New DSL Problems
Sarisin

Hi, I am new to the forum. I guess new because up until recently I have been very happy with my Verizon DSL service and had no need to seek out advice/assistance from like souls.

I have had the Hi Speed DSL package (1-3mps) for over 2 and a half years. It has been great. So, good, in fact, that I have 'converted' a number of folks in my condo community from Comcast (only other ISP available in my NJ area) and they signed up for a similar plan. I have a dry loop set up. I have no need for a land line phone. I use a OOMA/pay as you go cell phone. I am out of the country 5-6 months a year and don't want the added monthly expense of a land line phone I will not use.

So, my problems seem to have started after getting the notice about dry loop setups basically being no longer supported.

Like others here, I started getting numerous disconnects over the last month. I started keeping a log and there were 22 of them from May13 to May28. They ranged in length from just a few minutes to over 4 hours. Honestly, those I can live with.

However, my speed over the last week has rapidly decreased to the near point of dial-up. I have run broadband speed tests every day for the last week and they are showing an average of 266K download and 64K upload. I used to routinely get 2 mb and higher for downloads and 1 mb for uploads.

I have had to cancel my MLB.TV subscription as that is unusable. Wireless devices such as iPads, iPods, and laptops are just about useless in my condo now. I cannot access online games on Steam where before they worked fine.  Even normal web-surfing and downloading of email is spotty with both often timing out.

I occasionally use a VPN but the problems exist whether I use it or not.

Any suggestions on what I might try? I have not called technical support yet. I am sure they will want me to get the land line, and, sadly, that would be my final choice in hope it would be fixed. Or, I could switch to Comcast, which I dred.

Thank you for reading.

0 Likes
Re: New DSL Problems
Sarisin

Sorry to reply to my own post requesting help.

I downloaded the Verizon In Home Agent. It downloaded at a speed of 36kps. I had routinely downloaded at 200-250kps previously.

Could someone please tell me how this works? It put an icon on my desktop. After agreeing to something or other, it spent about 5 minutes gathering user information. Now I have a box with a guy obviously a lot happier with his Verizon experience than me and don't know what to do next. I can't see anything to click to proceed further.

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how this home agent works and what I should do next.

Thank you

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you could share with us your modem Transceiver Statistics, that would be greatly appreciated. Tell us which modem you have if you don't know how to get them and we'll proceed further.

0 Likes
Bron5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi!  Just so you know, you are not the only one.  Lots of people from all over are reporting similar problems.  My DSL was great until about 3-4 months ago and then these problems started and have persisted since.  Line, modem, everything has been checked at my end and no issues found.  Still the problems persist.

Good luck!

0 Likes