Re: FIOS with Google WiFi - ONT question
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The WAN connection is completely separate from the LAN.

While it's good you're on Ethernet WAN, that change has nothing to do with the ability to see devices on your LAN.  Something must have been changed in the LAN settings of the various devices involved.

Or, the problem was a bit different than presented, as we never did get a detail description of the problem and how the various devices are connected.

Glad it's working for you, though.

pfdg31
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, it's not working again. Ughh

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you give a more detailed description of your network?

• How are the mesh nodes connected to the G1100.
  • When you say devices can't see each other, how do you determine this?
  • How are the devices that can't see each other connected to the LAN?  Are some on the mesh network, some on Ethernet, some on G1100 WiFi?

Remember, when you have a NAT router function, the devices behind the NAT may not be able to see devices outside the NAT.  And devices outside the NAT can't see the devices inside the NAT.  Since the Google Mesh devices apparently can't have their NAT disabled, that is likely creating the visibility issue.  Answers to the above questions will likely confirm this.

pfdg31
Enthusiast - Level 3

I appreciate the help. I'll try to be clear.

The mesh LAN port is connected to the G1100 WAN port via Ethernet.

I have two wired Desktop PCs. One of them I use for data storage, hence the need to "see" across PCs.

I have two wireless laptops. Right now one is on the mesh network and one on the G1100 wifi.

In File Explorer:

- The two wired Desktops can see each other's files and those of the laptop on the G1100.

- The G1100 laptop can see the two Desktops, but not the mesh laptop

- The mesh laptop can't see any of the other 3 machines

This seems to confirm what you've indicated.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pfdg3 wrote:

The mesh LAN port is connected to the G1100 WAN port via Ethernet.

I have two wired Desktop PCs. One of them I use for data storage, hence the need to "see" across PCs.

I suspect you got LAN and WAN swapped in your first sentence.  The G1100 should have it's WAN port connected to the ONT, especially after you switched to Ethernet WAN.  The network you've described won't work at all, thus my assumption that it's just a typo.  The mesh should be connected to a LAN port on the G1100.

Are the wired desktops plugged into the G1100's LAN ports?  That's my assumption, and the rest of your information is consistent with my assumption.

Based on this info and my assumptions, it's clear the NAT on the mesh network is preventing the communications you need.  You have several options:

• Figure out how to run the Google mesh in AP mode.  I don't know these devices, so all I can suggest is you use google to search for resources or find a forum / KB for the devices.
  • If the Google mesh has separate WAN and LAN ports, try connecting it's LAN port to a LAN port on the G1100.  This is called a LAN-to-LAN connection, and if the mesh device supports this, it can be another way to configure a device as an AP when they don't explicitly support it.
  • Run all the devices that need to see each other off the G1100's LAN (Ethernet or WiFi)
  • Purchase a Verizon network extender to provide more WiFi coverage without creating a separate NAT'd network.  Here's the Verizon site to purchase a new one, or you can search for used ones at your favorite online reseller:
    https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-extender/
  • Purchase a different model / brand of mesh network that supports AP mode.  As noted, I use the TP-Link Deco M9+ in this mode behind my G1100.  It's currently on sale at Costco for $160 for a 3-pack.  I believe all of the TP-Link products support AP mode, check the specs before buying.  There are many other brands that support AP mode as well.  I'm just reporting what works for me.

If you find a solution that works for you, please post on this thread so it's documented for future readers.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I agree all other points made by gs0b, I would recommend against buying Fios Network Extender (Gen 2) for its MoCA compatibility issues. You should either consider ECB5240M (Fios Network Adapter) or E3200 (Fios Extender).

pfdg31
Enthusiast - Level 3

I could be wrong, but I think I have things wired as I described. Black cable from ONT to mesh WAN, and white cable from mesh LAN to G1100 WAN. I followed the instructions I found here: https://robotpoweredhome.com/google-nest-wifi-verizon-fios/ 

imageimageimage

0 Likes
pfdg31
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hmmm... were my pictures too large?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. Please wait for the moderator to approve the image.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The pictures are rotated 90 degrees. Every so often mine do that as well. 🤔