Very Disappointed with service
jtee623
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had DSL with Verizon since January, and nothing but problems.  Most recently when ever the phone rings we loose the internet.  The static on the line makes calls unable to comprehend.  I called tech support for over a week before I could get a tech out here to look at it.  When he did finally show up after 2 missed appointments he was here abot 5 minutes.  Went online to a site to check things and said "everythings fine".  Wish I was here when he was, but it was my wife.  Everything is not fine.  He checked nothing in my eyes.  Everything was fine because the phone didn't ring while he was here.  Enough ranting.

Verizon ran the line in January of this year.  Installed a Pots filter in the basement.  Using a Westell 7500 modem.  Hiss is unbearable.  One phone line sharing DSL and Phone service.  Wireless network.  Tried everything I can think of.  Frenquencies changed.  Different phone.  Any idea's out there?

Transciever stats:

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h Vendor ID Code 4D54 Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt Data Path INTERLEAVED   Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 5888 864 Margin (dB) 22.4 11.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 37.0 19.0 Transmit Power (dBm) 19.7 11.9

Re: Very Disappointed with service
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Those statistics believe it or not are actually fine. The Transmit power is a bit high on the downstream for my tastes, but there is nothing wrong with that. It may be the cause of the hissing you're getting though. Anyways, I'm not doubting what Verizon had installed there, but the POTS spliter you have does have two cables coming out of it; one going to the jack the DSL modem plugs into, and one going to the phone lines in your home, correct? Do you have any phones plugged into the unfiltered "DSL" portion of the installed splitter? In addition, do you have an alarm system somewhere between your NID and the xDSL/POTS Splitter?

If you wish to upload a picture or two, that would be nice to see the setup there a little more. Describing how things are wired starting from the NID would also help.

As for the static, is it intermittent or is it always there, along with what I believe is constant hissing? Do both the static and hissing disappear within a few seconds of shutting off your DSL modem?

jtee623
Enthusiast - Level 3

Only one phone jack.  Thats the way Verizon set in up.  They used a line splitter at the jack with a filter on the phone line.  I would have preferred if they ran a second line for the modem only but they did not.

mojorisen
Enthusiast - Level 1

Check the box where the incoming line from the phone company ends and your connections start.  This is typically the box that allows you to test the line to see if you have dial tone before it jumps to the wall plugs in your house.  Should be the point your POTS splitter is connected to (getting signal from ) If the box is older from the 80's or early 90's there might be a little black circuit in it that is interupting the service.  It needs to be removed.  I had the same issue and after years of having the issue and just giving up, a telephone tech came out and fixed it where the Earthlink techs knew nothing about it.

unhappier1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am having a similar experience right now. My wireless laptop connection is dropping almost everyday since I "upgraded" to high speed internet. among a host of other issues, I am VERY dissappointed too.

Were you ever able to fix it, or did you find another carrier?

jtee623
Enthusiast - Level 3

No it is still not fixed.  supposedly a tech is coming Monday.  I will beleive it when I actually see him there.  Was told a couple of time someone would be out and they no showed.

Will check the outside box. 

jtee623
Enthusiast - Level 3

Figured I would give you an update.  First I tried to check the NID but there was not one.  The tech came today and told me the outside line from the pole was spliced and frayed.  Why the tech that was here three weeks ago couldn't see that is beyond me.  Could be because he never climbed the pole to look.

The installer who orginally did the install put in a Pots splitter but no NID.  I personally don't know it that more harm than good, but the installer today got rid on it and ran the line directly to the NID.  I do not need the filter on the phone line anymore and the phone line is clearer than it has ever been, and no disconnections from DSL when we get a call.

Over all I am satified with what the tech did today.  Courteous, and answered every question I had in a professional manner.  The only problem I have is why it took a month for Verizon to actually look at the line coming into the house, and they poor phone support.