Gigabit Internet Feedback
Varg
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am seeking input from users with experience with with the new Gigabit Internet connection - speed, quality of service. I get varying speeds with my 100Mb connection. So how reliable is this claim? My current 2 yr contract is less than 30 days old and I am asked to pay $30.00 extra for the bragging rights.

0 Likes
1 Solution
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're getting varying speeds with 100Mbps, moving to 1Gbps won't solve the problem. Best to troubleshoot your current 100Mbps service first, before planning to move to Gigabit. A faster connection could just make the problem worse, if your issue is due to a bad light over the Fiber, for example. Or if the problem is due to Wi-Fi, then nothing will change, and you're just wasting money unless you plan to upgrade the Wi-Fi equipmnt on both ends.

People are also seeing mixed results with the Gigabit product. For some, 940Mbps up and down is what you'll see, and is actually what Gigabit service provides, due to Ethernet overhead. Others are seeing mixed results, presumably because they are on busier PONs (Keep in mind, each FiOS connection is a part of a PON, that is a Passive Optical Network. The PON connects to a port at the Central Office on an OLT - Optical Line Termination). Verizon currently uses GPON tech (Gigabit Passive Optical Network), which is limited to 2.4Gbps down, 1.2Gbps up. A PON can have anywhere from 1 home to 64 homes sharing the bandwidth. That assumes Verizon has more than a 1Gbps Ethernet port on the OLT Side of things to back up the bandwidth - which they probably do if they've sold 1Gbps to you. So with that said, people have reported issues on the upload side of things with being a bit varied, which comes as no surprise. Verizon has provisioned a speed that is grossly oversubscribing the PON by design, on the assumption (and based on statistics) that people will hit the download harder than the upload. After all, you're not paying for the guaranteed Gigabit, but the connection should provide acceptable enough performance that for $200 or less, it's better than what Cable will provide. Unless you're in a Comcast/XFinity area where you're within the magic 500ft range of where Comcast will install "Gigabit Pro", which is an actual Metro Ethernet product.

In the future, if Verizon moves to GEPON, which can do Symmetrical 10Gbps, or NG-PON2, which can do 10Gbps down, 2.5Gbps up, or a newer tech, you'll find 1Gbps far more sustainable on FiOS.

View solution in original post

54 Replies
alissa914

For me, it seems like gigabit internet is essentially just 8 shotgun connections at 100Mbps.  I get no congestion and I get decent connection speeds for me.  I don't get 840Mbps up all the time (sometimes about 400Mbps+) but with everything hardwired in, I don't complain since nothing seems slowed down.  

With my work VPN, I was getting 4Mbps to it with my 100Mbps connection but now it seems my max speed is 40Mbps.... and that's fine because work isn't too demanding on my network.  But while I'm using it for work, I can stream TV with Hulu TV at HD rates (I think about 20Mbps) and Skype, etc. is unaffected by any of that.  Dropbox works just fine at all levels.

So if you're expecting constant 840Mbps speed, you won't get it probably but if you hardwire as much as you can, you'll get consistent 100Mbps speed up and down on most devices almost all the time and you won't run into concerns about saturation of bandwidth.

0 Likes
laurencetom

It's been a terrible experience so far. Waited forever to get a tech out to install. After a day I was getting slower speeds than when I had 75/75. I'm standing several feet away from the router and I'm not getting past 90mbps for my gigabit experience. I had tried rebooting and it didn't get any better. Also tried to contact Verizon and had to navigate through all the menus to end up with no help or solution.  

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus
Hi laurencetom,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Message Inbox for a message from Verizon_Support. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents, who will be assisting you privately.
0 Likes
expab

I don't see a difference at all.  A waste of money in my opinion.  Don't buy in all the hype.  

0 Likes
Whatsthe411

Please note that only a physical/ Cat5 connection will give you full access to 1 gig service. FIOS CANNOT guarantee 1 gig service on wireless because of the rules of physics. Need more information? GOgle the subject it because Verizon will never include this in their advertisement of the service. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Whatsthe411wrote:

Please note that only a physical/ Cat5 connection will give you full access to 1 gig service. FIOS CANNOT guarantee 1 gig service on wireless because of the rules of physics. Need more information? GOgle the subject it because Verizon will never include this in their advertisement of the service. 

