Re: DSL dropping out
Josey23
Enthusiast - Level 3

We are supposed to have a real heart to heart with Verizon this week about our voice and DSL problems. To date, our calls to Verizon seem to start from the beginning ("do you have filters on your line?") with little knowledge of what has gone on before. Frustrating. We were remiss not to start a written log of every phone call and "ticket" in this process but I now want to move toward a solution.

Hey experts: What numbers/data/whatever should I dig up or figure out so that I can have a discussion with a Verizon technician? Is there a list somewhere that would tell me what downstream margins, lost packets or reconnections would help them identify the problem?  What settings can I control that would avoid/solve my disconnection problems; is there a way to adjust line attenuation or does the modem do that automatically?

Right now I'm going with the tidbit that the downstream margin should be 10db or better (I've been running 1.5 to 7 db). 

I don't want the discussion to be: "Your DSL works at this instant so your problem is solved, bye."

I am really optimistic this week that my Verizon service will return to being a "utility" that simply provides dependable service in return for a month check.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Hi Josey,

You don't need any of those readings.  THe Dsl tech should have a test meter to check the levels on the line.  Good for isolating where he's loosing the signal.

What ever happened to the guy scheduled to come out to check your line?

I would make appointment with these 2 numbers...890-6611 repair service...this is to clear the static {please see Provider7's post about the Canadian number here}.  this is a really good group and they speak English!

Make an appointment with both, cause one of those guys is bound to clear the trouble.

Message Edited by Kathleen on 02-16-2009 09:26 AM
0 Likes
Josey23
Enthusiast - Level 3

>>What ever happened to the guy scheduled to come out to check your line?

The technician came on 1/23 and did some work on our outside line.  He said that it was fixed, and for a little while the DSL worked.  After a couple hours the DSL went away and has been out for three days now.  The dial tone is gone too; we cannot make or receive telephone calls. A bummer all around. 

Verizon said that they should be able to get a technician out to our house by 1/31.

>>I would make appointment with these 2 numbers...890-6611 repair service...this is to clear the static and

{please see Provider7's post about the Canadian number here}. 

Who are these folks - Verizon? We've already got tickets going with Verizon on the voice and DSL problems. Lots of tickets.

Message Edited by Kathleen on 02-16-2009 09:31 AM
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
Yes, they are contacts for Verizon.  I'm not positive the 890 number works in your area, but the Canadian Dsl number works for everyone.  If you already have tickets open then i'm sure they will get this resolved.
0 Likes
Josey23
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon surprised us by finding a technician to come to our house a couple days ahead of schedule (make note to be seriously squeaky wheel from now on).  The technician that was here last week replaced the line from the pole and installed an NID. Unfortunately, the NID was not installed properly. This week's technician fixed the NID and now our voice and DSL services are working nicely.  I think the 60 year old line from the pole was the problem.

The static on our voice line is gone and the DSL is working nicely.  The downstream margin is 25 to 28 db; up from 1.5 to 7 db.

Let's call it solved.

Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
Glad to hear it Josey 🙂
0 Likes
Josey23
Enthusiast - Level 3

The funny part was getting a phone call and a letter from our U.S. Representative's office ONE day after the repair was made (and two days after we called asking for our assistance).  They wanted to confirm that our phone and DSL services were working properly. Getting the job done; no wonder this guy gets re-elected in a walk every two years.

0 Likes