Re: Westell 6100 hangs, reboots when phone rings or when my wife joins the wireless network
zig29
Enthusiast - Level 3

@dslr595148 wrote:

Margin (dB) - Signal to noise margin. 6 is pretty bad possibly unusable at times, 20 is very good. You normally want 12dB or better IIRC from back in my DSL days. The higher the number, the better to a point.

Line Attenuation - Measure the amount the signal has degraded. Below 20dB is excellent, above 50 is poor, fill in the dots for anything in between.

Update - Called Verizon support about this after even modem swaps failedpreviously -- and recently the technician moved some wires around in the CO thinking it might help. 

I was at a margin of about 24 downstream and 10 upstream until then; now these are 31 and 16 respectively.  Line attenuation remains about the same (slightly lower upstream - was 17 and 9, now 17 and 7).   So the quality of the connection and the line appears to be improved now. 

So far so good, as neither ringing telephones nor my wife joining the wireless network have caused a loss of connection (though it's not been long yet).  Hopefully that puts this one to bed for good; should have a better feel for it in a few days.  Hopefully I can mark this as "solved" soon.