FIOS MI424WR: What is the difference between WPA2 and 64-bit WEP KEY?
VAer1
Enthusiast - Level 3

See attached screenshot:

Wireless Status > WPA2: This is my new WiFi password

Basic Security Settings > 64-BIT WEP KEY: This is identical to my previous WiFi password (I set my previous WiFi password as 10 digit number).

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS MI424WR: What is the difference between WPA2 and 64-bit WEP KEY?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

WEP is insecure.  It is easily hacked with readily available hacking tools.  Do not use it.  Use WPA2 or better.

The MI424WR was end-of-lifed long ago by Actiontec, and has been out of support from Verizon for years.  It no longer receives any firmware updates, including security patches.  It is an insecure, out-of-date device.  It should be removed from service as soon as possible.

If you have Verizon set-top-boxes and/or like having Verizon supported equipment, you can purchase a used G1100 online for under $40.  Just make sure the sell has a fair return policy in case the unit has non-Verizon firmware on it (i.e. was used on a Frontier network.)

If you want something new, buy or rent a G3100 from Verizon.  $15/month, $299 purchase.

If you don't have their set-top-boxes and don't care about Verizon support, you can use any router you want.  Lots of good options at your favorite online or big-box store.  You may need to get Verizon to switch your ONT to Ethernet WAN, but that's free and easy.  The harder part could be running an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router location.

No matter what you decide, get rid of that Actiontec.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

WEP is insecure.  It is easily hacked with readily available hacking tools.  Do not use it.  Use WPA2 or better.

The MI424WR was end-of-lifed long ago by Actiontec, and has been out of support from Verizon for years.  It no longer receives any firmware updates, including security patches.  It is an insecure, out-of-date device.  It should be removed from service as soon as possible.

If you have Verizon set-top-boxes and/or like having Verizon supported equipment, you can purchase a used G1100 online for under $40.  Just make sure the sell has a fair return policy in case the unit has non-Verizon firmware on it (i.e. was used on a Frontier network.)

If you want something new, buy or rent a G3100 from Verizon.  $15/month, $299 purchase.

If you don't have their set-top-boxes and don't care about Verizon support, you can use any router you want.  Lots of good options at your favorite online or big-box store.  You may need to get Verizon to switch your ONT to Ethernet WAN, but that's free and easy.  The harder part could be running an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router location.

No matter what you decide, get rid of that Actiontec.

VAer1
Enthusiast - Level 3

If I buy G3100 router on ebay, will it receive firmware updates from Verizon?

Thanks

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes. The 3100 (which is the current unit) will be updated for the foreseeable future. There is a new router in waiting the wings and once that is released, the 1100 will be the next unit to lose support.

VAer1
Enthusiast - Level 3

When will the new one come out? Sometime this year? Maybe I can wait for the new one.

How often do you update router? Will G3100 be supported for another 5 years?

Thanks.

Edit: Are you talking about Verizon 5G Home Internet router? I don't think there is 5G Home internet in DC metro area.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

That would be it. The router will be able to work with both 5G and FiOS services.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The new router will likely come out in a few months according to some press release.

G1100 in 2014, G3100 in 2019, and CR1000A in 2022 (projected), I would say every 3-5 years.

You should expect the CR1000A to be more expensive than G3100 though, to put things in perspective.

CR1000A will be used for both residential Fios and 5G. This signifies the convergence of VZ's Fios and 5G product lines.

VAer1
Enthusiast - Level 3

That is not too bad, G1100 has been supported for 8 years, if G3100 is also supported for 8 years, which ends in 2027. If I buy G3100, I should expect it to be supported for at least 5 years.

Just placed an order on Ebay for a brand new G3100, with red check mark, I guess that is the most current version.

0 Likes
VAer1
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I buy G3100 on ebay, how can I verify that it can get firmware update? As long as I can sign into 192.168.1.1 , then it will get firmware update from Verizon?

Curious question: if buying a router from someone, technically, that person also has router password and he/she can also be able to sign it/manage account if he/she wants, correct?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Before you plug in the router, contact Verizon support and verify it's serial number is for a purchased unit.  If it was a rental unit that someone sold on eBay, you could end up getting charged a rental fee when you connect it.

Once you've confirmed it's a legit unit, perform a factory reset.  That will make sure the passwords are all reset to the values on the label.  Then, after you get it installed and working, change the WiFi password.  Nobody but you will be able to connect to it.  The admin password is only used when you connect to the router from your LAN.  Since the WiFi password will be your secret, nobody can get to the router's GUI unless they know your WiFi password or connect to it's Ethernet.

As for firmware updates, you don't need to do anything.  The Verizon system will keep it updated.