Not getting IPv6 from FiOS ONT box.
ZTRNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have confirmed with FiOS tech support that IPv6 is available in my area and even others are receiving access to it.  No matter what I connect to my ONT box (Via ethernet) I am not getting IPv6.  I am not using the FiOS gateway but my own router. (I have seen users around the internet use their own routers and have no issues getting IPv6).  I have tried 3 differant routers and even connecting my PC and Xbox One directly to the ONT box, but no IPv6 coming through.  I even had the FiOS reset the ONT box remotely but no luck.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Custer1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm the original poster in the DSLreports thread.

I'm in Waltham MA, and getting IPv6 fine for more than a year now. Another poster, also in Waltham MA, verified this. We are in the same town as Verizon's advanced technology center, so perhaps it rolled out here first.

However, it seems no one else is receiving it outside of Waltham.

I can't believe it's not available in all Verizon FiOS locations yet, since it's been available on Verizon Wireless for a very long time.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
jonjones1
Legend

@ZTRNJ wrote:

I have confirmed with FiOS tech support that IPv6 is available in my area and even others are receiving access to it.  No matter what I connect to my ONT box (Via ethernet) I am not getting IPv6.  I am not using the FiOS gateway but my own router. (I have seen users around the internet use their own routers and have no issues getting IPv6).  I have tried 3 differant routers and even connecting my PC and Xbox One directly to the ONT box, but no IPv6 coming through.  I even had the FiOS reset the ONT box remotely but no luck.


I don't know what information may have been given to you, but outside of verizon wireless IPv6 is not available yet. You would best check this out via http://www.dslreports.com/verizon and there are lengthy discussions on the issue 

ZTRNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2
jonjones1
Legend

Read the whole thread. Here is the last page on the issue 

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32136440-Networking-IPv6-working~start=600

it seems it is not verizon fios but a residual of Verizon Wireless 

ZTRNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did. The original poster shared screenshots of his router (Verizon FiOS getting an IPv6 address)  There is a discussion of others stated VZW is IPv6 also.

jonjones1
Legend

@ZTRNJ wrote:

I did. The original poster shared screenshots of his router (Verizon FiOS getting an IPv6 address)  There is a discussion of others stated VZW is IPv6 also.


The last page clearly stares and a poster has said IPv6 is not available yet. Those that say they had it, write back and say they no longer have it.

in one reply over there I told that verizon wireless does use IPv6 but not fios.

there is a discussion on why its not really necessary, and a few gamers saying it would be better and a regular poster stated verizon is not going to give IPv6 just because a few forum posters are wanting it.

if it comes it comes, if not then we don't see it for a few more years. Fios has been promising it for years. Right now verizon sees 5G as where they want to be.

Custer1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm the original poster in the DSLreports thread.

I'm in Waltham MA, and getting IPv6 fine for more than a year now. Another poster, also in Waltham MA, verified this. We are in the same town as Verizon's advanced technology center, so perhaps it rolled out here first.

However, it seems no one else is receiving it outside of Waltham.

I can't believe it's not available in all Verizon FiOS locations yet, since it's been available on Verizon Wireless for a very long time.

jonjones1
Legend

@Custer wrote:

I'm the original poster in the DSLreports thread.

I'm in Waltham MA, and getting IPv6 fine for more than a year now. Another poster, also in Waltham MA, verified this. We are in the same town as Verizon's advanced technology center, so perhaps it rolled out here first.

However, it seems no one else is receiving it outside of Waltham.

I can't believe it's not available in all Verizon FiOS locations yet, since it's been available on Verizon Wireless for a very long time.


I again must point out that in the thread I originally directed you towards it clearly states no IPv6 is available. Now as you say in your area maybe a test area, I can tell you where I live no IPv6 is available. I have read a vpn service like Nord or hurricane gives such. I cannot say that this statement is correct. I have read it at the thread I mentioned. 

verizon has no need to upgrade from ipv4 for this point in time. 

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jonjones wrote:


verizon has no need to upgrade from ipv4 for this point in time. 


Please explain why you feel that way.

I marked the OP's thread as solved, since the post explains why most likely why they are not seeing IPv6 yet.

jonjones1
Legend

@dslr595148 wrote:

@jonjones wrote:


verizon has no need to upgrade from ipv4 for this point in time. 


Please explain why you feel that way.

I marked the OP's thread as solved, since the post explains why most likely why they are not seeing IPv6 yet.


The thread I directed them to explained my reply and explained to them what was going on.

The poster who was writing about Waltham MA may have been in a test area as they claim. Both at this forum and DslReports state no IPv6 and I know you are on that site as I am. 

Custer1
Enthusiast - Level 2

IPv6 is not available to the overwhelming majority of FiOS customers. I am not disputing that--it is true.

I know it is available where I live because I use it every day and have for about a year, pass IPv6 tests with no tunnel (I know what tunnels are and have used them before), and get an IPv6 address in Verizon's known range. Towns next to me do not have it, but at least one other poster in the DSL Reports forum is in my town and has it. The hypothesis is that my town contains a Verizon advanced technology center and that might be why.

I'm simply trying to give facts. The stAtement that no one has it isn't true. The statement that only extremely limited areas have it is true.

jonjones1
Legend

@Custer wrote:

IPv6 is not available to the overwhelming majority of FiOS customers. I am not disputing that--it is true.

I know it is available where I live because I use it every day and have for about a year, pass IPv6 tests with no tunnel (I know what tunnels are and have used them before), and get an IPv6 address in Verizon's known range. Towns next to me do not have it, but at least one other poster in the DSL Reports forum is in my town and has it. The hypothesis is that my town contains a Verizon advanced technology center and that might be why.

I'm simply trying to give facts. The stAtement that no one has it isn't true. The statement that only extremely limited areas have it is true.


In your situation you have what 99.999% don't have. The original poster was stating the information was from Verizon when they contacted them. Saying IPv6 was available and then had no such availability. 

the crux of the situation is maybe should be said "it is not available in all of fios yet" which would be a better analogy. I have read your reply and as such now I believe two folks on another forum say they have does not make the statement of "no one has it yet" to be unfactual. Since two customers out of thousands are saying its live. But still not enough to say outside a test area fios now uses IPv6 yet.

Custer1
Enthusiast - Level 2

What is your area? If you're not in Waltham MA, you probably don't have it.

It does not require a FiOS router. I use an Eero router connected by ethernet to my FiOS ONT; no Verizon router anywhere.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I was planning on keeping that post as solved until the OP of this thread at Verizon's message boards to reply back that they are in an area where that they should be getting IPv6 (like in the same town as Verizon's advanced technology center) and yet they still don't have IPv6 - Upon mounting pressure and while still waiting for the OP to reply (publicly or to my PM/IM/DM), I changed my mind. It is no longer mark as solved.

Sorry for the misunderstanding and wasting your time.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I sent them a PM/a DM/an IM, not only did I not get a reply back yet - I know that they have not read it either.

Which is a bit annoying, I sent them it on 10/19/2019 at 11:47 AM and yet they were last seen on 10-19-2019 at 03:10 PM (this is correct as of the date and time it is now).

Common OP:

#1 see your PM/DM/IMs from the people who sent them to you.

#2 Reply to us publicly.