No one will get a full gig on any cat5,5e,6, 6e or the unproven new 7 (which is hype)

1024/1024 is not obtainable on Fios under any type of connection.

in theory those speeds are possible. With so many variables in the mix it’s a no go.

0 Likes
AnnoyedAF

I would say it's up to you but technically speaking if you do any kind of work, research, you stream or game gigabit connection is a necessity unless they want everyone to be **bleep** off constantly. My issue with them is you pay all this money every month and they make it seem like because the rates are faster than they were its something exclusive when in reality it's taking more power to actually do the basic stuff we used to do years ago. Then you can't even really trust the service because in order for it to be worth it you have to get the triple play bundle, they don't offer elderly or disabled people pricing and if they do it's on some ridiculous 5mb/s speed you can literally do nothing with. 

Then they send people to install the product that you can't trust to install it correctly and top that all off their infastructure is not secure. 

I have been wondering why my speeds have been slow as crap and from the jump I have only been getting 700 mbs yet recently installing xbox games my installs were coming in ranging from 5mbs to 100mbs (they occassionally jumped to 400 for like two seconds then back down.)

I thought maybe my neighbors were hacking my network so I hid the name and changed the network info from original info and changed the passwords. Then I go today to check my accounts and out of no where I now have a guest network with password disabled that I didn't even set up. So verizon employees must actually be messing with my account because the passwords I use are very unique and I don't use generators. There were studies done that say that 80% of employees will share a password or sensitive company information without getting paid to do so...so that's always a possibility in my mind. It's also one that makes having any service annoying as hell.  Especially when I've had massive amounts of files mysteriously deleted from my computer recently. 

If you ask me it's getting to the point where it's not worth the money. Yet everything we do we end up needing internet. LIfe is livable without cable but the internet is a necessity. yet they keep this up no one will want to use it.

They already sell all your search history and cap your data but say they don't so what's next? Ah creating public access to private networks without permission...And we paid for this? I think NOT!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I already answered you on the other thread.

again this is a customer helping customer forum.

you would be wasting a rant here. But if it makes you feel better 😀

0 Likes
FlameOut

How much difference does the router make in getting faster speeds? When I plugged my laptop right i to the ONT, the speed test results were consistently in the 600/400 range (636/493). When I test wired from my Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 router, I'm lucky to get 75/75. When I do that speedtest from Verizon page, checking speed at router, I get 925/932, but not even sure what that means. At this point, Id be happy with something in the 400-500 range at my device (wireless speeds are actually faster for me than wired)

Are there any settings I should change on the router? I needed to get a 2nd router/accesspoint anyhow, so what might be my best bet at faster speeds?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Testing from the proprietary Fios network server is all Fios accepts. So that is the speed you have for service. The Ookla speedtest and others are real world tests with downed hops, failed connections and slow downs with real internet sites.

however the other factors that could be showing as slow is because your computers, laptops or tablets etc. are not top of the line with super fast processors and WiFi antennas (again WiFi speeds are no valid indication of speed from the router to the Fios servers) 

you could make due with speeds far lower since cable internet tops off at 300/10 on most plans and many WiFi devices top that on Fios.  So you really don’t need most of what you have.

0 Likes
Zenmaster1

Just got the 1gigabit internet service  installed after numerous calls.  For the past 2 days, speed tests have only (down/up) speeds of 8/2 MBits (yes mega!!) where 1024/1024 mbits are to be expected ( or just a little bit less in the 900 MBits neighborhood. But not LESS THAN 10mbits down and upload speed!!  Obviously something severely wrong — just could not contact Verizon due to weekend!! So be careful to select this supposedly fast internet service!!! I am not very happy right now!!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Your internet setup must have been tested prior to the installer leaving.

you are more than likely not provisioned correctly yet. It takes about 2 days to stabilize.

you should unplug your router and wait a few minutes then plug it back in.

after it’s back up and stable do the 940/880 (verizons up to speeds) speedtest from here https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/instantinternet.aspx

and no wifi testing. A computer connected via ethernet to the router only. As per my screenshot.

image3-4-2018

0 Likes
FlameOut

So far it's been a joke for me. My previous plan was 150/150 and I could get constant speeds of 160/180 and higher. I switched to the gigabit plan yesterday and my speeds are about the same and in some tests actually dropped! Actually just did another speed test and got 66.1/66.2.  I probably should have gone for the $39.99 100/100 plan and got the same speeds and saved $40 a month Buyer beware!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Why didn’t you have your connection tested by the installer prior to his/her leaving?

you may need to wait a few days for the central office to provision you for the proper speeds 940/880 

call 1-800-VERIZON speak to customer service in the tech department and have their engineers look into it.

oh you test only via ethernet no WiFi testing.

