Router Security
Silly_Verizon

I have just noticed that once you login to Verizon, it shows you the status of your Wireless Router, including SSID and Password.  In addition, it allows users to change these settings from the verizon website.  Albeit convienient for the lay person, from a security stand-point I don't applaud this effort from verizon.  Local access to my router, via IP address on my home network, is the most secure way to ensure its security.  By allowing this remote access, anyone who can access my Verizon online account (as far stretched as it can be) would be able to alter my router settings and penetrate my network.  

0 Likes
1 Solution
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are correct. 

Verizon can also access it for diagnostics purposes on port 4567. For the security conscious, its definitely best to use your own router. Unfortunately, most tech made for lay people is not always the most secure, since convenience is always seen unfortunately as more of a priority. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are correct. 

Verizon can also access it for diagnostics purposes on port 4567. For the security conscious, its definitely best to use your own router. Unfortunately, most tech made for lay people is not always the most secure, since convenience is always seen unfortunately as more of a priority.