Protecting an ONT with a UPS - Good Idea?
CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

I have internet-only service from Verizon (no voice, no TV.) My ONT is installed in my basement.

Is it a good idea to protect my ONT with a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) for times when the power briefly goes out?

If the answer is yes: Can I use the same type of UPS that I use with my computers, or does Verizon require or prefer a particular type of UPS for internet-only service? (The  information at https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/battery-backup/backup-unit only applies to voice service.)

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Protecting an ONT with a UPS - Good Idea?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, use of a UPS is a good practice. This assumes that routers, extenders and desktops are also supported by UPSs.

The BBU offered by Verizon, as noted, only supports telephone service. Even more importantly, the device requires manual intervention to function.

There is no hard & fast rule as to which make & model to select. I, myself, use a large Tripp Lite UPS to keep my ONT and router powered through blackouts.

Two of my three extenders are connected to smaller Tripp Lite units.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, use of a UPS is a good practice. This assumes that routers, extenders and desktops are also supported by UPSs.

The BBU offered by Verizon, as noted, only supports telephone service. Even more importantly, the device requires manual intervention to function.

There is no hard & fast rule as to which make & model to select. I, myself, use a large Tripp Lite UPS to keep my ONT and router powered through blackouts.

Two of my three extenders are connected to smaller Tripp Lite units.

Re: Protecting an ONT with a UPS - Good Idea? [EDITED]
CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks very much for your help.

I just had a look in my basement, and it seems like my ONT may be attached to a Verizon power reserve made by Nokia:

The part number is 3MV00736AAAA, which I haven't been able to find on the internet. 

This is clearly not a UPS, which is much larger. I think it may be a power reserve because the power cord from the ONT connects to this, which in turn connects to the wall outlet.

If I add my own UPS, will it replace this item, or will it go between this item and the wall outlet?

EDIT:

I chatted with a Verizon tech about this. The Nokia is, in fact, a Verizon power reserve. I imagine it was installed in case I decide to get voice service in the future (unlikely.)

The tech said I should add my UPS after the power reserve. So the complete circuit is: ONT to power reserve to UPS to electrical power. They were quite sure about that, although I wonder if a UPS manufacturer would agree. Nevertheless, I'm no one's idea of an electrician, so that's how I'll do it.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Repeat after me: "The power reserve is useless."

Why?  Consider these points:

• Requires a big pile of D-cell alkaline batteries
  • Is not rechargeable, cannot use rechargeable batteries.
  • Must be manually turned on during outages
  • Must be manually turned off after outages
  • Only powers phone servce

Verizon sells them as a way to meet FCC requirements for phone service, but that's about all they are good for.  I suggest you unplug it from the power supply and trash it.  If you don't want to do that, just don't put batteries in it.

You are correct in asking about adding a UPS to your system.  Plug the ONT's power supply into a UPS, and you'll have automatic, rechargeable backup for all services (internet, TV and phone).  For my money, internet is the most important one, as it provides the most value in being able to maintain communications.

Any UPS will work.  The size of the UPS depends on the amount of runtime you'll think you need vs. your budget.  For example, if you live in an area with aerial lines and lots of trees, you may be subject to frequent, long outages.  If you want to keep services up for the duration of the outage, a big UPS will be more useful.  If you have a generator for long outages, then the UPS can be small as it will only need to support the switchover time.

I'm partial to APC, but Amazon's Basic line of UPSs looks decent.  Maybe there will be some prime-day deals?

Also note the term "BBU" refers to an older battery-backup-unit that Verizon used to install with Fios.  It was a true rechargeable battery system that automatically powered phone service.  They haven't installed them in years and actively remove them when working on older installations.  If you don't have one, don't even worry about them as you'll never get one.  A UPS is a better option, as it powers everything.

CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you again for your great advice.

I admitted earlier that I'm no electrician, but I have a good amount of knowledge about UPSes, since I've purchased many and had to learn about them. Something didn't feel right about including the power reserve in the circuit, and I'm glad that I don't have to do that, and I won't.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes