Re: Extremely slow DSL speeds recently (PA)
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Grey wrote:

@Smith6612: Appreciate the insight into the SLC/DSLAM, utilization, and connections. I might have a way to test between two Erie DSL sites tonight, which may highlight my line, or the upstream equipment.

Going to have to keep working on it, and not get too angry at the support techs. Just need to find the right words to get them to look further than my local PC equipment (which, at the end of the day, must be a significant form of failure with them...)

It's become significant as the DSL network begins to show it's age against the onslaught of bandwidth-intensive services. It's been getting upgraded, but not to the rate it was in the past. More investment is being put into Wireless, Backbone, and FiOS capacity. There's also gear that's not quite running up to full operating capability because it's also not being pushed, which is the case with any ISP.

Ideally to prove it's not the PC, you need to ensure you can find a connection capable of hitting your downstream speed, but if 768kbps works enough to prove speeds, then that's fine. Ideally, you should try to find a line that runs through roughly the same equipment: Edge router, DSLAM, ATM switch. That way it stays more local. With the SLCs, the deal may be a bit different where it has to haul back to the CO first and then return, but it isolates router connectivity to the backbone and some other parts of the CO network. Either way, I'd have them investigate your issue by checking for congestion. My contact who normally does this is out for a month or two, so he won't be able to help until probably December.

Grey5
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Smith6612: Thank you for the help.

Last night I was able to get the luck of the draw on calling a phone support tech who stated I'd got to someone who could help. She was able to look at all the live support notes, and created a case number. However, there had been some issue this week that could be related to the problem, but noted that it was fixed, but my situation had not been resolved.

I stated that my downloads go bad at the times in question, and that I had found that all my uploads were at 80% of my upload speed through the times I had 5% of my download speed (I opened a port to allow a random png file of 2.9M to get to a remote system via wget).

She went through a line test that required me not to be on the phone (I assume a line test from the CO down the copper) and stated she would call back. I was pleasently surprised that she did in fact call me back (after I got the case number).

I was told that they need to look into the congestion, and utilization, and the tests needed could take up to 24 hours (seems that one of the upstream offices support people were either very busy, or not there outside of work hours). I've also been told that a new modem is on its way, but that was more due to my pre-2007 model in use, and if they want to swap transport for the DSL, the old modem's firmware could limit my options, but I was told that the modem itself isn't going to be the fix (to me this indicates something else wasn't looking correct from their end).

I already knew this means there is no quick fix for the issue, but happy that a case is open, and that steps to move forward are occuring. If I hear anything else, or if my situation suddenly improves, I'll update this thread.

Incidently, I have the default gateway of 71.116.32.1, but a friend in the Erie PA area is attached to the 108.32.68.1 (l101.eriepa-dsl-03.verizon-gni.net) and not had any issues. I'd be curious to which default route all the people who have trouble are attached to.

JYoung2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your comments, but they are too technical for my understanding.  Do you have a contact at Verizon or idea how we get them to look at the problem?  Going through the normal internet personnel does not seem fruitful.  There must be an Erie, Pa based service manager.  I am keeping a watchful eye for a Verizon service truck!!!

0 Likes
JYoung2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the information.  My address is{edited for privacy}.  Is there anything I can do to reenforce your work to establish a case number?

0 Likes
Grey5
Enthusiast - Level 3

Looks like something changed as of 5:30pm. At 3pm my bandwidth dropped, then at 6pm I tried streaming from the xbox, and it pulled data at a decent amount. Best so far for a whole week.

Interestingly enough, there has been no change on my side. The router is the same, it hasn't rebooted, has the same IP, same default gateway. No stats are any different. No vans have been seen.

If someone wants to try asking by phone that they have the same problem, you could try asking to reference case: pahm01grb1, or pahm01gvgw  (the 0 are zeros). I called through: 1-800-837-4966, and did the basic "yes, I rebooted", to the automated question, then get a tech.

I'll update if I get any other details, or the system reverts to bad bandwidth again.

0 Likes
JYoung2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yesterday I passed a Verizon field service tech in Cambridge Springs.  I stopped and talked to him about the slow internet after 3 pm.  He said he is experiencing the same thing and it started at his house on Thursday, Oct. 20.  He gave the impression it is quite wide spread.  He has been reporting it each day this week.  He had no idea when it would be solved, but said it is related to dsl traffic and is a Verizon problem.  At least it is good to know that people at the local level are aware of the problem.

0 Likes
Extremely slow DSL upload speed recently in Edinboro PA
CJHorne1

Like the rest of you, I have been enduring extremely low upload speeds for the past 2 weeks here in Edinboro.