0 Likes
Airb330

^^exactly what the last poster said. “You get what you pay for.” We’re saving $50 a month over Xfinity but man the TV guide sucks and the gigabit speeds are a joke. My hardwired PC only generally hits 150 down but the full 880 up. The tech said he never sees advertised speeds in philly. This was the second tech at my house too. I can live with 150 down which means my Wi-Fi ranges from 80-150. The funny thing though is with Comcast, if you paid for 25, you were provisioned for 30 and got 30. If you paid for 75 you were provisioned for 80 and that’s what you got. 

What gets me is verizons site shows me getting 200 down, speedtest.net and dsl reports show around 120 generally but fast.com often only shows 2-3mbps! Again, that’s the hardwired PC. Just all over the place and I know Wi-Fi will always be slower than my Ethernet connection.

Im ok with the speeds since were on a great promo. However if I was paying for the 50/50 tier and was only getting one third of that I’d be livid. We’ll be back to Comcast as soon as the two years are up. *X1 truly is better.*

0 Likes
Silence_D0g00d
Enthusiast - Level 1

The Gigabit service is a fraud!  I've been struggling with this for 5 weeks now.  I've tried EVERYTHING and never got more than 300 mb download on Ethernet.  Verizon support claims that my router gets 950 mb so the problem is my desktop.  HP diagnosed my 1 gigabit capable PC, had me restore Windows 10 and refresh drivers - lots of work, no improvement.  Ran new Cat5e cable, replaced network card, got new router from Verizon - nothing!  Finally had a tech come to my house.  His laptop ethernet connection got only 336 mb.  He said he NEVER saw anyone get close to gigabit performance.  I understand the "up to" claim, but one-third is pretty poor.  WiFi is poor, too.  I was much better off with Comcast Xfinity - the TV platform and phone service is FAR superior to Verizon.  I wonder what the mythical device is that can achieve gigabit performance.  I only wish I had read this forum before my 2 year commitment.  I've spent many hours and a good bit of money chasing the impossible speed.  Fios IS cheaper than Xfinity, but you truely get what you pay for.

0 Likes
chriseng

I upgraded last night from 50/50 to gigabit. Now I get about 50/800, connected directly to the ONT.

Verizon claims the slow download speed is because "the order hasn't processed yet".  I guess the upload increasing to 800 was coincidental?

Verizon Support seems completely clueless.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@chriseng wrote:

I upgraded last night from 50/50 to gigabit. Now I get about 50/800, connected directly to the ONT.

Verizon claims the slow download speed is because "the order hasn't processed yet".  I guess the upload increasing to 800 was coincidental?

Verizon Support seems completely clueless.

Actually they gave you a proper answer. It is a simple provision problem. 

Many times there are central office issues getting your services balanced for the lack of a better word.

So they were not clueless. 

What you need to do is wait 24 hours or so then call 1-800-VERIZON and have them test the connection from their servers to your home router.

wifi will not be accepted as any speed result. You need to be connected via ethernet to a home computer with a nic card able to obtain the higher speeds.

0 Likes
TonySp

Not even vaguely. I get 60 mB/s at the very best 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@TonySp wrote:

Not even vaguely. I get 60 mB/s at the very best 

On a gigabyte Fios connection? that is not going to happen.

first off I don’t know what the installers do testing wise in Pennsylvania but in NY they make sure the speed is there before they leave your residence.

many times if the speeds are not at minimum they notify their office and your provision speed is then fixed.

the only speed test is from Verizon’s site here. https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/instantinternet.aspx

Test it and see. 60 megabytes is no where near 1024/1024 or Verizon’s 940/880 up to listed speeds.

0 Likes