Router plug overheating and plug blinks red
SLD228

I set up the new router (G3100) the other day and I keep having the wall electrical plug gets extremely warm and the green light on the plug goes to a slow flashing red and it disconnects the wi-fi.... I unplug it let it cool and plug it in again.and it works for a while and then it happens again.  It's the the same plug that I had the old verizon router plugged into for years without any issue..  The router itself is on a open counter with plenary of airflow..  When working it's doing great... just can't have it going out all the time

Anyone have any idea what is causing this???

Thanks

Steve

0 Likes
7 Replies
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the old router a 3100 or something else? 🤔 

0 Likes
SLD228

Hopefully a new one.. just got it two weeks ago!!

0 Likes
SLD228

my bad....no the old one was the G1100....the skinny black one and the new one is the round white one

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you using the G1100 power adapter for G3100? That's a very bad idea. G3100 requires significant more power than G1100 due to the presence of more modules. G3100 needs 12V/3.5A, while G1100 is fine around 12V/2.0A.

0 Likes
SLD228

nope... using the one that came with it... totally different type of plug than the old one

It's weird.. the whole plug doesn't get hot, just where the wire from the router comes into it...where it goes into the outlet is fine

0 Likes
SLD228

imagethis is the plug

This is the plug... I put it out this way for air to get to it and it still overheats....

The old router had the 2.4 & 5.0 as separate channels where this right now is on SON..

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have a multimeter at home you could use to measure the current draw of the router? Of course, measure the DC current on the power adapter's output side for safety. I am also assuming you have basic electrical knowledge.

0 Likes