No DNS Name Resolution During File Downloads
eredani
Enthusiast - Level 1

During file downloads (for example new display drivers), my Fios router does not respond to DNS requests.  It acts like it can only do one thing at a time:  download a file OR processes name resolution.

A typical browser error is "DNS name could not be found" or "the site could not be reached".  I have confirmed this is a DNS issue via the command prompt using the nslookup command.  While file downloads are in progress no new DNS requests are processed and no new web sites can be reached.  Existing site connections and cached DNS information still operate as expected.

I've had the same configuration for years but I've only noticed this problem in the last six months or so.  I can work around it but it's quite annoying at times.  Any ideas?

Here is what this looks like from the command line - the first query was during a GeForce display driver download, the second command was immediately after the download completed:

C:\Users\Eredani>nslookup www.cnn.com
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.1.1

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

C:\Users\Eredani>nslookup www.cnn.com
Server: G3100.myfiosgateway.com
Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: cnn-tls.map.fastly.net
Addresses: 2a04:4e42:77::773
Aliases: www.cnn.com

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: No DNS Name Resolution During File Downloads
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

How is the ping latency to the router when the file download is occurring? Is it going up a ton?