Fios G3100 using desktop switches
NetLord
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey all,

any help here will be greatly appreciated. That is, previous set up worked flawlessly using a G1100 and several switches to different components (xbox, PS4, etc) with wired cable from G1100 to switches.

However, had to replace couple days go G1100 (stopped working) buying a Fios G3100 as a replacement.

Thinking new router be better for connectivity Wi-Fi and wired. Here's my problem.

Using an Ethernet cable straight from back of G3100 (LAN) to PC, I get internet, no problem.

However, if I connect a desktop switch into an open LAN and connect switch to PC, no connection.

Tried different ports, different cable, even different desktop switches, etc., same problem.

Looking at the configuration found in the router shows Not Connected cable securely connected.

Another problem is the lack of phone service going on for couple days.

My G1100 was connected to my OOma Telo VOIP working flawlessly. Now if I connect it back into same way, its like the LAN port doesn't exists. Configuration in router not detecting Telo. Telo keeps on searching without a connection on any ports. Even after a factory reset. Same for Fios G3100.

The crux of the matter, unless the Fios G3100 not designed to accept a desktop switch (unlike the G1100),

I believe certain configuration parameters need to be made in the router's setting.

BTW, I've tried rebooting changing cable, the works. Any hints on how to fix problem appreciated.

Any questions, comments feel free to ask. Thanks to any person(s) with a working solution.

Hopefully, I explained my situation well enough for a solution.

0 Likes
25 Replies
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you say no connection, do you mean it does not link at all? That is, the link LED on either the switch or the G3100 does not illuminate?

Or do you mean the computer fails to pull an IP address when connected through a switch?

NetLord
Enthusiast - Level 3
  • What’s happening is the following. If a desktop gigabit switch “plugged” in back of any LAN port, the port on back of G3100 not illuminated. If I insert cable into switch, lights up.

On the computer, if plugged directly into G3100, will pull IP since able to connect to internet (blinking lights visible) on G3100 port (whichever one used). However, if switch plugged into one of the ports on G3100 and computer to switch, appears no IP pulled.

That is, no blinking lights on G3100 port or connecting to internet. My previous G1100 set up worked. 
At first I thought it was the cable, switches but appears G3100 not “seeing” switch and whats behind it. However, G3100 does work wirelessly. Need wired connection for equipment having a wired connection (not wireless). Usually I’m pretty confident finding solutions but this one stumps me. 

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the switch has status LEDs for each port, does an LED illuminate when the cable from the ONT is plugged in? Ditto for the corresponding LED on the back of the 3100?

Does an LED illuminate when the computer is connected to a port?

NetLord
Enthusiast - Level 3

Firstly, LED does “blink” when computer cable inserted into any LAN port of G3100. Hence, internet. However, if a switch inserted into back of any LAN G3100 port, no lights. The switch status light turns on when cable inserted but no blinking. 
As stated, when going into G3100 configuration, doesn’t show connected. My opinion, is a matter of a configuration of router accepting whats going into it.

On the ONT, not sure about question. That is, ONT is plugged in back of G3100 is flickering when a signal passing through. If switch connected to back of G3100 port, no light flickering either from G3100 or ONT. If that makes sense,

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The switch, if it is a basic unmanaged, should act as a passive/benign device.

I have an Intellinet 5-port gigabit switch connected to the back of the E3200 sitting on my desk. All of the devices connected to it work fine. All cabling is 568B. No special programming in the extender or 3100 router outside of having assigned static IP addresses to non-portable units such as the printer (a Canon MF743Cdw).

Everything is "plug & play". 

NetLord
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thats what I expected it should be “plug and play”. However, any switch, cables used (most rated cat 6) still not responding. That is, G3100 not allowing flow of information.

My previous G1100 was simply adding things without any issue. 
Is it possible needing to set Fios G3100 in router configuration ? That is, allowing home network to work. Keep thinking there’s something amiss about situation.

I do have the 3200 extender. Haven’t used it yet but another option to see if gigabit switch works behind it. Still looking getting it to work with G3100. To much of a pain getting into cables and switches in house already installed. Meaning, worked before and should again.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@NetLord wrote:

That is, G3100 not allowing flow of information.

My previous G1100 was simply adding things without any issue. 
Is it possible needing to set Fios G3100 in router configuration ?

What do you mean by router configuration? Did you put your G3100 into bridge mode? Did you connect its WAN port to the switch? Did you bridge its WAN interface into the 4-port hardware switch?

If you did any of this, you need to tell us.

NetLord
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks again for responding hoping to explaining situation at hand properly.

"What do you mean by router configuration?" - What I meant here, "login" into the router (using myfiosgateway)  you have many parameters changing performance of router.

I don't think its in bridge mode. All I did was insert Ethernet cable in back of  G3100 (yellow ports).

Right now, I have my computer Ethernet cable connected to port one (obviously working).

