Re: Drop in Upload Speed
jkiv
Contributor - Level 1

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

@JoeK wrote:

So I reset the Desktops Network Settings to the Windows Default and then re-ran the optimizer. 

out of curiosity did you run the speed test after returning the network settings to windows default, before running the optimizer?

Yes.  I ran multiple speed test on both machines before and after EVERY change and the laptop PC was NOT optimized before I noticed the poor Upload Speeds and therefore was still set to the Windows default when I got the <7 Mbps speed result.  Only the Destop had to be reset to the Windows default and I tested it several times after with poor results.  Both PC showed dramatic improvement in Upload Speed after optimizing them.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

very very strange, I work in the registry for windows all the time, and I have never seen an upload registry edit. but there are tons of edits that affect download speed.

I wonder which setting corrected the upload.   

Even if you go here, http://www.speedguide.net/articles.php?category=93   there aren't any upload affecting registry tweaks in windows.

very odd indeed, BUT!!!!!!  if it works it works, I'll give it a shot the next time an upload speed issue comes along, and maybe take a snapshot of the registry before and after to see if I can compare and contrast the two.

kudos to VZ though for coming through with such an awesome tool for their users.

0 Likes
jkiv
Contributor - Level 1

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

very very strange, I work in the registry for windows all the time, and I have never seen an upload registry edit. but there are tons of edits that affect download speed.

I wonder which setting corrected the upload.   

Even if you go here, http://www.speedguide.net/articles.php?category=93   there aren't any upload affecting registry tweaks in windows.

very odd indeed, BUT!!!!!!  if it works it works, I'll give it a shot the next time an upload speed issue comes along, and maybe take a snapshot of the registry before and after to see if I can compare and contrast the two.

kudos to VZ though for coming through with such an awesome tool for their users.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 1 desktop and 2 laptops on my home network and up until recently all were using Vista 32bit.  I never ran the VZ Optimiser on any of them and was getting great speeds on both my previous 15/5 Plan and my now 25/15 Plan.  It was only after I installed Windows 7 on 2 of the PC's that I experienced a drop in Upload speeds and only on them. 

I don't know what changes occured with the Optimizer, but the results are unmistakeable.  Pehaps it is only relevant in Win 7?

0 Likes
jenz

I, too, can confirm that the upload problem was solely isolated to Windows 7 itself (I use 64bit).  In the end, believe it or not, the solution was to run the Fios optimizer (make sure you right click on IE, run as administrator and following the changes, reboot your system).

I was getting horrible upload (less than half of my plan), so I called tech support.  The agent wanted to run the Verizon Fios optimizer, which I balked at since I had no clue why he wanted to make a change on my PC itself.  He ran network tests, rebooted the ONT and router still no improvement in upload.  I said I would call back after troubleshooting myself.

I ran speedtests with different OSs.  On my Mac and XP machines, I was hitting my correct upload speeds over and over again, so this led me away from Verizon or hardware problems and directly to Windows 7.  On Windows 7, I ran the test again and still no where close to my upload.   I ran the Verizon optimizer (scary, because it doesn't tell you what it changes) and rebooted my machine.  Now, I'm hitting my upload speeds just as consistently as on my XP and Macs.  Weird, but it is definitely something in Windows 7.

0 Likes