Replacing Westell 2100 Modem with 6100
odddon
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am next to clueless with this stuff, so be kind. I've been having to reboot my 6 year old 2100 at least once a week to get my max DL speed back. Verizon sent me a 6100 to replace it in hopes that it might solve the problem. I swapped all the connections, but the Internet light on the 6100 stays red. What do I need to do to get the 6100 up and running? It came with no instructions. Do I need to call Verizon and have them enable it or whatever? Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Replacing Westell 2100 Modem with 6100
mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2

Are you using the 6100 with a third party router?  If yes, then the modem needs to be set to bridge mode.  This link will help you with the procedure.

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/Networking/SetUp/QuestionsThree/123756.htm

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2

Are you using the 6100 with a third party router?  If yes, then the modem needs to be set to bridge mode.  This link will help you with the procedure.

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/Networking/SetUp/QuestionsThree/123756.htm

0 Likes
odddon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the link, I'll look at it now, however I get the same result with or without my router (Netgear).

0 Likes
odddon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Support walked me through it, though it was pretty much the same solution as the link you posted, but without the router. Thanks.

0 Likes
imanjunk
Enthusiast - Level 1

Strange thing, I always had a Westell 6100 with my netgear wireless for 3yrs now.  Went from 1meg to 3meg with no modem reboot issues but when i got to the 7meg plan and now the 10/15meg plan, I have to reboot my westell like clock work almost every 7 days...no one knows why and I have not changed anything but the plan upgrade. I suspect V is doing something with the line regularly.  But the thing is its not a nightly or off hours issue...it could be AM, noon or early PM when this happens but the sequence seems to be every 7th day or so.  It happened today for the first time on my new 10/15 meg plan.  I have a new verizon 7500 modem/wireless combo that i may try to see if it fixes that.  But otherwise never had issues with the westell 6100/netgear combo i have on 24x7.

0 Likes