Slow Internet Speed - DSL modem shows proper connection speeds
wardrp
Enthusiast - Level 1

My internet connection has been very slow all day long starting this morning. Last night it was fine. DSL modem shows it is connected at proper speed of 3.4Mbps download and 0.7Mbps upload, but internet speed tests showed about 0.8Mbps download and 0.1Mbps upload. Tried resetting DSL modem.  Anything else I can do?

0 Likes
Re: Slow Internet Speed - DSL modem shows proper connection speeds
BoardSailor
Enthusiast - Level 3

You're not alone...  two or so years back, when I first got DSL, I had 6 M down load most of the time.  Now it is rarely better than about 3M.  Sometimes it slows to less than 1 M.  I wonder if Verizon is throttling the speed of my connection. I doubt I'm a very heavy user as I rarely watch video.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

wardrp
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you all for your helpful posts.  The problem ended up being my Linksys EA4500 router.  In my home network I use the LinkSys Router for all device connections LAN and wireless. It connects to the Verizon DLINK Modem/router via the WAN port.  When I disconnected the LinkSys Router and connected directly to the Verizon modem, the internet speed went back to normal.  Then as a test I reconnected the LinkSys while still connected directly to the Verizon modem and the speed slowed down to a crawl again.  I left the LinkSys disconnected and powered down for a couple days and everything worked fine with devices connected directly to the Verizon router.  Since I like the features of the LinkSys router I upgraded the firmware (which was quite old) and then reconnected it and reconfigured my system to the way it was before.  Now all devices connect through the Linksys again and no speed problems.  So not really sure what happened, anyone heard of something like this before?

Thanks

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@wardrp wrote:

Thank you all for your helpful posts.  The problem ended up being my Linksys EA4500 router.  In my home network I use the LinkSys Router for all device connections LAN and wireless. It connects to the Verizon DLINK Modem/router via the WAN port.  When I disconnected the LinkSys Router and connected directly to the Verizon modem, the internet speed went back to normal.  Then as a test I reconnected the LinkSys while still connected directly to the Verizon modem and the speed slowed down to a crawl again.  I left the LinkSys disconnected and powered down for a couple days and everything worked fine with devices connected directly to the Verizon router.  Since I like the features of the LinkSys router I upgraded the firmware (which was quite old) and then reconnected it and reconfigured my system to the way it was before.  Now all devices connect through the Linksys again and no speed problems.  So not really sure what happened, anyone heard of something like this before?

Thanks

I have.

Most home routers today come with QoS or "Game Booster" features that limit your speeds in order to allow real time traffic like games, or VoIP to flow through. This also means giving priority at times to some applications, and giving others the back seat. The Linksys might have been doing this. Additionally, it could have just been a weird firmware bug.

0 Likes