Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
RichLux
Contributor - Level 1

For the past 2 weeks or so, my G1100 router will no longer connect reliably at 5ghz. My devices will connect and then immediately disconnect or refuse to connect at all. If I reboot the router or change anything in the wifi settings that causes the router to reset the wireless, 5ghz will work again for a day or so, but then the same thing will happen. I have tried many different 5ghz channels, but none fix the issue for more than a day or so. I have no issues with 2.4ghz, only 5ghz.  Prior to this problem recently, everything worked fine for over a year. I posted over at DSLReports and one other person has the same issue, but no one has any resolution to the problem.

Has anyone here seen this issue?  Does anyone know if Verizon pushed a firmware update over the last 2 weeks?

Rich

1 Solution
VeryKool1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I advise everyone to consider being their own Wi-Fi router (Such as Eero Pro 6), disabling the wifi on the G1100 and using it only to feed Fios channel information to the STB. It is ludicrous to pay the exorbitant amount of money Verizon wants for their routers, as apposed to buying you own and have the ability to use them with another provider should Verizon no longer suit your need.

View solution in original post

417 Replies
capnfatpants
Enthusiast - Level 2

Reading the thread of the link, a lot of router manufacturers are having to update their firmware. So, it falls in line... I'm not saying Verizon/green wave doesn't need to address it, I would just like to understand the problem better.

0 Likes
Reply
JV42
Newbie

 Guess what: Verizon sells and supports the router. They have to fix it! Or you can just let them off the hook and live with it and kiss their **bleep**.  For $200 a month I expect better. If you have a problem just fess up and ask me to wait for a fix and I will be patient. Don’t tell me it’s my environment and waist hours of my time blaming interfence in my House over and over again.  This is not some mom and pop shop but they behave like one! Stand up!!!!

0 Likes
Reply
GB72
Newbie

My thoughts exactly! We pay a monthly bill and Verizon should fix the issue or stop charging for their services. They’ve outgrown themselves and seem to be having great difficulty performing quality service. I’ve been asked multiple times to take time out of my day to perform cable and troubleshooting work for them. I don’t work for Verizon, nor did I sign up to volunteer as a cableman for the cable service I subscribe (pay) to. Verizon’s service sucks! I’m ooking for a replacement as we speak. For nearly $200/month my BRAND NEW cable box cuts off (reboots) approximately 2-3 times every 10-15 minutes! That’s not what I signed up for.

0 Likes
Reply
JV42
Newbie

Verizon has to drive push for the fix from Greenwave and communicate with their customers!

0 Likes
Reply
Scoutzer01
Enthusiast - Level 2

So Verizon CS said that Greenwave is responsible for releasing the patch and Verizon isn't sure when that might be. So find Greenwave on Twitter and request a timeframe on when they'll release the patch.

0 Likes
Reply
eddy001
Newbie

Hi all,

I'm assuming no real resolution has been identified? I have the same issue and have tried all obvious steps:

- Originally Verizon thought it was a router issue so they sent me a replacement but I'm having the same issue with the replacment router.

- Both SSIDs have completely different names / passwords.

- 2.4ghz is set to automatic channel selection

- For 5ghz, I've tried automatic as well as manually setting channel to pretty much all available options. After changing the channel it works for a few hours and goes down.

- Channel width for 2.4ghz is 20 and for 5ghz it's 80 but this is the setting that the Quantum G1100 router doesn't let you change anyway.

I've spent days on this but no luck. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
Reply
kdecoteau1
Newbie

Hi all. I notice that, my internet been doing that for some time now, constantly cutting off and no connection. Most times I have to power off and reconnect the device to get it working. Lately I have to used my Verizon Note 8 as mobile hotspot for my Amazon Fire TV, because of the constant disconnection of my fios internet. Hopefully Verizon can come out with a (Wave 2 wireless router) the current router Antenna have very weak strength. I been using an Old T-Mobile ASUS CellSpot as my router, the only bad thing, it doesn't come with a Coax Cable connection for the fios tv. Other than that, it works great 👍. So maybe Verizon comes out with a very good router.

0 Likes
Reply
eelhc
Enthusiast - Level 2

I purchased a used Frontier G1100 Gateway/Router and installed in place of the Verizon version.  Physically, the routers look identical save for the Frontier logo on the side.  The user interface is also similar except there are Frontier logos and sign-ons for additional services.

Details for the Frontier router:

UI Version: v1.0.208
Firmware Version 01.03.01.12
Model Name: FiOS-G1100
Hardware Version: 1.03 

I copied my configuration file from the Verizon router and everything is up and running.  No issues with 5GHz (so far).

Could it be that the Frontier router has an older, working version of firmware and does not get new firmware pushed to it on the Verizon network?  It certainly does look like Verizon broke something.

ymDroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't understand why someone would buy another G1100, even if it was made by another manufacturer like Frontier vs Greenwave.

The G1100 is absolutely crap for wireless signal even when the 5ghz is working.

Just turn off the wireless antenna and get a much better router like the Netgear Nighthawk or the Ubiquiti mesh access points. 

Why spent money on a product that is mediocre at best.

Netgear genie software walks you through the entire switch over process. It's cake.

0 Likes
Reply
hermetic_charm

@yosM45 wrote:

I don't understand why someone would buy another G1100, even if it was made by another manufacturer like Frontier vs Greenwave.

The G1100 is absolutely crap for wireless signal even when the 5ghz is working.

Just turn off the wireless antenna and get a much better router like the Netgear Nighthawk or the Ubiquiti mesh access points. 

Why spent money on a product that is mediocre at best.

Netgear genie software walks you through the entire switch over process. It's cake.



Is it possible to just completely remove the G1100 from the equation?  I would prefer to just send it back to Verizon and have my own router, the idea of running both in parallel just bothers me on some level, plus I am renting the G1100 and would prefer to not keep paying for a garbage router that I am not even using.

0 Likes
Reply
Steb0ne
Enthusiast - Level 3

@hermetic_charm wrote:

@yosM45 wrote:

I don't understand why someone would buy another G1100, even if it was made by another manufacturer like Frontier vs Greenwave.

The G1100 is absolutely crap for wireless signal even when the 5ghz is working.

Just turn off the wireless antenna and get a much better router like the Netgear Nighthawk or the Ubiquiti mesh access points. 

Why spent money on a product that is mediocre at best.

Netgear genie software walks you through the entire switch over process. It's cake.



Is it possible to just completely remove the G1100 from the equation?  I would prefer to just send it back to Verizon and have my own router, the idea of running both in parallel just bothers me on some level, plus I am renting the G1100 and would prefer to not keep paying for a garbage router that I am not even using.


If you don't have TV service you can... But if you have TV then the STB wouldn't work properly without it. You could  piggy back your own router behind the Verizon router

0 Likes
Reply
kdecoteau1
Newbie

Hi there, this is about the piggyback of Verizon G1100 router. 

Today I tried a new trick that just came to mind.

I uninstalled Verizon router, USED a 6 feet 23 awg Cat7 1200mhz Ethernet cable with an old T-Mobile Asus AC1750 Cellspot as main router. I also have Verizon fios tv which wouldn't work without the G1100 because of the coax cable connection. I used AC1750 as main router, then G1100 as a Ethernet to coax for the tv, works excellent so far. I'm planning on getting a Netgear AC5300 Tri-Band X8  router, it have the mu-mimo 4x4, dual 4x4 5Ghz channel, plus single 4x4 2.4Ghz channel. I'll just used Verizon router as a adapter for tv and  nighawk as main router. Maybe in time Verizon comes up with a router quality as nighthawk, then we wouldn't need a none Verizon wireless router.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/NETGEAR-AC5300-Nighthawk-X8-Tri-Band-WiFi-Router/49305018?wmlspartner=wlp...

0 Likes
Reply
kdecoteau1
Newbie

I call them today, only sorry for the inconvenience. I had the problem for more  than 6 months now, I was using my Verizon cell phones and iPad's as main source for internet. last month I used 167GB of data, hopefully Verizon don't cap my wireless speed or drop me from there network. In my area I get 215mbps on my Note8, 147mbps iPhone 8 plus and 190mbps iPad pro 10.5 download speeds. If wasn't for these speeds, would had to cancel Verizon fios service because of the faulty G1100 router. Maybe soon they'll fixed the issue or push out a better G router.

0 Likes
Reply
jonjones1
Legend

@Steb0ne wrote:

@hermetic_charm wrote:

@yosM45 wrote:

I don't understand why someone would buy another G1100, even if it was made by another manufacturer like Frontier vs Greenwave.

The G1100 is absolutely crap for wireless signal even when the 5ghz is working.

Just turn off the wireless antenna and get a much better router like the Netgear Nighthawk or the Ubiquiti mesh access points. 

Why spent money on a product that is mediocre at best.

Netgear genie software walks you through the entire switch over process. It's cake.



Is it possible to just completely remove the G1100 from the equation?  I would prefer to just send it back to Verizon and have my own router, the idea of running both in parallel just bothers me on some level, plus I am renting the G1100 and would prefer to not keep paying for a garbage router that I am not even using.


If you don't have TV service you can... But if you have TV then the STB wouldn't work properly without it. You could  piggy back your own router behind the Verizon router


Incorrect. The Verizon router is not needed for the set top boxes to work.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

The above link explains how to connect in various ways. And more.

0 Likes
Reply
Steb0ne
Enthusiast - Level 3

@jonjones wrote:

@Steb0ne wrote:

@hermetic_charm wrote:

@yosM45 wrote:

I don't understand why someone would buy another G1100, even if it was made by another manufacturer like Frontier vs Greenwave.

The G1100 is absolutely crap for wireless signal even when the 5ghz is working.

Just turn off the wireless antenna and get a much better router like the Netgear Nighthawk or the Ubiquiti mesh access points. 

Why spent money on a product that is mediocre at best.

Netgear genie software walks you through the entire switch over process. It's cake.



Is it possible to just completely remove the G1100 from the equation?  I would prefer to just send it back to Verizon and have my own router, the idea of running both in parallel just bothers me on some level, plus I am renting the G1100 and would prefer to not keep paying for a garbage router that I am not even using.


If you don't have TV service you can... But if you have TV then the STB wouldn't work properly without it. You could  piggy back your own router behind the Verizon router


Incorrect. The Verizon router is not needed for the set top boxes to work.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

The above link explains how to connect in various ways. And more.


That's not correct... The STB uses MOCA from the router to provide data connectivity to the STB for the program guide and VOD to work. If all you care about is live video signal it'll work but your STB wouldn't have data without MOCA

0 Likes
Reply
jonjones1
Legend

If you read the link, it can be used with a MOCA adapter or a splitter.

you never need a Verizon router. It’s what Verizon likes to tell customers to foster more MONEY

the link I gave gives many ways to connect. Including using a customer supplied router and how to keep tv etc. 

Steb0ne
Enthusiast - Level 3

@jonjones wrote:

If you read the link, it can be used with a MOCA adapter or a splitter.

you never need a Verizon router. It’s what Verizon likes to tell customers to foster more MONEY

the link I gave gives many ways to connect. Including using a customer supplied router and how to keep tv etc. 


Also notice I said... "Work properly"... And depending on which STB you're using you'll find results vary on that configuration you describe. 

In addition... You try to call in for help when stuff don't work and there's literally no support, lol! So instead of buying a MOCA adapter or splitter you'd be better off buying an old Verizon router off eBay and piggybacking your own

jonjones1
Legend

Steb0ne wrote:


Also notice I said... "Work properly"... And depending on which STB you're using you'll find results vary on that configuration you describe. 

In addition... You try to call in for help when stuff don't work and there's literally no support, lol! So instead of buying a MOCA adapter or splitter you'd be better off buying an old Verizon router off eBay and piggybacking your own


That may true as to the support, but on using certain setups the tv works and that is really all that matters.

Just remember Verizon is not going to try and assist you on removing their equipment when it’s taking profits away from the corporate. No company is going to place their profits over the consumer.

0 Likes
Reply
Steb0ne
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm


@jonjones wrote:

@Steb0ne wrote:


Also notice I said... "Work properly"... And depending on which STB you're using you'll find results vary on that configuration you describe. 

In addition... You try to call in for help when stuff don't work and there's literally no support, lol! So instead of buying a MOCA adapter or splitter you'd be better off buying an old Verizon router off eBay and piggybacking your own


That may true as to the support, but on using certain setups the tv works and that is really all that matters.

Just remember Verizon is not going to try and assist you on removing their equipment when it’s taking profits away from the corporate. No company is going to place their profits over the consumer.


To some degree that's true but not always... A lot of people aren't paying Verizon for those routers anyway. They got them for free with certain packages so it's no money lost or affecting profits. They still getting their money from the data plan. If someone is renting the router then I'd say that yes that would hurt their profits. 

I do however think that most customers aren't that tech savvy and are gonna call Verizon for help and support. More advanced users aren't even going to call, lol! Only reason I'm even commenting on this thread is because it showed up on my Google Now feed and I had something to contribute. 

0 Likes
Reply
Bjr21
Newbie

Same here. I saw the thread on Google now and was interested because i had the same problem. Verizon's marketing or lack thereof,  baffles me and irritates rhe crap out of me. Did i miss a tech note from them describing the problem, and maybe a fix?

0 Likes
Reply
Steb0ne
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Bjr2 wrote:

Same here. I saw the thread on Google now and was interested because i had the same problem. Verizon's marketing or lack thereof,  baffles me and irritates rhe crap out of me. Did i miss a tech note from them describing the problem, and maybe a fix?


What's crazy is that employees didn't even know about the bug until a couple weeks ago, lol! Probably cuz they noticed everybody sending new routers

0 Likes
Reply