Where can I download the latest MI424WR Rev I firmware to my computer to update my router?
dhdurgee
Newbie

I found out last week that my MI424WR Rev D was no longer supported by Verizon, so I obtained a Rev I to replace it.  I am in the process of configuring it prior to replacing my Rev D with it.  I would like to download the latest Rev I firmware to my computer so that I can update the Rev I before I put it online in place of the Rev D.  Where is a link to download Verizon's latest firmware for the MI424WR Rev I so that I can do so?

Dave

0 Likes
13 Replies
glugglug73
Newbie

I have 2 of these on 01.04.00.11 and 1 on 02.02.00.16, all used as bridges.

If I could flash the new one back to 1.04 or earlier I would. 

All that happens with each revision is they remove more options.  For example, using it as a bridge without the ability for it to grab a DHCP address from the LAN side is disturbing.  And 10 years ago with Rev F, there were like 20x more menu options, including the ability to select from a menu of 5-6 MoCA channels are used for both LAN and WAN, instead of being locked into 1100 Mhz.

 

0 Likes
ZTRNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is correct, usually any service provider supplied router (as with cell phones) will get their firmware updates directly from the provider.  Cable Modems/Gateways (3rd party or not) are the same way.

Eddie-XR7
Newbie

Here’s something that might be of interest.

http://opensource.actiontec.com/mi424wri.html

0 Likes
DrBB011
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon no longer supports the MI424WR Rev. I router. The most recent firmware version is 40.21.24, which is the version that came installed when I purchased it at clearance several years ago.

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you want to check what you have:

Log In to your Router

Click on System Monitoring

On Router Status Screen you will find

Firmware Version plus other info that might be of interest to you. 

PS from Actiontec Admin

Unfortunately the contract that we have with Verizon does not allow us to post any firmware for the devices that we have manufactured for them. They do this so that they know every device on their network has the correct firmware. So we would have to direct you back to Verizon to obtain the firmware upgrade.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unless they have changed things, the routers have an address pointed to in their advanced features.  If you go to that address, with a web browser it will give you a copy of the firmware which you can download.  You can then point to that download and  have your router install it.

jonjones1
Legend

@tns2 wrote:

Unless they have changed things, the routers have an address pointed to in their advanced features.  If you go to that address, with a web browser it will give you a copy of the firmware which you can download.  You can then point to that download and  have your router install it.


Normal everyday store bought routers like Asus or Netgear or Belken have a firmware update section. Not so with Quantum routers and very doubtful with actiontec routers which both are used by Fios.

if you don’t want to wait for Verizon to push them out, then a personal owned router as mentioned above us your only regress.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

As said the actiontec's had such a section and it included a pointer to a site with the downloads.  They weren't using a push but a timer based PULL.

I do know that maybe 6 months after Frontier took over my area (FL), the update page changed and no longer had a website listed.  The Frontier Router's page still still alows you to point to downloaded copy.

jonjones1
Legend

@tns2 wrote:

As said the actiontec's had such a section and it included a pointer to a site with the downloads.  They weren't using a push but a timer based PULL.

I do know that maybe 6 months after Frontier took over my area (FL), the update page changed and no longer had a website listed.  The Frontier Router's page still still alows you to point to downloaded copy.


I noted that at DSLReports. Many said it was bust. It just reverted back to the previous firmware.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Dave_D wrote:

I found out last week that my MI424WR Rev D was no longer supported by Verizon, so I obtained a Rev I to replace it.  I am in the process of configuring it prior to replacing my Rev D with it.  I would like to download the latest Rev I firmware to my computer so that I can update the Rev I before I put it online in place of the Rev D.  Where is a link to download Verizon's latest firmware for the MI424WR Rev I so that I can do so?

Dave


You cannot.

if and when a firmware update is necessary Verizon pushes them out.

dhdurgee
Newbie

I installed my Rev I router in place of my Rev D unit on Saturday.  At the point I installed it 40.21.18 was the firmware level.  Sometime since then it has been updated to 40.21.24 firmware, so it does appear that Verizon noticed and pushed me the new level.

Hopefully Verizon is keeping an eye on security issues for its routers and will update them as needed.  I am glad to be on current firmware at this point.  I had been unaware that the Rev D had been dropped from support at some point prior to the VPNFilter malware scare which lead me to contact Verizon.

Dave

0 Likes
Ubtchanova1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Unfortunately, in my experience over the years with Verizon, pushing out updates to customers - FW or otherwise - has been that it is not a priority with them. Smiley Sad

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Ubtchanova wrote:

Unfortunately, in my experience over the years with Verizon, pushing out updates to customers - FW or otherwise - has been that it is not a priority with them. Smiley Sad


Yes that was something to contemplate but the customers cannot update without them. Catch 22 

0 Likes