I have had Verizon DSL for many years.  Problems have been few but when there are problems, communicating with the Verizon beauracracy is very difficult.

Before calling in, I tried my modem in bridged and routed bridge modes...both had the same low upload speed probelm.  When I initially called in for support on this low upload speed problem, I was told my modem was bad.  I didn't believe it.  Called and talked to another tech who did some tests and again said the modem was bad.  Received a new modem and problem was unchanged which was no suprise to me.  Called and reported that; they transferred me to a network engineer and was told they would work on the problem.  After several days, received an automated call saying problem was fixed.  The only thing I could see was the maximum download speed was dialed back from 7.1 MBS to 6.2 MBS, but problem with low speed was unchanged.  The measured speed measures as low as 0.2 MBS.  Generally seems to be higher in early morning and very low at night.  I call again and am told...there were 2 problems: One was unique to me and it is corrected.  There is another problem with a Verizon server affecting many customers, and it will be corrected by tomorrow night.  I told the tech this has been going on for 2 weeks.  He agreed it has but again stated it will be corrected by tomorrow night.  I hope he is correct, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

I have to wonder...if a server connected to my computer is bad, then why didn't the techs know this on previous calls, instead of doing these tests, sending me a new modem, etc..,.no mention of a servier problem.

0 Likes
Grey5
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well. Sadly, I have to report the same issue has returned (and I was so hopeful of it being fixed).

I saw the post about the tech remarks for Cambridge Springs (lets just say I'm close to there). All these comments are showing me that the new modem isn't going to help (should be deleived tomorrow). There has been no update on the case number.

This does feel like too much going through a router or server; once you have a pipe from you to the destination server, it says constant, but close the port and try again after a certain time drops your speed.

0 Likes
Bealegirl2

I am having the same problem - was on the phone fpr probably a total of 3 hours with techs that are difficult to understand - "it must be your computer" "it must be your modem" "can you restart in Safe Mode?" "you live near a college campus, that's going to happen, that's normal"

I have had internet for 10 years - this is as bad as dial-up.

I am paying for high-speed, and I can't even load an Internet page at times, let alone play a YouTube video or watch a Netflix movie.

I talked to a rep at Verizon this evening, who again tried the whole rebooting of my modem . . . blah, blah. I tried explaining that it isn't just MY Internet - it's many in this area. He said he would report it to 'Central'. I don't believe him, because last week when they were scheduling a technician to come to my house, I told them my availability, They scheduled me for Monday. I recieved an automated call on Monday morning saying that my technician was scheduled for Tuesday between 8am and 7pm.

What?! I called back and reminded them that my appointment was for Monday between 1pm and 5pm. The guy I spoke to assured me they would come Monday. Well, Monday at 4:30pm, I got another automated call, reminding me of my TUESDAY appointment. GRRRR. Again, I called and reminded them that I wouldn't be home until 2:30pm on Tuesday. The representative told me that he would tell the technician.

I got home on Tuesday around 2pm, and find a note from Verizon, saying they were here at 11am. What. The. Beep.

The note also said the tests were fine, and that maybe my system is old. No. It is about 7 or 8 months old, very good computer, not to mention that my neighbors with their computers have the same Internet issues, while those using COAX are fine.

Sorry for the rant, I've been dealing with extremely slow net for two weeks now. Speedtest tonight couldn't even load, and when it finally did, it gave a reading of 0.06 Mbps. Terrible.

0 Likes
w3iax
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same story as others here.  Located in Edinboro (Franklin TWP) area.

Been recording speeds for about 5 days.

Multiple calls to VZ.  Almost evryone pushes back pointing finger at my equipment.  Told them it is fine, problem is with VZ as many neighbors same boat.

On Friday (9/28) the VZ rep decided to send a tech out - to my house !  Keep telling them we have evidence problem is VZ's system - tey don't seem to want to hear that.  One of the many support people acknowledged an "outage".

This morning about 9AM a small white unmarked truck pulled in driveway.  No credentials, guy says he is going in my house.  I told him he was not going inside my house, no need to (besides my 90 year old parents I am caring for were still sleeping).  So the guy said "OK, goodbye" and he left.

I called VZ again to report this situation.  Again I was told about an outage and advised I would receive a text message to my cell phone when repaired.  We will.

All data indicates a "time of day" problem probably driven by usage and inadequate bandwidth.

I was told by one of the VZ reps that  I would receive a billing credit for 15 days service in 1-2 billing cycles - again we will see.

Too bad VZ has to be in denial and push back on their customers.  Not sure if there is any route of appeal.

Stay tuned.

0 Likes