Re: Continual Loss of Internet Connection for 9 1/2 months
BCos1

I see from my neighbors post and her phone call to me this weekend her problem and the neighbor down the street appears to be resolved.  Verizon made some sort of fix for them and sent them a new router/modem.  My neighbor that is now HAPPY has put in a kind word for me asking them to do the same for me.  I lost my service twice friday, three times on Saturday and twice on Sunday.

Guess we will see if I get new equipment. 

0 Likes
punkinwjen
Hello. I to am having the same problem as you all are, and for the same period of time it appears.
I have received an actiontech as well but after about two Weeks maybe I'm back to dropping internet again
I am not in NJ though I am in pa.
Any help would be appreciated I am tired of calling Verizon every day about this.
0 Likes
Cam9169
Enthusiast - Level 3

What you need to do is start keeping a log of when the signal drops out, time and date.  Unfortunately it is very difficult to get "tickets" escallated within Verizon as we three neighbors have realized.  I am on my second week after 10 months of contunual signal drops with no signal drop offs.  I feel because we posted on this forum which Verizon  monitors, is the reason we finally got the ticket escallated to a level that someone would finally listen to us.  Start a new post on this forum and see if someone from Verizon contacts you.  You can not give up, you must call the techs and let them know.  Find out also if your neighbors are dealing with the same issue as well. 

NWNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just a follow up.  Since I installed the Netgear router to the Verizon action tech modem, and have plugged all devices into the Netgear router, I HAVE NOT HAD ANOTHER PROBLEM!!!  Evidentally, the problem is their modems, they simply can't be used as routers. 

BCos1

I am afraid to jinx myself but it has been one week today since I installed the new modem/router I got and I haven't lost my signal yet.

I got an actiontech and sent that other crappy Westwell back.  I am giving it one more week before I get excited but if I had to venture a guess after almost one year it appears all it was is the stupid router.  They should have just replaced that months ago and saved everyone a lot of headaches and a lot of refunds.

0 Likes
adrockz

Hello all,

I am from Rockville area and i have same issue........

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data PathINTERLEAVED

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)864160
Margin (dB)32.831.0
Line Attenuation (dB)53.030.5
Transmit Power (dBm)15.7

0 Likes
Cam9169
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is what we three neighbors have discovered.  #1 the Westell 7500 modems are bad so if Verizon can get you another one, that is a starting point.  What we figured out was that when the internet signal drops out, the Westell's are supposed to pick the signal back up automatically and they don't.   Thus you have to power cycle your modem (turn off for 10 seconds then back on) and you will then be able to access the internet.  We all now have Actiontec modem/routers and have not really had any issues since setting them up.

#2 - Our issue Verizon believes, was also corrected because they switched our lines.  Apparently there are 2 types of DLS lines; DSL1 and DSL2, don't ask what the difference is because I can not get an answer.  So we were one one type and they they switched us to another. 

Personally we have been having another issue again, but through trouble shooting, I believe it is our laptop that is running Vista.  When we loose the internet signal and it comes back online, the laptop does not automatically detect it and we have to manually do it, which is annoying.  Vista does not have the option to automatically connect to the network when the internet comes back online.   Verizon offered to send out another modem, when questioned what the brand was and I was told it was a Westell, I flatly refused it.  I have had my fill of Westells.

All I can say is be persistent.  Do NOT give up, eventually they should escalate you to another level tech that WILL hear you. After all it only took us 10 months.  LOL   It is and will be annoying,the frustration will  bring on migraine headaches and make you want to pull out your hair as well as drink.  The first level tech's that are across the ocean are so incompetent it is not even funny.  Which makes Verizon look bad.  This is where you have to break through and get it out of their hands.  Verizon monitors this forum, and if you start a new thread, possibly it will be escalated that way. Also,  make sure you keep notes of when you loose your signal, time and date.

Good Luck!!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

DSL1 and DSL2 are commonly known as ADSL and ADSL2 (and ADSL2+). They are different revisions of the same standard, ADSL2 and ADSL2+ being newer by nature. ADSL2 and ADSL2+ have higher support for speed (24Mbps/3Mbps in Annex. G, in most cases maxing at 20Mbps/1.2Mbps when not using Annex. G), can reach out a bit farther, and if enabled, additional features that allow the changing of speed on the fly (porofile adjustment, line conditions) without dropping the connection can be enabled. ADSL2 also has native support for bonding DSL connections to improve throughput and reliability as well, so no trickery such as MLPPP or VPN will be needed to bond.

There's your answer. Much more detailed info can be found online. Wikipedia should have something.

As an FYI: Verizon is now starting to hand out D-Link Gateways. Perhaps those are much improved in case anyone is interested.

0 Likes
Cam9169
Enthusiast - Level 3

**SMITH**  Prior to realizing why we could not automatically connect with our laptop Verizon graciously offered us another modem/router............hold on to you hat...........is was the dreaded Westell 7500 supposedly an upgraded model (no comment).  When I refused it they (EA) tried to locate a D-Link for us only to be told their are none available in our area.  So they offered me a Fujitshu which is supposed to be on the order of the ActionTec.  So  to make a long story short, all they have AGAIN are Westells.  Was a "deal" made with the manufacturer or do they have an excessive amount of Westells that need to be used........probably....its only good business......but who suffers in the end?  Hand out the Westells until enough people complain and then give them the good modem/routers.   In all honestly I would have preferred a D-Link over the ActionTec..........but alas, I have no clout within Verizon.

The problem with the Actiontec we are finding is the wireless range is compromised, the answer to that is purchasing a "repeater".  🙂

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah, ok. Figured I'd state that out anyways just to get the information out about it. Now you're making me wonder if Verizon has perhaps any Netgear 7550s floating around. They do have a boatload of 7500s in stock, same with 6100s and they don't really seem to mind handing them out. It would be awesome if they'd fix some of the beefs I have with the firmware on the 7500s though, one of which you've obviously come across. For a Linux-based unit it runs rather bad 😕

A Fujitsu modem? The last time I remember Verizon using Fujitsu modems were when they first built the DSL Network back in the Bell Atlantic/NYNEX days and it operated on the Frame Relay Network instead of the ATM network, and you could only get DSL out of the CO from large Fujitsu DSLAMs. None of the nice tiny stuff that drops into outdoor cabinets existed back then when the Fujitsu gear was in use. I know Fujitsu doesn't really manufacture DSL modems anymore, but it makes me wonder what they would have sent out. That was also way back in the day where you actually needed to make a PPPoE connection on your computer to dial in, but those were also the days where adding a dumb switch onto a dumb modem and having multiple PCs establish a PPPoE session would give you as many Public IPs as you had machines/dialers. 🙂

0 Likes