not Flash Memory. From this point as long as the log is safe on your computer, do what you need to do to get the connection back up.

0 Likes
Cam9169
Enthusiast - Level 3

I understand what you want me to do.  Unfortunately I had to access my email this morning to get his post and doing so had to reboot the modem.. 

Do I not have to be connected to the internet to access the modem logs?? and if not, please advise as to where I must go to find it without being connected.

Thank you!

0 Likes
NWNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also located in Northwest New Jersey, specifically, Allamuchy Township, in the Panther Valley development.  I am experiencing the exact same problem.  I got the verizon DSL a month ago and have had dropped connections at least once a day, every day for the entire month I have had the service.  I never had these problems when I was with Century Link before.  They have sent someone out to look and he found nothing.  They sent me a new and different modem, and same problem.  This is very frustrating.  I am also tired of speaking to people on the other side of the world to get help.  

0 Likes
Cam9169
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay Smith I figured it out.  Just some more info first.  I called the local supervisor this morning and he said he was sending an email to the MCO in Maryland about our ongoing problem.  When I got home from work 3:30 EST my internet light was out on the modem.   I got the log for you prior to rebooting the modem, so I am not sure if the outage was due to MCO working on the "system" or not.

Log from 5AM to whenever the signal dropped:  http://pastebin.com/9LSSvbDV

Now here is another bit of info.  I have never been able connect or reboot the modem from the "My Network" page, the screen refreshed about 3 times and then stops.  I did what you asked (wait 5-8 minutes) and tried again...nothing.   So I had to power cycle the modem.  Here is the log after I was up:  http://pastebin.com/YBFnTeqS

I hope this helps!!  Again, Thank you

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's interesting...

Looks like for some reason the connection between the modem (DSLAM more likely) and the rest of the network is crapping out and causing the modem to be unable to communicate over the network. The log shows it trying to bring PPPoE back up, but also shows a PPPoE response timing out thus a Red Internet light is being brought up. From what I see it stopped working around noon, but the log might have cut off at that point due to overflow. There is one entry showing PPPoE authentication suceeding though!

Let me know what MCO states the problem is. Placing bets on a faulty piece of equipment causing this problem. Seems the Westell 7500s don't like the connection between the modem and the ATM network going down, as they often need a reboot as you've mentioned to fix. Modem loses sync? Takes ages to come up. VC goes down? Reboot time! PPPoE server dies? Usually recovers whenever Verizon fixes it.

0 Likes
Cam9169
Enthusiast - Level 3

Morning Smith.......Thank you for your valuable input.  I was on the phone yesterday with the local Super he was contacting the MCO again.  I never hear a word as to what the MCO says/feels the problem is.  Also been in contact with someone from the "executive appeal" dept who has done a lot of back ground work.  I have come to find out that we three neighbors are all on the same equipment (assuming RT)  I am on a different "card" from the two of them.  The person from  EA does not believe it is a congestion issue and is putting in another ticket.  They are at a loss at this point.  If nothing happens with this, she is going to try to move it up to the cable and engineering dept.  I also mentioned about another router, since someone 20 miles away from us is experiencing the same issue.....BUT they have a different router and said things seem to be better with this router.  The reason we have the Westall 7500 I was told, because that is all Verizon has.

So my question to you is, would it be worth us going out and purchasing our own router to see if this is the problem?  If so, what router would you suggest?

The local super says at least they are not calling it their "best effort" at this point.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 7500 should be just fine. They are reliable units, so I really doubt it would be the cause of the problem at the moment. Westell does have Westell 6100s and also a new D-Link unit available (rare!) so it's certainly not the only thing they offer. If you want to give it a shot though, pick up any ADSL2+ modem, bridge it, and set up your own router (can be anything) and see if that at least masks the problem.

Keep us updated as to how things go. I'm still placing bets on the ATM network messing up as the 7500 should not drop the PPPoE session. So for now, keep the 7500 in place. Verizon might otherwise balk and shoot down all tickets if they see you swapping equipment out.

0 Likes
Cam9169
Enthusiast - Level 3

Interesting.... I took it upon myself to check into the reiiabliity of the Westell 7500 and found out it is not good at all (amazon).  I found out my neighbor received a new modem from Verizon an Actiontec.  I contacted Verizon and asked for a new modem and as you stated..........was shot down.  They do not want to take the chance since I have an "open ticket" of me changing things until they are completed.  So be it, I understand that.

You had asked previously what the MCO said they would be doing.  I have checked my notes...when a test was done a "switch error" showed up, MCO did not agree with the error and they were going to be checking into the switch.

On the positive side, our signal has not dropped out since Tuesday at noon!!

Thank you for the info on the modem/router.  I honestly did not know where to start if necessary.  Will keep you informed Smith.

Again, thank you!

BTW:  Would you please enlighten us who are following this post as to your credentials?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cam9169 wrote:

BTW:  Would you please enlighten us who are following this post as to your credentials?

I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'm not a forum moderator/admin so I don't believe I can see that information. The only way I can tell is if people are Kudoing posts or replying to threads.

The only real reasons I bashed the Westell 7500 in the past was due to the poor firmware that was put onto them. I never complained about the hardware. There are still some bugs that are annoying in the firmware, but these bugs are not too much of a concern for me due to the fact that they mostly involve UPnP, which I keep disabled for security reasons anyways.

0 Likes
Cam9169
Enthusiast - Level 3

I received a phone call from the "network department" and they informed me that we are now on a "non -congested" router and are monitoring it.

I had mentioned to her about obtaining an Actiontec modem/router, she was going to submit that request to the person I have been dealing with in the EA department.  We still have an open ticket also.

Will keep you informed as to what happens.  Again, I do thank you for your valuable input.

0 Likes