Fios Quantum Gateway Router - weak Wifi signal strength
btimm

WARNNG to anyone who has not switched yet to Fios Quantum Internet and the new Fios Quantum Gateway Router model #G1100. The Wifi signal strength of this router is much weaker than the previous Actiontec router. If you search the web many customers are expiring weak Wifi signal strength with this router. The technician that came to my house to troubleshoot my issues admitted that the Actiontec router has a stronger Wifi signal but cannot provide the speeds of the Fios Quantum Internet service. My house is about 2200 sq ft and on the same floor as the router there are areas where the Wifi signal drops to one bar or drops all together. My neighbor must have Direct TV Internet service because I can see a WiFi call DIRECT and the signal from that router is stronger than the signal from my own WiFi router in my house. Verizon customer service has offered no solution other than renting or purchasing a Fios Network Extender from them. Considering the facts that I had a stronger Wifi signal with my previous router and that Version advertises one of the main features of the Fios Gateway Quantum as “Boost your range with up to 325 ft.* of Wi-Fi coverage. Perfect for larger homes and more devices” I think it is poor customer service that the only option they can offer to resolve my issue and provide an accectible level of service is to rent or puraches additional hardware from them.

0 Likes
1 Solution
jonjones1
Legend

@vjj wrote:

Same problem.  The quantum router has less than half the range.  My Ring doorbells don't get signal and I can only use devices in the center part of our 1st floor.  Verizon - you need to provide a solution to this.

The only solution is to purchase a better higher end router. Make sure it has external antennas and is to the higher wifi standards. It is a known fact (google it) these greenwave fios branded G1100 Quantum Gateway Router is junk on wifi.

verizon does not guarantee wifi. Just up to speeds on a fully wired connection.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
48 Replies
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

As you said, you bought a more expensive router.

You should expect better performance from a more expensive device.

Quantum is at best a mid level router. That's why it is $149 (on sale at times for as low as $99).
Some routers are easily $250+.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauthwrote:

As you said, you bought a more expensive router.

You should expect better performance from a more expensive device.

Quantum is at best a mid level router. That's why it is $149 (on sale at times for as low as $99).
Some routers are easily $250+.

That would be an accurate statement as routers go. The old adage of “you get what you pay for” comes to mind.

my Netgear Nighthawk was over $400+ but worth it. 

The problem is actually twofold in that like cable companies and their free modems versus Verizon routers it is for revenue generation (I understand Charter now does not charge a rental fee) which pays for the router over and over and over. However unlike cable you can use a number of other modems approved and supported by them where Verizon Fios will allow your own router but offer no support for it. 

It is a money grab. It’s the world we live in.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Charter / Spectrum doesn't charge for modems anymore, but they do charge a $5 fee to have Wi-Fi enabled. Also, unless you're in a DOCSIS 3.1 market ordering Gigabit Internet, you'll end up with some lousy and unstable Puma6 modem. So buying your own modem is almost certainly a must with Spectrum, until the Puma6 can be put out to pasture or finally fixed for good.

FiOS at least keeps the simple Ethernet connectivity / plug and play concept going. I do agree - they need to support the basic connectivity whether or not the FiOS router is present, but beyond that they can do what Spectrum does, where they just ensure the connection is "up" and an IP address is being held by the CPE. That is all Spectrum does when they troubleshoot a cable modem that is customer owned.

jat454
Enthusiast - Level 3

You're missing the point. In most cases, including mine, performance was better with the old Actiontec router. "Upgrading" to the Quamtum router gives worse wifi range and coverage.

I recently upgraded to 75/75 speed and recieved the new Quantum router. Located in the same spot as the old router, no other changes in the house and with the same devices, the performace is worse. I've tried all of the suggestions to fix it, but none of them helped. Whether it's 2.5GHz or 5GHz, the performance is not acceptable. Bottom line, the range on the Quantum router is worse than the older technology.

