Switching back and forth between 2.5 and 5 settings automatically
SLH4
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had FIOS internet installed yesterday and now I have been experiencing weird switching between the 2.5 and 5 signals on the router.  Sometimes my MAC computer completely rejects the 2.5 and will only connect to the 5.  This manifests as my computer rejecting my PW repeatedly.  Then for no apparent reason the computer is find with the 2.5 signal.  What is this and am I doing something wrong?  I turned OFF the "guest" WIFI feauture to see if it would help with this.  Thanks to anyone who can help with this.  

0 Likes
Re: Switching back and forth between 2.5 and 5 settings automatically
jonjones1
Legend

@SLH wrote:

I had FIOS internet installed yesterday and now I have been experiencing weird switching between the 2.5 and 5 signals on the router.  Sometimes my MAC computer completely rejects the 2.5 and will only connect to the 5.  This manifests as my computer rejecting my PW repeatedly.  Then for no apparent reason the computer is find with the 2.5 signal.  What is this and am I doing something wrong?  I turned OFF the "guest" WIFI feauture to see if it would help with this.  Thanks to anyone who can help with this.  

When you connect chose either 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz. And it should not swap back and forth. Many devices cannot use the 5 Ghz. Band because of the wifi radio in the device.

2.4 Ghz. Has much farther coverage, 5 Ghz. Although speedier is not good for distance.

the second thing is the router can just be bad. Have Verizon troubleshoot it and replace  if necessary. 1-800-VERIZON 

SLH4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your response.  This is quite new for me but if I understand you correctly I would need to disengage the 5 ?  It seems that this is the more relieable connection today.  The 2.5 setting intermittently is rejected by my MAC computer - won't even allow an attempt to enter password OR won't recognize the password.  The router is brand new - purchased and installed yesterday with the FIOS service.  

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@SLH wrote:

Thank you for your response.  This is quite new for me but if I understand you correctly I would need to disengage the 5 ?  It seems that this is the more relieable connection today.  The 2.5 setting intermittently is rejected by my MAC computer - won't even allow an attempt to enter password OR won't recognize the password.  The router is brand new - purchased and installed yesterday with the FIOS service.  

What I mean is the devices you use depend on either 2.4 or 5 Ghz for a wifi connection. Your computer should be able to direct connect to the router in which no wifi passwords are required.

i have desktop and laptops that have both direct LAN connections and wireless radios. If direct connected I don't keep the wifi on.

what is happening is your wireless device is losing connections. It finds a better signal hence the back and forth.

also in the routers settings you should have changed the SSID to something unique to your own network, in my house I use a made up name and I went in and changed the password to one I want. Say like I did kingoftheworld54321 or something like that. No one is going to hack it.

then take each wifi device and look for your network changed name. Enter your password and you should be ok.

i use the same wifi password for both bands which works flawless.

Good Luck 

0 Likes