Re: Verizon DSL - Frustrating Performance
wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
Someone on here will read this and get you ga good answer. It good deff be the DSLAM or a something at the CO. Try DSLreports.com. Verizon has a help forum on there to. You just have to register.
0 Likes
dbywaters1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok i'll make a post on DSLReports as well. Hopefully the more people who see the post increases my odds lol.

0 Likes
wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
I just looked for a escalation number for verizon. A member from dslreports gave it to me. If was very helpful. I even had return phone calls that day two of them I believe lol. Good luck let us know how it goes. Check back here in the am maybe a moderator or one of the MVP members will have something posted up here for you....
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@wiggie116 wrote:
 Check back here in the am maybe a moderator or one of the MVP members will have something posted up here for you....

FYI, this forum is generally peer-to-peer.  Everyone except the Verizon moderators are just regular customers.  Some of us have been posting helpful stuff for a while and have earned the special designations you see, but we don't speak for Verizon or have any special knowledge of or access to Verizon's systems.

Sometimes the Verizon moderators will escalate issues when customers haven't gotten resolution through normal channels.  When that happens, the Verizon support team takes over and continues the conversation through private messages

Bottom line, if you want a response from Verizon you need contact them using the phone or online chat.  Posting here or other web forums and hoping you get a response isn't very productive.  Just contact them, they can often be helpful.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@wiggie116 wrote:
I just looked for a escalation number for verizon. A member from dslreports gave it to me. If was very helpful. I even had return phone calls that day two of them I believe lol. Good luck let us know how it goes. Check back here in the am maybe a moderator or one of the MVP members will have something posted up here for you....

Maybe posting that number here would be useful ?????

0 Likes
wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
1. It sounded like dbywaters called Verizon a couple times with no luck. I believe that's why he posted here, just a guess. The thread title kinda explains that.

2. Maybe if my IM wasn't deleted after 30 days I could have??? I'm just a member on dslreports.
0 Likes
dbywaters1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Gotta love verizon support. I woke up to a text message saying that "your verizon repair request has been resolved. thank you for choosing verizon". My ticket was escalated and they confirmed the noise issue which they were supposed to fix. When i looked at the statistics on my modem and the noise is still just as high as it was and my donwload/upload speed has been cut in half. Here are my modem statistics now:

DSL Status

VPI:  0

VCI:  35

DSL Mode Setting:  1

DSL Negotiated Mode:  ADSL2PLUS

Connection Status:

Speed (down/up):  1787 / 447 Kbps

ATM QoS class:  UBR

Near End CRC Errors :  0/0

Far End CRC Errors :  0/0

Near End CRC(Within last 30 mins) : 0/0

Far End CRC(Within last 30 mins) :  0/0

Near End RS FEC :  0/0

Far End RS FEC :  0/0

Near End FEC(Within last 30 mins) :  0/0

Far End FEC(Within last 30 mins) :  0/0

Discarded Packets(Within last 30 mins): 0

SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream): 0/29

Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream):  92/24

Either verizon support is comletely incompetent or they really don't care that much to fix it. I would discourage anyone who is considering getting verizon and definitely suggest Comcast over verizon. 

I did notice that they switched the DSL Negotiated mode from G.DMT to ADSL2Plus. Not sure how much of a difference that makes when my speeds are so slow. Plus i'm not getting all the FEC errors like before, which is good i suppose.

I'm aware that lowering the connection speed could improve the SNR margin, but shouldn't i see those results in my dsl statistics? Or am i wrong?

**EDIT**

Just called verizon again and they're going to send a replacement modem. They're saying that they did not see any issues with noise on the line this time and a defective modem is the culprit. Hopefully they're right and this actually fixes the issue.

albrst1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I hope the new modem works for your service.  I swear our service is worth the "top of the line Verizon modem".  I have decided we will be changing to a local company that offers wireless internet.  I have spent 5 months trying to get my internet running at a semi-decent speed.  We can't get FIOS here.  This week I went 2 days without any internet while they fixed equipment on their end.  I was promised (the technician said "I guarantee this will fix everything.") that my service would be faster, etc...  and guess what.  It's as bad as ever.  If we have more than one device online, none load or work.  I just did a speed test on my DSL and these are the results:

Download speed - 1.31 mbps

Uplaod Speed - .27 mbps

This is ridiculous.  There is another provider here who has, yes more expensive plans, but they offer up to 15 mbps download speed.  Surely I will see a difference with that!  At this point, I would rather pay a lot more and have internet I can rely on than this.  

wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
How far are you from your DSL source/CO? This link gave me a good idea of what my distance and quality would be.

http://www.naschenweng.info/2008/10/16/adsl-significance-of-snr-and-attenuation/

I hope the new modem fixes the issue, adsl+2 means you can receive higher sync on a long line. Hopefully you can get back to 3360. Good luck
0 Likes