Re: When will Verizon deploy 802.11n capable routers?
sryu
Enthusiast - Level 2

Justin,

If you prefer learning the same from a verizon agent, be my guest...! Sorry about not bothering to format it, but after wasting an hour already, didn't quite feel like doing the extra work, even for the sake of fellow sufferers...;-)

0 Likes
10nisman94
Contributor - Level 1

The real issue isn't that Verizon won't "provide" a gigabit switch or Wireless N  to customers, it's that it can't be found for sale. There is no way to buy a REV G router. There were a few on ebay, but that was Spring 2010, none have shown up since. I'd happily pay $100+ for the REV G router just for the improved hardware, but I don't have that option.

Justin46
Legend

@sryu wrote:

Justin,

If you prefer learning the same from a verizon agent, be my guest...! Sorry about not bothering to format it, but after wasting an hour already, didn't quite feel like doing the extra work, even for the sake of fellow sufferers...;-)

Why would I (or you) want to chat with or call a Verizon agent? For anything other than broken hardware or a service failure.....

I have had FiOS TV, internet, and phone for almost six years. I have never needed to use the Chat function. The only times I have called Verizon for anything in the last year or two, maybe three years, is when one of the two new HD STBs that I ordered via the webseveral months ago to replace two old 2500s would not activate, it was broken. So I called, Verizon sent a replacement, it would not activate either, again broken, so I called again. This time Verizon scheduled a tech visit, all got fixed, and I was happy.

You could have gotten the answer to your question much more easily and with less frustration by searching here at the Verizon forums, or on other forums, been asked many times. But of course you can do things however you want....

I made the suggestion because you took the time to post, and I think, if you actually want someone to read what you post, you need to make it as easy and informative as you can. That is your responsibility, and if you don't care, that is fine. I was just making a suggestion....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
sryu
Enthusiast - Level 2

In the past, and with other companies, I generally had more success and less stressful experience with the chat-based help than talking on the phone, which more often than not found myself grappling with hard-to-understand speech on the other end. That was the reason I tried the chat to begin with. 

Having failed to get a satisfactory outcome from this particular incident, (I found the whole session fruitless and also the abrupt termination at the end very rude on Verizon's part) and having found this forum which provided more useful information, I thought that my posting would give something useful for those who will likely go down the similar path. 

Verizon should also take note that 

1. there is serious demand for up-to-date equipment for non-business users

2. all customer service encounters should end with proper closure.

====

Going back to the actual topic of this thread: 

I am sad to report that from my encounter with verizon agent(s), it seems likely a non-bussiness user unwilling to pay 150$ per month, will have to wait. I will appreciate if any non-business FiOS customer let me know whether he either receives an 802-11n unit or figures out whether my speed problem is of some other nature.

Justin46
Legend

@sryu wrote:

Going back to the actual topic of this thread: 

I am sad to report that from my encounter with verizon agent(s), it seems likely a non-bussiness user unwilling to pay 150$ per month, will have to wait. I will appreciate if any non-business FiOS customer let me know whether he either receives an 802-11n unit or figures out whether my speed problem is of some other nature.

Ahhhhhhh, you actually have a speed problem! Now we are getting somewhere Smiley Very Happy

I am absolutely not going to wait through that unformatted stuff you posted, and I doubt many others will either, but maybe they will.......

So, would you care to describe, in a reasonably short, formatted, and informative post, what your issue is or issues are? For example, tell us what router you currently have, what speed you think you should be getting, what speeds you are getting, how measured, what speed tests, wired or wireless or both, has worked ok in the past and doesn't now or never worked, kind of PC and operating system you are using, browser you are using, including version, etc, etc, etc.

In other words, give us some info so maybe someone here can in fact help. There are lots of good, experienced, knowledgeable people here, very willing to help, give them a chance.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

I don't think a 'non-business user' has to wait at all.  He simply needs to go to Microcenter and buy his own router.  Or Newegg.com.

0 Likes
sryu
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Justin wrote:

So, would you care to describe, in a reasonably short, formatted, and informative post, what your issue is or issues are? For example, tell us what router you currently have, what speed you think you should be getting, what speeds you are getting, how measured, what speed tests, wired or wireless or both, has worked ok in the past and doesn't now or never worked, kind of PC and operating system you are using, browser you are using, including version, etc, etc, etc.

