OpenDNS and Fios - OpenDNs no longer loads
jimarsul1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I use opendns for the filtering of content they do and for the last week I cannot connect to opendns - page tries to load and after 5 minutes either times out or displays an unformatted page - the opendns "blocked" page also does not load.  As soon as i remove thier nameservers from the router and reboot - all loads fine, of course i am then no longer using opendns nameservers.  OpenDNS has checked on their end and nothing has changed - my machines have not changed either.

Thoughts and suggestions?

One thing, with the opendns servers in the router I can access the opendns site as normal using my work pc via VPN.  ???

Thanx again in advance.

Re: OpenDNS and Fios - OpenDNs no longer loads
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

it may be an issue with your IP address being blocked by OpenDNS. You could call tech support and have them release the IP and get you a new one, or you can turn your router off for 2-4 hours (I'd recommend turning off overnight) and then when you turn it back on, you'll have a new IP and try the OpenDNS again.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

that is a good suggestion, especially if you can access the site using www.megaproxy.com/freesurf which masks your ip address as something else.   if you can access using that site, then the problem is related to your IP And the suggestion given should fix your problem

jimarsul1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yep, I can access via megaproxy. tonight I will turn off the router and restart tomorrow - hopefully with a new IP - if all is good you both get kudos and we can mark this solved - any idea why ip gets blocked by opendns?

Thanx again - fingers crossed

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Many times a web site will get hacked or have someone causing problems on their servers so they block the IP. The only problem with that in this day and age is that almost everyone gets dynamic IP's. So they change (or can change) every few days. So the problem maker gets a new IP and goes on reeking havoc and the new person that gets the IP inherits the problems due to the IP having been blocked.

Back in the day of static IP's this was an effective tool. But now with dynamic IP's its an outdated idea, but most web admins have not kept up with the times.

jimarsul1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hmmm, ok IP changed earlier this morning - cleaned cach's and rebooted router - just tried again .... same thing as before - going to give it a bit more work since it is pouring down rain here and nothing better to do at the moment ;>)

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

do you have a record of the IP addresses?

Did they change blocks?  the block is the first two sets of numbers. IE.  192.168.1.1     on this the block will be 192.168. Did you get different blocks or different IP's in the same block?

jimarsul1
Enthusiast - Level 2

No just the last two SAME.SAME.changed.changed   so that would be different ip in same block. -

I will attempt again to get another block change - hang tight -

Did a quick release and renew in the router and only the last two blocks changed.  hmmm

jimarsul1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mysteriously it started working again with nothing done on my end.... I thank you all for your suggestions and they will be the first I try when this happens again.  FYI - I did grab two other opendns nameservers today and left the public ones out for now.  All still running well.