Re: Very slow internet
cigarmac
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think I spoke too soon. On Friday 3/9 I actually had over 600 kbps upload but by Saturday 3/10 at 11:45 am my speed is back to 302 upload and 129 download, plus I had to reset the Gateway  twice since I had no internet signal. This is below what I am paying for. Verizon please fix. Thank you.

0 Likes
cigarmac
Enthusiast - Level 2

At 11:45 am on 3/10/2012 my Download speed went back to 302 kbps and at 9:30 pm it was 388 so I guess nothing is fixed. I also had to reboot several times to keep internet on.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unless your downstream transmit power is ACTUALLY 0.0, your modem is misreporting that statistic. To get that would require a Verizon technician with enough access to the network to pull your line stats from the line card itself back at the DSLAM.

Even when your line was claimed to be "Fixed," your downstream margin is still much too low for your distance. That should be 20+dB for the amount of distance you are out! Something's still broken and needs fixing.

I don't see anything in the thread where you have performed the NID test to see if your home's wiring might be playing games. We need to do this now that you have obtained your statistics. Locate your NID for your Telephone service. This is often a Grey box if it's newer located on the side of your home near youe electrical meter or breaker panel if indoors. If you have an extended driveway, this box may be out on an extension pole within reach. Older NIDs are often not grey boxes, but are simply wires going into pegs held down by bolts. See this FAQ: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

Once you find your NID, take your modem and preferably a laptop/netbook/Wireless mobile device capable of viewing the modem's Transceiver Statistics page and boot your modem up while it is directly connected to the NID via the test jack. If you have an older NID, you will want to disconnect the wiring going to your home to isolate the issue down to Verizon or your home (take note of how things are connected!). Once there, copy and paste the new statistics or take a note of what they all are, and post them up here for us to see.

0 Likes
cigarmac
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, I did the NID test. I have a grey box in my basement so I disconnected the plug to my phone system, directly connected the phone plug from the Gateway to the place in the box and first did a Verizon check your speed test. I got 351 kbps Download and 133 kbps Upload at 2:30 pm 3/12. I did it again to be sure a couple of minutes later and got 298 kbps Download and 135 kbps Upload. I then saved the the Transceiver statistics which are as follows:

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL2
Data PathFAST

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)860154
Margin (dB)14.043.9
Line Attenuation (dB)37.019.4
Transmit Power (dBm)0.012.8

So, what do you think? (PS Thanks for the help. Cigarmac)

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Pretty sure we've got two issues here.

1: Even though stats improved while connecting to your NID, the downstream still seems to be noisy. The margin on that should be higher for the distance, but it is hard to tell how strong of a signal is coming in without seeing the Transmit power. I think we're going to need someone in Verizon to get the stats directly from the DSLAM itself to determine how well the line is running. If someone could do that so we can see them here, that'd be awesome.

Either way, I'd like to see if you can get a tech sent out to identify any source of noise between your home and the DSLAM. You should be able to get around 7Mbps (maybe 10Mbps/1Mbps!) if the line can be cleaned up/fixed enough and you're not coming out of a remote where speeds are limited to 3Mbps/768kbps.

2: We might have a possible case of Juniperitus here. If your speeds consistently test at 300-500kbps during any time of the day and nothing else is using the connection, it's a pretty solid diagnosis at this point. We would have to find a way to get you off a Juniper if there is a Redback router in Verizon's CO still available (they're being retired, a shame).

0 Likes