Re: Not liking the McAfee security - anyone else ??
rellim5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mcafee is driving me crazy. I keep getting a message that I must activate the Verizon McAfee Security Suite by 1/30/11 or my computer will be unprotected. I've hit "activate" several times, the wheel spins, then I get an error message that the Security Suite cannot be activated at this time. It says I should contact Verizon Support. I have contacted Verizon support support. They tell me this is a McAfee problem, not a Verizon problem, and I should look at "www.DropDead.com". I've spent many hours looking at web sites supplied by Verizon all over the place, and still no solution. I'm getting very tired of this techie nonsense. 1/30/11 is coming in a few days. If I don't find a solution by then, I'll be unable to use the internet . I'm. new to using  my own computer, and am thinking of chucking the whole thing. Or perhaps seeing if I can cancel the security contract with Verizon, going to Easy Tech at Staples, and asking them to install Norton for me. This nonsense is taking hours and hours I should be devoting to more important work, not trying to solve **bleep** , unnecessary technical puzzles.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Don't bother with Norton, McAfee. Security Suites are honestly unneeded and tend to be more trouble than they're worth. Download and install Panda Cloud AV or Avast! Free Anti-Virus, both of which are very lightweight on resources and have great detection rates; remove any other Anti-virus software before installing one of them. Use Windows Firewall as a firewall, and also keep MalwareBytes Anti-Malware handy. For a browser, I suggest Firefox with the Adblock Plus Plugin (subscribed to EasyList USA). You'll be covered nicely with this setup.
rellim5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the information. I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind, but I don't know if I have the cumputer sophistication to do all that right now.I'm learning a lot from these current struggles though. I really appreciate your concern for m  y security problems. Verizon Support has not been very helpful. I also accidently blocked the screen sharing they use to help. (www.verizon.net/share). Can you tell me how to unblock it in mcAfee---thank you

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Open up the Security Suite and search for the Program Control section of the firewall. It should show a listing of programs on the computer that are allowed or denied access to the network/Internet. Find the name of the support software they use, and simply change it from Deny to Allow. I'm not too familiar with the software, but it should give you an idea of where to look.
0 Likes
rellim5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your concern and suggestion about my Verizon Security Suite problem. Today (1/30/11) a message came up that my computer was not secure. Ann at tech support blew out the current system, reinstalled and activated it. Why couldn't someone from tech support have done this sooner, saving me many hours on the phone and much fooling around with multiple websites trying to solve this problem. Oh well, better late than never. But I really resent all the time and agita I spent trying to solve this **bleep** problem

0 Likes
LucyLou3

I have McAfee and was looking at a site that has domains and websites for bidding and buying purposes when I got a virus or something that locked my computer up.  I saw a red warning in a flash.  It happened so fast.  I had been looking at the site a long time and was deep in the site.  The site allows you to click on the actual site in order to look at it and I think that's when it happened.  The site is popular (Flippa.com).  They wouldn't do anything about it either.  It cost me almost  $100 to get it fixed.  McAfee would not own up to it.

PhonicsSealed.com

0 Likes
rellim5
Enthusiast - Level 2

People who know computers much better than I tell me McAfee is not the best Security Suite. They recommend Norton, Bit Defender, Kaparsky, and other systems mentioned in this blog.I'll stick with Verizon McAfee for now, but   I intend to research this issue in Consumer Reports and other sites. Going out on the web without a really good security suite is like having sex with many strangers without a really good condom---very dangerous!

0 Likes