In other words, give us some info so maybe someone here can in fact help. There are lots of good, experienced, knowledgeable people here, very willing to help, give them a chance.

I am using Mac (both Air and Desktop) either Lion or Snow Leopard, mainly Safari v.5.1. When the speed is bad, it doesn't matter whether it's Safari or Chrome or FireFox. What matters, quite often, is whether  the door is closed or not in my study. (the room is on 3rd floor; the router in 2nd floor) When my VTech wireless phone is in use, I seem to have correlated negative effect too although I cannot say it is 100%.   

As for the speed test, I use speedtest.net website. On a good day, I get 5 Mbps or so; on a day like this (btw, it was raining on and off, if that matters) I got  barely 1.5-2 Mbps. My service is supposed to give me 25 MBps. The router is more or less in pristine setting; no port forwarding no internet service block is on. About 4 machines are typically using internet at a time. No machines is doing anything funny to hog the connection as far as I know.

The router: firmware version:4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4 (seems up to date)model: MI424-WRHardware version C
This afternoon, I managed to change it from 802-11b only to b/g, but the speed impact was none. I am considering getting the latest apple extreme airport unit with 2TB backup for both -n capability and enhanced signal strength, and connect it to the verizon unit via ethernet cable. Would it improve the speed?

But is it justifiable that the customer has to spend additional money/effort like this just to achieve their advertized speed? Granted, the nature of the problem may be interferences, distance-issues, etc which is extrinsic to the FiOS-delivery aspect, but if the new unit will resolve it, I think they should provide the solution, not me....

Justin46
Legend

@sryu wrote:
I am using Mac (both Air and Desktop) either Lion or Snow Leopard, mainly Safari v.5.1. When the speed is bad, it doesn't matter whether it's Safari or Chrome or FireFox. What matters, quite often, is whether  the door is closed or not in my study. (the room is on 3rd floor; the router in 2nd floor) When my VTech wireless phone is in use, I seem to have correlated negative effect too although I cannot say it is 100%.   

As for the speed test, I use speedtest.net website. On a good day, I get 5 Mbps or so; on a day like this (btw, it was raining on and off, if that matters) I got  barely 1.5-2 Mbps. My service is supposed to give me 25 MBps. The router is more or less in pristine setting; no port forwarding no internet service block is on. About 4 machines are typically using internet at a time. No machines is doing anything funny to hog the connection as far as I know.

The router: firmware version:4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4 (seems up to date)model: MI424-WRHardware version C
This afternoon, I managed to change it from 802-11b only to b/g, but the speed impact was none. I am considering getting the latest apple extreme airport unit with 2TB backup for both -n capability and enhanced signal strength, and connect it to the verizon unit via ethernet cable. Would it improve the speed?

But is it justifiable that the customer has to spend additional money/effort like this just to achieve their advertized speed? Granted, the nature of the problem may be interferences, distance-issues, etc which is extrinsic to the FiOS-delivery aspect, but if the new unit will resolve it, I think they should provide the solution, not me....

OK, now we are talking!!!!

I will jump in with a few thoughts, and I am sure others will too.

1) Based on your comments, it appears that all of the computers are wireless, is this correct? Have you tried a wired connection, and if so, what performance do you get there? I am just trying to get a better understanding of your environment. Wired will ALWAYS provide better performance than wireless.

2) Wireless performance very definitely is affected by the signal strength at the computer. Going through too many walls or floors or doors, mirrors, etc, will all diminish the signal strength. So do whatever you can to minimize that.

3) Antenna orientation can sometimes have a big effect. By that I mean, is the antenna on the router set to a vertical or horizontal position, and is the antenna on the computer set the same way. If you cannot adjust the antenna on the computer, try moving the antenna on the router and see if it makes any difference.

