Re: DSL Slower With Periodic Outages Since Irene
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A new modem won't solve this. I smell a typical problem occurring here...

By any chance, what is the output of http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html ? Mind pasting it up (make sure your IP address is NOT revealed! Your IP can be found at http://whatismyip.com/ )

As far as a higher package goes, post up your modem logs for me to see. Your statistics state you're good for pretty much anything up to and perhaps over 10Mbps/1Mbps so that's great to see. I want to ensure the line isn't having issues dropping out first.

warwick1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Smith6612,   here is the data from that:

news.giganews.com

1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 3 ms 0 ms 0 ms
2 xe-2-3-0.er1.iad10.us.above.net (209.66.64.189) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
3 xe-1-0-0.er2.iad10.us.above.net (64.125.25.50) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
4 above-uu.iad10.us.above.net (64.125.13.174) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
5 0.ae1.RES-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (152.63.32.142) 0 ms 18 ms 0 ms
6 P0-0-0-0.PRVDRI-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net (130.81.22.37) 25 ms 14 ms 18 ms
7 G2-0.PRVDRI-PRVDRIWA-ERXG03.verizon-gni.net (130.81.46.241) 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms

Thanks for your input.

0 Likes
warwick1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Smith6612, if it is something typical I hope you can share it so I can relay it to Verizon. 

My physical installation at my computer is sound - there is nothing wrong with my computer or the modem.  If there is some response I can give Verizon that stops their tech support from demanding things like clearing caches, rebooting the modem, reinstalling software, or other irrelevant, time-consuming grueling and useless measures - I'd like to know.  The tests I've done show that there is nothing wrong with my setup, and that there is a transmission problem of some kind. 

Right now, Verizon is insisting on sending me a new modem.  I know I have about a week of grueling work ahead with that.  I just don't have the time to take from my work.  When I tried using Verizon's own firmware update for my Westell 6100, Verizon's software didn't work.  I spent hours diagnosing my network connection when the new firmware prevented my modem from connecting to the internet.  After about 3 hours, I was able to figure out how to roll back the firmware to my original configuration.  Then I had my usual slow speed back, but at least I had a connection.   If the firmware that comes with the new modem is anything like what it is on the My Verizon website, I won't have any connection at all - it will be just like what I got - dead air.

0 Likes
warwick1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here's a speed test:

Test Type:Application Speed
Upload Speed:134 kbps
Speed Consistency:25 %
Round Trip Time:54 ms
Max Delay:1243 ms
Average Delay:31 ms
Bandwidth:728 kbps
Max Route Speed:9709 kbps
Route Concurrency:2.1
Test Type:s / s
Round Trip Time Consistency:71 %
0 Likes
warwick1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here are my newest stats from Visualware.  What do all the packet retransmissions mean?

TCP Send Stats

Packets Retransmitted:

Bytes Retransmitted:

Retransmit Timeouts:

Fast Transmits:

Duplicate acks received:

Persist timer timeouts:

Acks received for unsent data:

Pure window upd pkts:

Windows probes sent:

Send window close events:

Test Type:

Quality Test

Download Speed:

249 kbps

Upload Speed:

139 kbps

Round Trip Time:

44 ms

Max RouteSpeed:

11915 kbps

Max Pause:

4244 ms

Bandwidth:

736 kbps

Forced Idle:

Average Delay:

45 ms

Round Trip Time Consistency:

1 %

Concurrent TCP:

Upload Speed Consistency:

94 %

Test Type:

s / s

TCP MTU:

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

If you're haveing phone line drop-outs and noise, I would get these addressed first before dealing with digital issues.  Suggest you call the Verizon business office from your cell and have them run a test on the line when it's making the noise or cuts out.

0 Likes
warwick1
Enthusiast - Level 3

As previously stated there is no phone noise.  There is no line drop out.  The line has already been tested by Verizon according to their technical support, and they say it is OK.

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

" I also get periodic outages; some with both land line phone and DSL outages. "

From your first post.  Was this not true?

0 Likes
warwick1
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, perhaps I wasn't clear...   At various times, I have had outages of both land line and DSL, or DSL alone since Irene.  It is occasional - not daily.  Whenever I do have both DSL and land line, the DSL speeds are always very slow.   There is no land line noise.  Verizon claimed that my line was fine. 

What concerns me the most is the slow internet speeds.  My latest download speed was 271 Kbps - a far cry from the .500 Kbps to 1Kbps in my plan.  The highest download speed I can achieve is .380 Kbps.  What I am interested in is the packet loss and retransmits, and the slowing of the speed near my CO shown in tests, and what it means. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Er, yeah. Figured that was the case. Gotta get you off that Juniper or we've got to change some settings in the network relating to your line. I'll direct you to someone who will fix this up for you. Check your PMs.

As far as Packet Re-transmissions mean, it means that due to whatever reason, either an incorrect Receive Window, Network Congestion, or Packet Loss, TCP had to send another packet to replace a damaged or lost packet. There's something with the way QoS between the Juniper ERX routers and some of Verizon's gear out in the field behaves when a specific QoS setting is enabled, and it seems to cause problems with data transfers. There's a few fixes for it if this is truly a Juniper problem, and that is what we're going to find out.

0 Likes