G3100 Issues Galore! Wont Load Images Or Video Since "upgrade"
ComputerUser

So we recently "upgraded" our service and had a tech come and install new lines and a new G3100 and matching extender.

Prior to this upgrade we had 100/100 service using whatever slim maroon and black router they gave us for that tier of service and had zero issues with signal dropout or anything else. Always solid connections with everything, livestreams loaded fine, videos loaded fine, images loaded fine.

Now that we have the G3100 setup and 400/400 or whatever it is, any pages that have images take minutes to load and sometimes wont load at all. Almost any page that has video wont load properly and Im constantly hitting refresh over and over til it catches and works, if it ever does.

Live streams on youtube will not work at all. 

Live streams on twitch are delayed and constantly switching to lower quality. 

Oddly, streams on other sites that host either streaming movies or even adult content will load without issue.

The xbox store wont load properly, ebay wont load properly, youtube wont load properly and like I said almost anything with images or video wont load properly, even twitter videos that are like 4 seconds long wont load. 

I have looked through forums to no end trying to find a magic bullet and Ive tried everything I can within my workable knowledge and suggestions from those forums to no avail. 

The only thing that seemed to help a little was turning off SON which seems to have helped with the issue of the wifi dropping out constantly, still some issues but not like before where I was having it drop multiple times an hour. 

I dont know what to do to fix this. This was never an issue before on the four computers in our home so I know its not that, so its obviously the router. 

Can anyone offer some suggestions or solutions please? 

EDIT - Also let me be clear, when I reboot the router it works for about a minute and then instantly stops working again. 

0 Likes
10 Replies
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

This would suggest a loose connector somewhere in your setup. Could you trace all the cables and make sure nothing is damaged?

ComputerUser
There are no loose connection or bad wires. All wires have been checked and rechecked and switched out to make sure there werent any issues with physical connections.
0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you go to your router's Advanced logs and WAN DHCP logs to see any abnormalities?

ComputerUser

I dont know how to do that and I wouldnt know what an abnormality would look like. 

0 Likes
DukDukGone

I had the same issue and I think I've resolved it.

In my case Verizon had given me a D-Link DGS1005G switch, because I needed to have 2 hardwired computers in the same room.  One of them was a laptop with its own wireless capabilities, so I disconnected it from the switch and VOILA! everything with those two computers started working perfectly.  In my case the switch was apparently confusing traffic between the two computers.

That was 24 hours ago, so your mileage may vary.

Good luck.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

That switch is a layer 2 device only. It is only capable of creating a layer 2 loop. Do you have a ring-like pathway in your network?

Now the OP's setup also sounds like a layer 2 loop.

DukDukGone

No I don’t have a layer 2 loop and one of the two original computers is still attached to the switch and is working fine. I only have an issue with two computers hanging off the switch. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is this occurring over both WiFi and wired connections?

Can you test a device with only a wired connection to the router's LAN port?  That will tell you and us if it's an issue with WiFi or something else.

DukDukGone

I had 2 computers connected to the switch I mentioned before and have since disconnected them both from it.

The laptop I switched to wireless was cured as soon as I went wireless.

The other computer was then left as the lone device attached to the switch.  It *had* gotten better when I disconnected the laptop, and I initially thought my website loading issues were gone.  But the more I used it, I realized it was still not loading websites completely quite often.  So, I disconnected the switch and am now attached directly to the G3100, working perfectly.

That means either the switch or the cable I had from the switch to the computer were bad.  I doubt it was the cable because my laptop had also suffered the issues and it had its own cable.  So there's likely something wrong with the switch, but for now I'm done messing with it since everything is working.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I still suspect the problem is a layer 2 or a layer 3 loop. Could you install Wireshark on your computer to capture the packets on your network interface? Thanks.