4) Re; the cordless phone use. Yes, that most certainly can interfere if it is a 2.4 GHz model. The Actiontec routers default to using any channel available, and frequently it will pick a channel that a cordless phone is using. The usual "fix" for this is to set the Actiontec to use a specific channel. The three channels to try are 1, 6, and 11, in no particular order. Try one, if it helps when the phone is off hook, then great. If it doesn't try another channel. Apparently you already know how to log into the router, based on your comment of changing from b only to b/g. In my house, with a 2.4 GHZ cordless phone, channel 1 works best. YMMV.

5) I do not have any Apple machines, and have no experience with them. But I have seen posts, I think here on the Verizon Forums but for sure on others, that sometimes Apple users have trouble getting acceptable wireless performancef with FiOS. I believe there is info at the Apple website on this, I suggest you take a look there.

6) Switching from b to b/g probably won't help at all. If all of your computers support it, you should switch to g only. That generally does help.

7) Do you have FiOS TV service also? If so you really need to keep a Verizon router in the network so you will get updated program Guide data, access to the widgets and VOD. Whether you do or don't, you can buy and install an n router. Without TV, you really don't have any concerns, other than breaking the lease on your IP address before switching. If you do have TV you can still do it, you just need to be careful how you do it so that the TV, there are posts here and at other forums that will help you set the network up.

😎 If you have FiOS TV and have a TV connection in the room with the computer, an option is to use the built-in MOCA service in the router to provide a wired connection in the room with the computer via the coax. No point pursuing this further unless you have FiOS TV.

OK, hopefully that is a start. Take a look, try some of the stuff, and let us know what if any improvements you get.

Keller, TX 76248

sryu
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Justin wrote:

4) Re; the cordless phone use. Yes, that most certainly can interfere if it is a 2.4 GHz model. The Actiontec routers default to using any channel available, and frequently it will pick a channel that a cordless phone is using. The usual "fix" for this is to set the Actiontec to use a specific channel. The three channels to try are 1, 6, and 11, in no particular order. Try one, if it helps when the phone is off hook, then great. If it doesn't try another channel. Apparently you already know how to log into the router, based on your comment of changing from b only to b/g. In my house, with a 2.4 GHZ cordless phone, channel 1 works best. YMMV.

I changed to channel 11 specifically, and I seem to have much better speed for today (it still tops around 5.3 Mbps, but dramatically better than most of today)

I will try some of your other suggestions later. The cable option is rather difficult, because of the house structure. I do have FiOS TV, but hardly ever watch anymore. As a matter of fact, I had tried to cancel the TV part twice already, spent more time than my lifespan warrants with the verizon, but they always convinced me keeping it is the most economical way! But that is another issue.... 

Anyway, so I am quite willing to sacrifice the TV part, if having an -n router will dramatically improve. I guess I will try it one of these days, and will report back...

Thanks for the detailed help. 

Justin46
Legend

@sryu wrote:

I changed to channel 11 specifically, and I seem to have much better speed for today (it still tops around 5.3 Mbps, but dramatically better than most of today)

I will try some of your other suggestions later. The cable option is rather difficult, because of the house structure. I do have FiOS TV, but hardly ever watch anymore. As a matter of fact, I had tried to cancel the TV part twice already, spent more time than my lifespan warrants with the verizon, but they always convinced me keeping it is the most economical way! But that is another issue.... 

Anyway, so I am quite willing to sacrifice the TV part, if having an -n router will dramatically improve. I guess I will try it one of these days, and will report back...

Thanks for the detailed help. 

OK, maybe a little bit of progress. You might try the other channels, one might just be way better than the others.

If at all possible use a wired connection and do the speed test. That will give you the baseline, the best you are going to get with the current configuration. If it is pretty close to the expected top speed, then you can focus on the wireless. If it isn't there are probably other issues that need to be addressed first, and you can buy the biggest baddest router in the universe and it almost certainly ain't gonna help.... Smiley Very Happy

As to the TV thing, if there is a TV coax connection in any of the rooms where the computers are, whether or not there are actually TVs there, you can if you wish get an adapter that will allow you to split the internet signal off of the coax to cat 5 or 6 cable which can be connected directly to the computer so you have a true wired connection. Verizon does not supply those, but they can be bought.

As I said earlier, wired will ALWAYS be better than wireless, I enourage you to explore all options.

Keller, TX 76248