Re: DSL Connection Dropping Intermittently.
pist0ns

Same issues in zip code 20010. I am absolutely convinced this is a fault on their end. Verizon, do something about the issue.

0 Likes
masho95
Enthusiast - Level 3

Acording to those tracert's you are losing all the packets on your end, which would mean either the modem or your computer. Why do you believe the problem lies with Verizon at this point?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@masho95 wrote:

Acording to those tracert's you are losing all the packets on your end, which would mean either the modem or your computer. Why do you believe the problem lies with Verizon at this point?

Well, you have to consider all of the gear between the respondant device at the end (either the modem, or further adding equipment, the PC) and then of course what is in between the end and the edge router which in his case happens to be a Juniper ERX. Between there you have the physical copper plant, the DSLAM, ATM switches, trunk lines (can be Fiber or Copper back to the CO), more switches, more trunk lines, PVC configurations and quality of service configurations, and the trunk to the edge router itself, and the edge router itself as a culprit. There's a lot at play and unless it's a physical issue with the copper circuit or the modem not accepting data at times it's typically on Verizon's end.

0 Likes
MisterTechnical
Enthusiast - Level 3

Regarding packet loss on my end:

While that looks like the case, Real time tests with pingplotter and other polling software  show packet loss at hops between verizon equipment, most often on hop 2-4. (which are the front end router - I dont know what else).

Also, other computers in my house have the same problem, the modem is new (not even a week old), and both computers work flawlessly wired and wireless at other locations.

I cannot say that I believe, based on that, that it has anything to do with bad equipment on my end, and configuration settings are set  correctly, to the best of my knowledge.

0 Likes
The_Toddler

Not to mention the fact that I and several posters in this thread and others are reporting the same issue in the same area. 20009 here, by the way.

0 Likes
DCGypsies

While I don't have any traceroute data to contribute at this time, I want to point out that I am in 20010 and am experiencing this exact problem.  I've been on the phone with a technician from the Chronic Intermittency Team who is supposed to be getting in touch with the network center that houses the routers in question.  The latest theory is that the problem lies between the Verizon gni (?) router and the ALTER.NET router.

While this technician has been very helpful and knowledgable -- a vast improvement over the Bangalore crowd -- I am going to wait and see whether the problem gets fixed.  This is my last resort.  Another day or two of this and I am cancelling DSL.

Why do we end customers have to solve this problem for Verizon?  I mean, I'm an engineer and I work in telecom so I don't mind getting my hands dirty but I do enough of this for WORK!

0 Likes
DCGypsies

pist0ns,

I am in 20010 and seeing this very issue.  The issue is very definitely with Verizon and not with our equipment.

0 Likes
Bron5
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am in Richmond VA area (232xxx) and have been having the same problem for last several months.  Gave up on useless Verizon Tech Support.  They are clueless.  Definitely a problem at Verizon end and I have talked to people in other areas both nearby (i.e.. within 25 mile radius) and farther away having same issues.  Something wrong with Verizon DSL service itself.  At this point, I will be looking for another service provider.  Verizon FIOS is available, but not sure I want to keep dealing with Verizon after this.  May go back to Comcast which I had at another location and which was much better overall.

I should say, for 9 months or so my DSL service was fine.  Others told me they had great service for years until recent;y when they began having similar problems.  So apparently something major happened at Verizon and/or they are for some insane reason content to drive away their DSL customers.  Someone who might know told me that Verizon wants to terminate DSL service and "get rid of copper completely."  No way of knowing if that is true.

At any rate, I am fed up and will be going elsewhere as soon as I can arrange it.

0 Likes
The_Toddler

Well, after the Verizon rep failed to make her promised second follow-up call, I contacted them again. The new rep said he couldn't detect any trouble, but would escalate the issue to his networking team or whatever. He couldn't get them on the line, so he said they would monitor my line (and that I shouldn't turn the modem off) be in touch within 24-48 hours.

This morning I got an automated call to say that their tests show an outage in the area and that I should keep my modem turned on while the tests continue, and that I'd be notified when the problem was fixed. I'm extremely skeptical, but I report back when I have any news.

Anyone else have any updates? 

0 Likes
Bron5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Still having the same problems in RIC VA area.  Running at 640 Kbps vurrently.  Occasionally I will get good speeds for a short time but it inevitbaly drop and goes back into the slow speeds. And then it will drop and connect back at a higher speed and so on until it just starts the whole cycle all over again.  I did have about 8 hours stable yesterday.

Look at the forums - this is happenign to lots of people all over the country it seems.  Probably thousands or more.  Most woould enver come here to post.

Good luck!

0 Likes