QNAP NAS
ghandlin

I recently upgraded from the quantum router + google mesh to the G3100. I used to be able to access my nas with just the machine name, both to hit the web UI as well as network shares, but now I can't access it no matter what I do. If I ping it, it resolves the FQDN (I have not changed from the mynetworksettings.com default), but the requests all time out, same doing a tracert. 

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
12 Replies
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Mentioning a router change from G1100 to G3100 may be a red herring. I believe the problem resides with your device's DNS cache. It is likely that G3100 assigns a different IP address to the NAS than G1100, so the aged DNS entry on your device no longer resolves to the correct IP.

What devices are you using to access the NAS? Is it a Windows, MacOS, Linux, or a cell phone?

ghandlin

Windows machines. I've flushed the DNS on the laptop and it has the same IP as what the modem is saying. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could you ping the NAS IP address?

Fios does not use modems. I think you mean G3100 router.

ghandlin

Pinging resolves the FQDN, but the actual ping request times out.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ghandlin wrote:

Pinging resolves the FQDN, but the actual ping request times out.

I know your ping resolves the name. That was not my question. My question is can you actually ping the IP of the NAS?

Name based ping does DNS resolution and ICMP echo. Could we eliminate one variable by just doing an IP-based ping to see whether the ICMP echo is working?

ghandlin

No, the requests time out.

Pinging 192.168.1.156 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Pinging IP address timing out suggests the host is down, the route is broken, or the link is broken. OR, the NAS is simply not using this IP. Could you figure out the actual IP of the NAS?

ghandlin

That's the IP listed by the router.

nas.png

0 Likes
ghandlin

nas.jpg

0 Likes
ghandlin

I don't know why neither the png or jpg image is showing. Regardless, that is the ip that the router lists for the device. I realize that pinging the IP address and getting no response suggests it is offline, but that is certainly not the case. I don't think ICMP is turned off on the device, but of course I can't check now. Doing a tracert also results in timeouts. Doing an nslookup verifies the IP address.

Server: G3100.mynetworksettings.com
Address: 192.168.1.1

Name: elitenas.mynetworksettings.com
Address: 192.168.1.156

I'm not a networking expert, but I'm also not inexperienced, so this is really making me crazy.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ghandlin wrote:

I don't know why neither the png or jpg image is showing...

That is because it/they are waiting for a mod/an admin to approve of the images.

@ghandlin wrote:

...Regardless, that is the ip that the router lists for the device. I realize that pinging the IP address and getting no response suggests it is offline, but that is certainly not the case. I don't think ICMP is turned off on the device, but of course I can't check now. Doing a tracert also results in timeouts. Doing an nslookup verifies the IP address.

Server: G3100.mynetworksettings.com
Address: 192.168.1.1

Name: elitenas.mynetworksettings.com
Address: 192.168.1.156

I'm not a networking expert, but I'm also not inexperienced, so this is really making me crazy.

There are two kinds of IP Address(es): Either DHCP or a Static IP Address.

For a Static IP Address it can either be a manual static or set by the NAT router IP Address (note tends to be callled Static-DHCP or IP Address Reservation). By set by the NAT router IP Address, I mean for example if the MAC/Physical/Hardware Address of the unit was 10-1A-11-A1-1A-AA, then you would tell the NAT router to give to 10-1A-11-A1-1A-AA the IP Address of 192.168.1.156

Is this device setup to use a static IP (either by Manual Static or Static-DHCP/IP Address Reservation) ?

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

With due respect, I think you have rejected my proposal to eliminate some variables out of the troubleshooting. Reading NAS IP off the router and use nslookup all relies on G3100’s dnsmasq to find out the IP of the NAS. Like I tried to suggest before, G3100’s DNS host table could be the very origin of your trouble. I have suggested you to find out the NAS IP without relying on the DNS or host table of any other device. One way to do this is to use nmap to ping scan your entire subnet and locate the IP address associated with the MAC address of your NAS. MAC address should be printed on your NAS. If it is not, you can recognize the NAS MAC through Organization Unique Identifier of the MAC address, namely the first 6 digits.