IPv6 static routing not working on CR1000A
wesgeorge
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a CR1000A, currently running 3.1.0.22. I upgraded from a G1100 (which also had IPv6 enabled) a few months ago, and have found some bugs with the new device.

On the G1100, I was able to set up a static route that sends a second /64 in the /56 we are allocated to another device on my network so that I had a second subnet. i.e. the main prefix would be :1200::/56, the router would assign itself :1200::/64 for the LAN, :12ff::/64 for the WAN, and I manually allocated :1201::/64 for the other subnet. Apply a static route for :1201::/64 with a next hop of :1200::2 (the address I gave the other device that hosts that subnet), and a companion default route on that device, and I had IPv6 to the outside from the :1201 subnet.

On the CR1000A, I tried to do the same thing, and found 2 bugs: 

1) The static route is not persistent across reboots. Apply the route, and you can ping between subnets. Reboot, and you can't, at least until you remove it and re-apply it in the UI.

2) the router won't actually route traffic externally from the second subnet. i.e. even when I can ping from :1201::2 to :1200::1 (the router is routing traffic between them locally) I cannot ping anything external from 1201::2 or vice versa. 

Note that none of this would be an issue if the router either supported DHCP-PD requests from downstream devices so that I could just request a /64 out of the /56, or it actually used a separate subnet for the built-in guestnet, since the whole reason I have a second subnet is for separation of guest traffic.

This is being cross-posted on DSLreports since I'm not sure where the most appropriate people in VZ IPv6-land hang out. 

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: IPv6 static routing not working on CR1000A
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Static routing never worked since G1100 after a reboot, for both IPv4 and IPv6. You need to wait for a future firmware update.

The Guest network is also assigned the same prefix as the main network?

wesgeorge
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Cang_Household wrote:

Static routing never worked since G1100 after a reboot, for both IPv4 and IPv6. You need to wait for a future firmware update.

IPv4 static routing works just fine. I'm using it daily, in basically the same setup as what I described above for IPv6, and the box has had an uptime of 25 days, so it's been rebooted recently. And yes, I figured this is a bug that requires a firmware update, hence (hopefully) making sure verizon is aware. 

The Guest network is also assigned the same prefix as the main network?

yes, if you enable the guest network, the only difference is that it uses a different SSID and I think it's set up to use client isolation, possibly some firewalling. I didn't test the security setup extensively once I realized it's also not possible to bind any wired ports to it, so it's of extremely limited utility, especially if you're using a non-VZ wireless solution (I have my own UBNT APs and have VZ's disabled)

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What do you mean to bind wired ports onto the Guest network? You mean you want a L2 connection b/w Guest network and Ethernet ports?

That's doable. The Guest network is on VLAN 10, and all Ethernet ports and Coax are tagged for VLAN 10. You just need an AP that supports VLAN and put the Guest SSID into VLAN 10. You need to investigate a bit before concluding "it's of extremely limited utility."

Also I am not sure Ubiquiti APs are better than CR1000A. The number of radio chips in CR1000A is twice of that of any Ubiquiti APs. The number of streams is probably twice to four times of Ubiquiti APs.

wesgeorge
Enthusiast - Level 2

@wesgeorge wrote:

Note that none of this would be an issue if the router either supported DHCP-PD requests from downstream devices so that I could just request a /64 out of the /56, or it actually used a separate subnet for the built-in guestnet, since the whole reason I have a second subnet is for separation of guest traffic.

Small update to the above.  Cang (other poster) is correct that the guestnet does use a separate VLAN and subnet for IPv4. However, it does not assign IPv6 addresses at all, so that's not a viable workaround either. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are not seeing RAs on VLAN 10 or 30? If that's the case, then a feature request needs to be opened for this.