0 Likes
jat454
Enthusiast - Level 3

In fact I’m sitting here looking at this forum on my phone. I have to shut the WiFi off to get the pages to load. One bar on LTE loads the pages no problem. Turn WiFi on and it slows to a crawl, sometimes not even loading. Never had an issue with the old router.

0 Likes
btimm

I originaly posted this message and never accepted a solution. Somehow someone other than me accepted a solution. Since a solution has not been provided for this issue I requested that the thread be reopened.

0 Likes
Chlmail

Solved?  How can this be marked solved?  One person found that the antenna was bent on his iPhone -- it doesn't seem this was this issue or solution for the other posts...

I, too, ungraded to the VZ gigabit router deal with the promise it would have better range and speed.  Hard to tell if it's faster, because you can't ever connect to the darn thing.  Literally can't connect any device unless right near the router, even on the same floor, much less upstairs, downstairs,  on the deck, or anywhere -- you get the idea.  Why am I paying more for this?  Why is it impossible to get a VZ person on the phone?  And the solution is to by multiple additional devices to boost the signal.  I am so disappointed in this whole Verizon experience. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

Try posting to the above link. They seem to be pretty good for Verizon help issues.

the reason why it's marked as solved is because the original poster took the answer as solving their issues.

now if you feel that answer does not meet your situation then start your own help thread.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have the issue both on 2.4 and 5 GHz channels?

Have you tried installing an android app called  wifi analyzer?

It can help you determine if there is interference as well as tell you what level the wifi is being received at.

If you have to be that close, I suspect that either you have itnerference or maybe your router is defective.

0 Likes
davidastronomy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem.  The Quantum Gateway router has weak WiFi.  I had to buy a WiFi extender and even with that, there is a portion of my house where the WiFi doesn't work.  My house is not that large either.

0 Likes
jimmyolsen

Let's not beat around the bush.  The Verizon Fios Quantum Gateway router is an inferior product for the many reasons already mentioned.  I've been a Fios customer for 11 years and this router is my first real problem with FIOS.  Its poor quality led me to purchase the Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I router which has much more range and better signal quality.

0 Likes
JayS3

After "upgrading" to Quatum gateway router, I started to see random wifi signal drops.  It happened that I just switched to a new phone which supported wifi+, meaning that the OS will choose the stronger one between wifi and the cell signal. I saw it switching to  cell/t-mobile very often inside my house, when I was only about 20 feet away from the router.   I thought it was phone's problem, so I turned off wifi+. Then I realized that every now and then, the wifi signal dropped to one bar.  I am living in a house on 5 acre land, so no other wifi noises.  Then I  paid attention to my  laptops, mife's phone, etc. all have this random weakening of wifi signals.   really weired. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The Quantum router is junk in my opinion. However the WiFi issue can be fixed by the recent firmware update sent out on 2/20/2018 which many now say fixed their WiFi issues.

you could also buy a triband high end router and either use it as an access point with the Verizon router (so as not lose support if you ever need it. Verizon will not support any routers other than their own) then turn off the lesser WiFi on the Quantum off on 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands as well as the guest network. Triband with beamforming technology and mimo technology is far superior to the Quantum Gateway Router 

So there are a few points to think about.

0 Likes
cvb1973

This router has exceptionally bad wifi.  I switched from Xfinity to Fios, and while the internet connectivity is smoother for hard wired stuff, the wifi is laughable in comparisson?  I live in the upstairs section of my 2 family, and it's 500sq. ft.  I was able to improve performance barely by switching channels and get more bars, but the wifi is completely unreliable.

Ironically, he xfinity wifi had NO ISSUES.   So it's not a channel thing.  A hundred support devices when you can barely support the 20 or so I have because of abysmmal WIFI strength?

