Intermittent Connection
kotyaer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have called Verizon several times about this already, with no acceptable resolution.  

My internet will rarely go for more than 8 hours without a disconnect, and at times will go less than a minute, for 20-30 minutes at a time.  

The downtime is not clustered around any specific time of day, so hooking up to my NID doesn't make much sense since i can't sit there and wait for it to go down.  

I've tried three modems now, Two Westell 7500s, and one Zoom X6.

Regardless of modem, I still have issues.

My current statistics are thus, after having a length of downtime:

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver RevisionA2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code4D54
Line ModeADSL_2plus
Data PathFAST

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)3358464
Margin (dB)10.96.2
Line Attenuation (dB)33.515.1
Transmit Power (dBm)0.012.8

I've checked all of the wiring for corrosion, and only found some copper corrosion at the junction box where the line gets split up for all the phone jacks in the house.  I disconnected, cut and re-stripped the wire, exposing fresh copper, and put it back together.  Momentarily, my margin was at 16/12, but it has since plummetted.  

While typing this post, my margin stats ahve shifted, to 9.6/12.0, then 11.8/19.6, then 15.3, 19.6, and down to 9.1,7.6, then back up to 18.4, 7.9.  So there's noise in the system somewhere.  I have been told that a tech would call me to let me know when they're out here.  That was about a month ago.  

I've been through the phone system countless numbers of times, and just get lead in a circle.

At this point, the only thing keeping me as a customer is the fact that there is no competition here.  It's Verizon or nothing, and if I switch to a different DSL provider, it's still Verizon's copper.  I haven't talked to a single verizon employee who is local to the area and has a clue what is going on.  Most of the support has come from people like Smith, and the DSL reports forum, and whatever googling I can do while my connection is up.

Again, sometimes it's great, i've seen it go for two or three days without interruption.  Then other times I'm lucky to have it go more than 10 minutes without losing connection and not regaining for another 5 afterwards.

I checked the logs and all I got was this, spammed:  upnp_http_handlerTask: Could not bind to server socket

I also can't seem to be able to do google searches.

Statistics at the end of this post : 

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)3358228
Margin (dB)12.416.3
Line Attenuation (dB)34.015.3
Transmit Power (dBm)0.012.8
0 Likes
Re: Intermittent Connection
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hi kotyear

Sorry you are having difficulty, an agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information or help you resolve your issue.

0 Likes
kotyaer
Enthusiast - Level 2

The only comfort I have in your response is that it was typed by a human and not automatically generated.  

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26432650-connectivity-I-honestly-don-t-know-anymore.

Proof that the community cares more than the company.

Get me a tech, please.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Man, I wish I would have seen more of those stats earlier over at DSLReports! They say a bit more as to what is going on. They are bad  for the distance 😕 . Considering the statistics from both the Westell and the Zoom modem, the margins should not only be in the 20s, with the upstream being around the 16dB range, the speed should be at 3358/863 solid and not shifting around a single bit. Basically if that line were to be cleaned up and repaired enough, I'd see it as being push-able to 10Mbps.

Since you're seeing issues with the upstream, it would also suggest a good amount of static being present on the line if you had voice service on the line at one point. Since it sounds like you have done everything, including NID tests (some statistics from the NID would be appreciated if you haven't already provided them), you would certainly need a Verizon tech rolled out to see what is going on out at the poles.

0 Likes