New FIOS rates - confusing & scary
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

This link shows the new FIOS rates scheduled for implementation on 17 Jun 2012:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/2/3059741/verizon-fios-new-pricing-internet-plans

Apparently what Verizon is doing is upgrading existing plan/tier speeds and also increasing their cost.

What is confusing to me is my current plan, which I started last December, is for 35/35 speed and costs me $40/mo. as part of my quadruple-play Verizon service agreement.  According to the article, 35/35 is being upgraded to 75/35 at a cost of $85/mo.  

This seems like a ridiculously large price increase and if real will probably cause me to not renew my FIOS contract when it comes due.  Of course I may be mis-reading or mis-interpreting what the article says, which I hope is the case.

0 Likes
Re: New FIOS rates - confusing & scary
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What you're seeing as far as pricing goes in that article is for unbundled pricing (essentially, if you get FiOS Internet and nothing else). If you have a triple play, expect the price to be a bit less. I do agree that the pricing is a bit high, but what you do when competition charges the same price for somewhat less speed on the upload. Not much I'm afraid. It's still more generous than what you'd get for a business class line without an SLA, but for the 15Mbps/5Mbps plan the price could drop a bit back down to the pre-2007 price range of FiOS, to say $35-40 a month standalone.

If you're in a contract right now, unless Verizon generously grants speeds to those in contract for the same price, your speeds and price remain the same. When it comes time for renewal of the contract, either renew your current service or go to a new bundle with a contract or month to month, based on the pricing at that time.