DSL dropping out
Josey23
Enthusiast - Level 3

Our low-rent DSL service (768k) has developed problems over the past month. After five years of NEVER GOING OUT NOT ONCE, the DSL service for our house has started to drop out several times a day for hours at a time.  We have a Westell 327W modem connected to our PC by a wire. We don't use the wireless.

Our DSL light comes on and flashes but the Internet light goes dark or (sometimes) red.  Verizon confirmed it after an hour-long phone call. It is most annoying that every communication with them requires us to go through the entire process every time (do you have line filters? )  You would think that a they would be able to pull up a record of any of our communications over the past month but, no.  We hate them, of course.

They were supposed to come out this morning but the truck was sucked up by a UFO (OK, Verizon actually did not give a reason for their no show).

We also have had heavy static on our voice line during this period, which we are assured has nothing to do with our DSL problems. The static and DSL problems began about the time our neighborhood began to get wired for FIOS. We are assured this has nothing to do with our problems.

Would I be so paranoid as to think they would deliberately degrade our service to 'force' us to switch to FIOS? They have given me little reason to believe otherwise.

Message Edited by Josey23 on 01-20-2009 01:07 PM
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DSL dropping out
Josey23
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon surprised us by finding a technician to come to our house a couple days ahead of schedule (make note to be seriously squeaky wheel from now on).  The technician that was here last week replaced the line from the pole and installed an NID. Unfortunately, the NID was not installed properly. This week's technician fixed the NID and now our voice and DSL services are working nicely.  I think the 60 year old line from the pole was the problem.

The static on our voice line is gone and the DSL is working nicely.  The downstream margin is 25 to 28 db; up from 1.5 to 7 db.

Let's call it solved.

View solution in original post

Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Believe me, were not out to degrade your service, however; installing Fios is a huge undertaking and sometimes cables or terminals get bumped.  As for the condition of your line ...it could have a direct reflection on the dsl service you recieve.  If your having static, contact the regular repair....also keep the ticket going for the dsl department...

If your line condition is suffering, so will your Dsl on most occassions.

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
You have a metallic noise trouble on your line. DSL is very forgiving about noise until it runs out of frequency spectrum. You definitely need a tech to come out and fix your trouble. Once the tech determines where the trouble is it will fix both the DSL and phone line.
0 Likes
Josey23
Enthusiast - Level 3

A typical day today with a few more dropouts of our DSL.

Here's some  numbers from our modem:

It's been up for almost half an hour.

Connection Information

Connection Name    Connection Duration    Status   Number of Reconnects 

My Connection             00:26:42                 UP                6

Transceiver Revision:       4.3.0.1      

Vendor ID Code:               4

Line Mode:               ADSL2+ Mode

Data Path:               Interleaved

Transceiver Information       Down Stream Path   Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)             679               156

Margin (dB)                              7.0               30.0

Line Attenuation (dB)               41.5               25.5

Transmit Power (dBm)             19.3               6.9

It's a bunch of numbers to me - I don't know what the normal ranges are.

Message Edited by Josey23 on 01-20-2009 07:51 PM
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Your download margin is too low that is why you keep dropping your connection. You need that tech.
Josey23
Enthusiast - Level 3

What do margin should I have on the down stream?  I've only been looking at those numbers for a couple days and I've seen it as low as 1.5 db and as high as 7 or 8 db. 

The person we spoke to on the phone a few days ago said that they saw our line dropping out and they would be 'testing the line'.  Does Verizon see these numbers and are they likely to come to the same conclusion?  Is the problem likely to be at their end or our end?

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@Josey23 wrote:

Is the problem likely to be at their end or our end?

Could be either, and without being there it's just a guess. An easy way to determine is to go outside and plug a phone into the network interface (if you have one)

0 Likes
Josey23
Enthusiast - Level 3

I live in a single family home but we don't have a network interface device.  We've had a Verizon technician out to try to fix the static on our voice line (I think we're on month three of that journey) and he confirmed that the static problem is on the Verizon side. 

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
You should be 10db or above to hold a stable connection.
Josey23
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it.

Here are some entries from the diagnostic logs.

THU JAN 22 07:05:55 2009      PPP CONNECTION ERROR on VPI 0 VCI 35 : Could not establish PPPoE session

WED JAN 21 08:14:01 2009 PPP DISCONNECTED on VPI 0 VCI 35 : PPP commanded down 

WED JAN 21 00:18:40 2009 LAN PC Unable to communicate with DNS Server. (error = 'connection refused', count = 6)

WED JAN 21 00:18:40 2009 Disconnecting session(-1): due to PADT received 

0 Likes