FiOS G3100 Ethernet to Linksys gigabit switch drops connections, but direct connection OK
ScuseMe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I’m trying to diagnose a problem where the FiOS G3100 router randomly drops all the Ethernet connections out of my Linksys 16-port gigabit Ethernet switch (SE3016). 

The strange thing is that a direct connection from the G3100 to any of my Ethernet devices works great. However, if I put the Linksys switch in the path, my Ethernet connections randomly drop. My WiFi connections are rock solid, and never disconnect.

I’m on my 3rd Linksys switch and my 2nd G3100, but the results are the same. I’ve even tried changing out the Ethernet cables, but no luck. My ONT is right next to the G3100, so I can easily replace the ONT Ethernet cable, but that too makes no difference. I went so far as to swap out my G3100 with my old G1100, but the Ethernet connection still drops. So I don’t think its a problem with the G1100/G3100, nor the wiring.

I have a gigabit internet connection, along with FiOS TV and digital voice. I want to use the Ethernet connection to stream HD movies from my server (WiFi speeds are too slow). 

At this point, I don’t know what to do/try next. Any ideas from the folks here would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
Re: FiOS G3100 Ethernet to Linksys gigabit switch drops connections, but direct connection OK
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Your network layout is

ONT -> G3100 -> SE3016 -> Your computers

?

#2 Check the lights of the SE3016. They should be

• System LED - Blue
  • Link/Act - Green

#3 Your G3100 has DHCP Enabled?

0 Likes
Re: FiOS G3100 Ethernet to Linksys gigabit switch drops connections, but direct connection OK
ScuseMe
Enthusiast - Level 2

#1 Your network layout is

ONT -> G3100 -> SE3016 -> Your computers

Yes

#2 Check the lights of the SE3016. They should be

• System LED - Blue
  • Link/Act - Green

Yes

#3 Your G3100 has DHCP Enabled?

Yes

* I also tried using 2 Linksys 8-port switches connected together. I get the same results. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Detected your other thread at https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32792049-Networking-G3100-Ethernet-to-Linksys-switch-drops-connect...

I agree with the last post (6/21/2020) in that thread, that an idea is to check the Duplex setting.

0 Likes