I think they need to change/upgrade routers sooner or later at no charge to the customer.   The Wifi performance on this is just unacceptable.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The FiOS Quantum Gateway Router is junk in my opinion. I use a Netgear Nighthawk R8500 which has beam forming and external antenna versus internal antenna in the Quantum. Poor range and poor design. Now I read direct ethernet connections are fine.

you can improve WiFi via buying extenders and I think you said you have tv with Fios? So you will either need a MOCA extender which you can purchase from Verizon or from best buy etc. the Verizon ones are $99 so shop around. 

You still I’ll need to have coaxial or ethernet up stairs to use the adapter.

0 Likes
jat454
Enthusiast - Level 3

So while using my laptop with the WiFi dropping in and out I click chat on the Verizon site just for the heck of it. After a couple of resets the tech was actually able to improve the signal. In the same spot it went from 3 bars to full strength. He said he was able to increase the signal strength. I was skeptical but after a week it is still working well. For 5G I have to be very close to the router, but 2.4G works well all over the house just like the old router. So give the chat a shot. It may help.

deilenberger1
Enthusiast - Level 2

As others have noted - the range of the G1100 is marginal at best. I'm sure Verizon got a good deal on them, it's too bad they didn't consider customer satisfaction into the equation. They sold me on faster connectivity - which I get if direct connected to the router - but they lost me on range. As others experienced, I often have to turn WiFi off in order for pages to load, meaning I'm using 4G which I pay for when I should be able to use WiFi.

I'm looking into doing a mesh setup. I have an extender - which I can connect to and get a good signal - but it suffers when it connects to the G1100. It worked fine with the old Actiontec that I had before, it stutters and stalls with the G1100 as it's source (only 30 feet away.)

I've gone into the router control panel - and it claims I'm using the latest firmware (1.03.02.02).. no update available.

It's just a crappy router.

0 Likes
bbjunky
Enthusiast - Level 2

After reading postings about the Quantum Gateway Router, I'm no longer thinking about switching from Actiontec M1425WR. My reason for wanting to switch is poor WiFi signal strength in the 2nd level far end, of our not so big house. Many posters are complaining about the same problem in the Quantum Router so I doubt a switch would help. This is a recent problem for us, starting about May-June 2018. Daughter was complaining of getting only 1-2 bars on her Google phone., The signal would drop completely and go to cell data. She thought it was due to a software update on the phone. It may partly be that, but my Samsung tablet also started experiencing signal drops, needing to reconnect to WiFi repeatedly, and trouble connecting - no cell service on device. We did a firmware update on the Actiontec, but no change. I'm convinced a range extender is the way to go for either router, or switch to another provider.

0 Likes
deilenberger1
Enthusiast - Level 2

A Verizon tech I contacted in a support chat actually upped the output power on mine. I now get a decent signal over a lot more of my house. Not perfect - but better. I asked why the power was backed off and he said to avoid conflicts between nearby routers (I'm guessing all on the same channel.)

Worth a try - maybe you'll get a good one like I did. He logged into my router and made the switch while I watched the output. Went up about 10db on 2 and 5GHz bands.

0 Likes
Byraer1
Enthusiast - Level 1

You are correct the Quantum Router wireless signals failed to meet my bedroom in the back of my house which previously had signal with the Actiontec. There is no antenna on the Quantum or a possibilty for external antenna which may be the problem. If you download a signal wireless strength app on your ios or android and compare signals for the quantum and actiontec the proof is evident. Quantum router does not seem to be so quantum and they charge a fee to have it if you did not buy it outright. I may switch back to my already bought actiontec if verizon does not resolve issue.

0 Likes
Bassman31
Enthusiast - Level 2

New FIOS customer here.  Used to have ASUS RT-AC68u on Comcast (awesome WiFi), now have G1100 on FIOS.

WiFi is not as good (pretty bad outside), but so far acceptable inside.  I spent a lot of time locking down security on the router, and recall seeing power settings somewhere on the G1100 for WiFi.  Mine were already at 100%.

Will try to get by with G1100 WiFi, but keeping my ASUS router nearby just in case.

0 Likes