Re: Losing Internet Connection on DSL
masho951
Enthusiast - Level 3

@TheRoscoe Your noise margin of 6.3 is suggesting an outside problem especially with a relativly low attenuation of 39.5. 

@RKasp Your noise margin of 7.4 downstearm and 6.0 upstream  is low but combined with your 63.5 attenuation this would indicate that your line is pretty far from the central office. Downgrading your speed to the 768k/128k speed might ffix your intermittent problems, but should probably be verified by and outside technician. 

0 Likes
TheRoscoe

Okay May 22nd verizon didnt send a technician to my house when I asked for one but they sent me a replacement router; now it was working fine for about 2 hours then it started lagging me out of games repeatedly while i was playing my xbox. I should just cancel my service if I cant get any qualifying  soluions for my router issues.

0 Likes
masho95
Enthusiast - Level 3

@TheRoscoe: A lot of XBox games require or at least suggest using post forwarding on the modem/router to insure a good connection. You might want to do a google search for "xbox port forwarding" to learn more on how to set it up for your modem.

From your previous post you still seem to have some line issues and most likely are only going to be corrected by a service tech visit. I'd call back and make them send someone out to fix the issue when it's convienient for you (They can send someone out on a Saturday). 

0 Likes
RKasp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you very much for your reply and advice. Judging by the attenuation, I have figured as much - that I am very far from the central office.

By the way, sometimes I get the Internet to work by plugging out the phone (though it's connected through a filter), sometimes - by pressing the Talk button and staying online, listening to the dial tone for some time. I don't know why, but it often works.

Today, however, the modem kept dropping the line in spite of all my efforts, and as I was fed up with this and live on the ground floor, I just went and changed the cable which leads into my apartment from the phone lines distrubition box in the basement (not sure if this is a correct term, I am Russian, so I call it more according to our standard). I was suspicious about it for a long time, also I did not like the fact that it made some loops and was hung over a high-voltage cable leading to the clothes dryer.

By the way, I noticed that there was some box labeled Verizon there, and it contained some lines and test jacks, so I suppose this is the famous Network Interface Device. I wanted to check the line by plugging the phone directly into the jack, but the problem is that MY LINE is not connected through it, while some other apartments' lines obviously are (I see wires in corresponding sockets). The interesting fact is that THERE IS a jack labeled "apt.1", but it's not connected to my line at all. I tracked the wires from my line and am 100% sure that they never go anywnere near this NID. (This is supported by the fact that plugging the phone into this jack gives just dead air - no signal at all). Could anyone comment on this? Why this difference? Maybe the Verizon representative who installed my Internet did something wrong?

By the way, my line seems to be a phenomenon. After the wire replacement (I also changed the position of the wall socket) the Internet seems to work fine and does not disconnect. Yet, I've run the Transceiver Stats test from http://192.168.1.1 out of pure interest and discovered that my noise margin was 6.3 at the beginning, after some further tests it gradually dropped to 4.6  for some mysterious reason - but I am still working and it does not drop the line, although from the Noise Margin standards I understand that the margin lower than 6.0 is terrible and I should lose connection every moment (or simply not be able to connect). Yet, it shows 4.6 and it's working fine! Any ideas?

P.S. This is the Down Stream margin, the Up Stream is constantly 6.0 and never changes.

0 Likes
RKasp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just a little update: My internet noise margin has beaten its own record! Now it says 2.8!!!! And I am still online. This is becoming positively unusual. Soon it will reach a negative value at this pace... what will happen then? 🙂

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RKasp wrote:

Just a little update: My internet noise margin has beaten its own record! Now it says 2.8!!!! And I am still online. This is becoming positively unusual. Soon it will reach a negative value at this pace... what will happen then? 🙂

Disconnect, or you'll see a ton of packet loss as the margin bobs between postive and negative ranges. I've seen it happen but I have seen plenty of lines hold just fine with 4dB margin 😛

In some cases I've found that while a NID is present, the actual connection for the home could be set up at another NID outside or it could be hooked into an older style of NID that uses a carbon-based protector or simply bolts and screws for the connection to the drop. It's worthwhile if you know where your apartment's telephone cabling meets up and runs to, to try to trace it as much as possible to find your actual NID. You might be able to locate the problem at that point.

0 Likes
RKasp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. I have reset my modem on the day I wrote my previous message. After that the margin showed 11.5 - but later it dropped to ~7.3 . I actually do not know what it depends on, it seems to live its own life, now it shows 4.3, though the speed is fine and I have never experienced a single disconnect after I replaced the cable leading to my apartment. Do you (or maybe anyone else here) know why this can happen, why this parameter changes so significantly over the course of time? And why does it change at all? I do not hear any more noise or static in my phone now than, for example, an hour earlier. So what can be the reason? Whatever it is, however, it cannot be in my apartment. I think it's the line.

As for the NID, I don't know where my line leads to. As I wrote, it's not connected to the Verizon device in the basement, so I have no idea where it is plugged into an NID, and cannot check this connection.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The drop in margin is the result of a function in ADSL during when the modem synchronizes, and also dependant on the pieces of equipment on either end besides the copper. When ADSL trains there are frequencies the modem and DSLAM agree on to use to deliver the data to you. During synchronization these frequencies may be clean. Over time, they may degrade and have less of an ability to hold a speed but may still be able to carry the full line capacity. Normally ADSL does not have the ability to change what frequencies are used and how much data each frequency can carry without resynchronization unless Bit Swapping is eanbled. ADSL2+ Introduces some very underutilized features that allow for this to happen by design, in addition to dynamic speed changes without a drop should the margin get too low. The equipment on either end also affects the margin, and gear that functions better and tolerates noise more will result in less of an SNR drop. Also, the SNR at sync may also be getting mis-measured.

Lots of things going on.

0 Likes
Juggz11

I'm somewhat relieved that I am not the only one with this problem. My Internet connection is lost EVERYTIME I ANSWER OR  HANGUP THE PHONE!!!!!! I just had a phone repairman out because of a significant increase of noise on my phone line. Now I am having internet problems. I wish Verizon would get their crap together here in southern California. Of course I am expected to pay for all of this shi*#y service. Anyone have any ideas??? Its hard to go through what is posted because my internet drops like every 3 minutes.

0 Likes
Juggz11

I have my port forwarding set, and the line still drops. It's not a porting issue its an internet connection issue. I too am an Xbox gamer and this is FRUSTRATING!!!!!!

0 Likes