Re: Uploads Interrupted
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1
By the way, I didn't mean copper.  I meant if you could take an ethernet cable and plug your computer into the router and not use wireless to see if that would answer if it is a wireless problem or not.
0 Likes
zooky
Contributor - Level 1

@DzWR wrote:
By the way, I didn't mean copper.  I meant if you could take an ethernet cable and plug your computer into the router and not use wireless to see if that would answer if it is a wireless problem or not.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh (blush).  Just to make sure we're compaing nickels to dimes do you mean "wireless" to be as Mobile Phone? If so, nope, ain't got one of those.

Anyhoo, I just checked and there's a cable running from the router to my ethernet in my pc.  Hope that helps.

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1
Yeah if you have a cable going from your router to your pc then you aren't wireless and the channels won't have any affect.  That is only for a wireless computer (not talking about mobile phone).  That is what the antenna is on the router for.  Are you using a specific program for the uploading?
0 Likes
zooky
Contributor - Level 1

@DzWR wrote:

That is what the antenna is on the router for.  Are you using a specific program for the uploading?

Gee, I thought that thing was for holding pretzels, hehe.

The program that I'm using is Limewire.  I've been giving them dumps from their side.  It all points back to Verizon (router).

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

I just read your post at the limewire forums -- didn't seem too informative except for the suggested program to run a diagnostic, did you try that?  I don't have much experience with limewire, I stopped using that program ages ago.  Just thinking from past experiences...most programs need to either have specific ports opened up or need to be updated.  There is nothing that I know of with FiOS that would cause an interupt in uploads unless you have some sort of packet loss, but then again that would interupt your downloads as well.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
Another idea is that perhaps if you have to many inbound connections it may be filling up your routing tables and cutting off your outbound transfers. I would look at your configuration in limewire and perhaps adjust the number of simultaneous connections. Just another idea. It may be to many connections establised on your peer. There have been many complaints regarding the NAT table in the Actiontec router, and if to many connections are made, the Westell may not be much better. I stopped limewire type stuff because of the digital millemium copywrite act. Still may be legal uses for it, and perhaps the software has changed for other uses. I just don't use it, or know if you can adjust the number of simultaneous connections. 
0 Likes
zooky
Contributor - Level 1

@prisaz wrote:
Another idea is that perhaps if you have to many inbound connections it may be filling up your routing tables and cutting off your outbound transfers. I would look at your configuration in limewire and perhaps adjust the number of simultaneous connections. Just another idea. It may be to many connections establised on your peer. There have been many complaints regarding the NAT table in the Actiontec router, and if to many connections are made, the Westell may not be much better. I stopped limewire type stuff because of the digital millemium copywrite act. Still may be legal uses for it, and perhaps the software has changed for other uses. I just don't use it, or know if you can adjust the number of simultaneous connections. 

I had to water down a lot of the messages, particularly the dump info, because of copyright laws.  I can, and will, adjust the # of connections.  There are ways, although I don't know how effective they are (have asked that over there) about detecting those kinds of files.  Since I stick mainly to the classical musical I'm not all that concerned, though.  BUT, the classical stuff tends to yield pretty large files.  It's not nice to have those clobbered 1/2 way through the d/l.

I ran the program suggested over there.  It only said that the router burped at it from time (it did a a LOT of burping when invoked channel 11 on the router).

0 Likes
zooky
Contributor - Level 1
o.k. - I throttled back (significantly!) the # of connections allowed.  It's been running for several hours now, lots of u/l's, nary a hiccup can be seen.  As far as I'm concerned this solved the problem  Many thanks to all who gave sage advice.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@zooky wrote:
o.k. - I throttled back (significantly!) the # of connections allowed.  It's been running for several hours now, lots of u/l's, nary a hiccup can be seen.  As far as I'm concerned this solved the problem  Many thanks to all who gave sage advice.
Glad to hear that cutting back on the number of connections helped. If you tried a different router, you could possibly open things up. I have a PC based router and it would be interesting to see if it could hit any limits on the routing table. Perhaps I will put limewire on a beta computer and test it. It could be interesting. Don't know how many connections limewire defaults to, but the routing table in most home office type NAT routers are limited at some point.
Message Edited by prisaz on 03-21-2009 01:05 PM
0 Likes