E3200 Fios Extender - ethernet delay
larrysinnj

Became a Fios customer about four months ago.  New apartment install in a 1950s vintage building.  Installer, who appeared very knowledgeable, suggested that I would have Wi-fi issues with thick cinder block walls, suggested I go with their MoCA-based Home Network Solution for an extra $10/mo.  Quite happy with it, and I've decided to toss my 3-5 yr old Orbi Router and ActionTec MoCA hardware that I used in my former home with Optimum service.

Only question - my Windows 11 computer which is hard wired into the E3200 extender takes about one minute from boot to find the ethernet connection.  I have a VOIP phone on the other phone which remains uninterrupted.

Perhaps a dhcp issue?

0 Likes
94 Replies
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to start a new conversation on the most relevant board. Thanks!

enderquince

Was there ever a resolution to this issue? A few years after the original post and I am seeing this exact behavior on my extender..

0 Likes
AbcEasyAs123

Chiming in that I also have this problem. I recently got my Fios speed upgraded and needed the new router (CR1000A). However, I have a desktop that doesn't have a wireless card, and the only wiring over by it was a coax port, so the Verizon tech installed a E3200 repeater there to give me a hardline connection to my computer. When booting up or resuming from sleep on Win 10, there is a delay of a minute or so before the internet starts working. 

Setting a static IP didn't seem to help, nor did disabling IPv6 (which I really don't want to do anyway). A friend has a spare gigabit switch, so I'll  borrow that and try using it this weekend and report back. 

0 Likes
AbcEasyAs123

Success! I got a very simple 4-port gigabit switch from a friend, and plugged the router into the input and my computer into the output. Keep in mind that you'll need an extra ethernet cable. The internet now works immediately after startup or resuming from sleep - it appears that the DHCP reservation stays for a while. Note that I haven't tried this after an extended period (during which the IP reservation could expire), but I tried it a few times over the course of an hour, and each time the internet was instantly working. 

I don't like that this is the path I had to take, but it's a good and simple workaround to the issue. I'd recommend it for anyone rather than waiting for Verizon to make a fix for a problem that's over 2 years old now. 

0 Likes
ElmoTheElk

I just had the E3200 installed yesterday as well and have the same problem.

I spent an hour on the phone with Tech and Customer Service to get them to pay for a Moca adapter that will allow me to circumvent the E3200.  They ultimately credit me $100 for it.

Sharing this - as I think for them to fix this, they need to start seeing the $ they lose paying for adapters to fix this issue.

0 Likes
GClem

Three days from the two year mark on this thread, and its still there.
Just got it installed. Called Verizon. Got a 'senior tech' and they couldn't understand the issue. They kept thinking I didn't have the extender. Then they kept verify whether it was working on not.  It works after a minute.
I got too frustrated and hung up.
Not looking forward to getting a switch with coax and hooking it up.

0 Likes
Didjit
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was able to solve this by connecting my PC to a network switch rather than directly to the extender.  The switch is able to make an instant connection, and meanwhile maintains a constant connection to the extender and thus avoids its connection delay.  Theoretically it introduces a miniscule amount of delay, but that shouldn't be enough to affect gaming response time.

0 Likes
Silversurfer1
Contributor - Level 1

I used a network switch as well.  Worked like a charm. 

0 Likes
RyanYun

I had my Verizo n router/extender installed last week. And then connected my desktop(WIN10) to the E3200 extender with an ethernet cable. The same problem came out immediately. 

Has this issue been solved?

0 Likes
LarryS_In_NYC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am the thread starter almost 2 years ago.  Just noticed that my Extender had it's firmware updated about 3 ½  months ago.  The issue still exists...

0 Likes
cbaquol

Jan 2023 and this is still an issue.

0 Likes
Jim7771

I tried every trick in the book, the only two things that made an impact were:

1- keeping wifi enabled as a fallback (totally unacceptable)

2- add a 16$ gigabit switch between the extender and the computers (not great, but works)

0 Likes
Bleb1
Enthusiast - Level 3

One more user experiencing the same delay.  Does anyone know if the proper folks at Verizon have been informed and are likely to do anything?  If so, what would a fix look like?

0 Likes
JustLou
Enthusiast - Level 2

Disabling IPv6 is not a solution I find acceptable even if it works getting rid of the delay.

0 Likes
pweezy

I have this issue as well with my desktop PC, which is running Windows 11.

I've learned that if I enable both the ethernet and WiFi connections on my PC, Windows will automatically disconnect WiFi (to save power) once the ethernet connection has been established.

My WiFi connection is much slower than ethernet, as you'd expect, but I have both enabled. When my PC first wakes from sleep it connects to WiFi within a couple of seconds; then, about 2 minutes later, it seamlessly switches over to ethernet and the WiFi disconnects.

If your PC has both options, I recommend giving that a try - while we wait for a proper fix for the extender to come out, if ever...

0 Likes
davidsetlock

Feb 2023 - I am having the same issue - will Verizon ever do something to fix this?

0 Likes
Riggs33

This is ridiculous. Shouldn't have to put a switch in the middle. My equipment is 3 weeks old and having the same issue. Needs to be fixed !

0 Likes
MontevideoBogTe

Anyone have any updates with this? Still struggling...

0 Likes
David910

I can confirm, the work around of using a gigabite switch as a middle man removes the issues of the  second downtime after a reboot to get onto the internet from a hardwire connection to the extender.

We shouldn't need to use work arounds, verizon needs to address and fix the issue, but it helps for now.

0 Likes
SebKuk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just an update on this: I posted a while ago about using a powerline adaptor with ethernet ports as an ethernet switch to keep everything "awake" while it is off, and I just got around to buying an actual switch. I got a TP-Link 8 port switch for $20 but there are cheaper options that can be as low as $12 or $15 for a 5 port gigabit switch. It has worked great for this purpose and my computer connects immediately now.

However, this cannot be considered a solution, and is instead a workaround that we should not have to pay money for. Hope this helps!