Ethernet cable from the ONT is directly connected to the WAN input of G3100. I also utilize the coax cable for program information for set top box for TV.

Tried putting WAN Ethernet cable into hardware switch and one back to WAN input on G3100.

Connecting Ethernet cable(s) still same situation where G3100 not recognizing whatever it is.

Unknown if IP addresses not assigned or DNS issues or what. I believe this situation is software related "blocking" G3100 ports. Current OS is Win 10 Pro.

If I need to change settings in my PC or router, let me know. Tough having no phones available (VOIP).

Appreciate any help.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Pictures submitted for posting are sent to queue for Moderator approval. Once approved they will appear. 🙂

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you connect the switch in the following fashion?

Leave WAN cable from ONT to G3100 WAN alone. Connect an Ethernet cable from G3100 LAN port to the switch, then Ethernet to computer from the switch.

Also, pictures of your setup would help.

NetLord
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, so far on connections. I believe I tried yesterday without success.

Now, it appears taking an Ethernet cable into G3100 LAN port (#1) into Tenda Gigabit 8-switch and then cable to computer, I see flickering action on switch and internet access. However, if I try other Ethernet cables, (those with switches at the end (also see statement below regarding storm) no connection.

Wondering if all cables went bad. My OOMA VOIP unit still not connecting to internet.

Called tech support at OOMA having me doing all that I've previously done without any success.

He said may be to old (Telo unit). Yet, it appears to be functioning but unable to connect.

Let me point out one situation from a couple days ago. A lightning storm hit our area close to the house.

I found out the internet was out. Went to check the G1100 for analysis. I found the G1100 unable to turn on.

At the same time near the G1100 I found my 5-port switch damaged. That is, burn marks on body and inside including a Ethernet cable scorched at the end. That's why I went out purchasing an updated router with extender (G3100/E3200).  Is it conceivable cabling went bad ? I have 50ft Ethernet cables running upstairs, downstairs and so on (all separate). Could the lightning strike fused, rendered the Ethernet cables bad ? At each end of the cables are switches to various components (PS4/Xbox/etc) and others to upstairs computer. I did check all components out having no damages running without problems. However, no internet access for streaming, updates, etc. Let me know your opinions.image

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Would it be possible to temporarily move the 3100, switch and computer to where the ONT is located and hook everything up using known good short length Ethernet cables? The idea is to have everything in one place and see how things go.

NetLord
Enthusiast - Level 3

Would like to do it but unable due to limited access to space near ONT. At least the from the ONT the WAN cable did not crap out. Damages either was a voltage spike through outlet or through the cable (coax?) or whatever. Did look closely at all ends of cables at ONT appearing clean of any damages, marks, etc.

Same said for the ones at the switch box near G1100. However, possible damages not visible to the naked eye. I didn't see any obvious burn marks, etc.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would not be surprised if the switches and cables all went bad. Please post your findings once testing is complete.

NetLord
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, here's the scoop. Went ahead checking each Ethernet cable in the network. Some not working and others okay. Found two gigabit switches not turning on. The rest of the system came out okay.

Waiting for Monoprice Ethernet cables to arrive. Delivery supposed to have been past Friday.

Keeping me from putting things back once where belonged. In the end, lightning made upgrade my router to latest "Verizon" version and reduced quite a bit of cables not necessary. All streamlined going from equipment to switch. Pretty happy about set up but time consuming and costing quite a few dollars.

I appreciate all of you that have responded. Should have it clearer a lightning may have been a reason.

Thanks again!

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have the Ethernet cables arrived? If so, have you tested the switch connection again?

NetLord
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, Ethernet cables arrived after couple days delay. I did use some of the existing Ethernet I had and new Ethernet cables for longer runs. Obviously, each cable checked for integrity.

Connected my Ooma to my router and PC (with a gigabit switch going into theater room).

Used the E3200 extender upstairs connecting to existing gigabit switches (working) and then on to equipment's. Glad I bought the E3200 facilitating an easier Ethernet connection upstairs. That is, did not have to run several Ethernet cables from router to equipment. So far, all working with good net speed.

At least, equipment is up to date (router, surge protectors, Ethernet cables, etc.).

Thanks for asking.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Great to hear. Do you notice the DHCP delay for devices connected to E3200's LAN ports?

NetLord
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry not replying sooner. Did not notice any obvious delays having both ports on the E3200.

That is, one port to a gigabit switch for game consoles in one room and the same for the other port for a similar setup. Using Cat 6 cables. Having the E3200 upstairs avoided me having to run a line.

So far, all appears to be functioning properly. Been a little since the "lightning" strike nearby but I came out better in the long run. Enabling me to update my current system to current standards. Did a few dollars out of my pocket. Will be awhile before it replaced again.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

E3200 should have a 55 second delay on the DHCP for LAN ports. You could count it next time.