Why use VISS @ $72/year
BobWerner
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can someone explain to me why I would want to use VISS that Verizon supplies @ $72/year when:

1) I switched from Time Warner and their virus suite, CA, was FREE

2) I can buy COTS software cheaper for the same length of time ($40, 50 or even 60/year)

3) There are several if not a plethora of free AV programs out there including one from the almighty Gates.

I'd like to get a honest answer. Not some computer generated "you get what you pay for."

Re: Why use VISS @ $72/year
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

...because people like the idea of having all of their eggs in one basket for some reason.

*I* don't use VISS, because all things considered there are free alternatives with better support/effectiveness. Thinking that you are going to get better support for the product because you're getting it from Verizon is silly, since they'll just transfer you to the main company anyway, most of the time to a wrong number.

To each their own, I suppose...

fibertechguru
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon has some free tools (including McAfee Scan Plus) at www.verizon.com/freetools

Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you're not very savvy with computers, if you like having free over the phone support, if you like having one place to call instead of three or four, if you like the convenience of just having it thrown on the bill, then you might Like Verizon's Mcafee product. 

I am a do it yourself'er and so I benifit from none of those things.  if I get a virus I fix it on my own.  IF you're not a do it yourselfer and you get a virus, and you have a free antivirus product, then it's unusual for you to get free over the phone support for it.  They tell you to go to the forums, and if you're lucky enough to get clear instructions or lucky enough to even get online, and lucky enough to even be able to follow advanced instructions - then that might work for you. 

Not everyone is the same, not everyone's needs are the same.  

BobWerner
Enthusiast - Level 2

To say I'm computer savvy is an understatement. I've been doing computer repair/tech support/customer service since 1984. In the "real world" I've been doing it since 1995. My first computer was a Comodedoor 64. I've built computers from scratch. I don't mind that Verizon offers a viri package. What I do mind is the idea that they charge for it while their largest competitor doesn't.

pa28pilot
Enthusiast - Level 3

I used to work at the ISP whose network formed the core of what is now VZ's network, and more recently at one of the largest AV software companies. It's important for an ISP to have a coherent set of value added services, and in the case of non-core functions, that's all a build-or-buy decision. It's easier for many customers to be able to do "one-stop shopping."

I have no idea why they cut the deal they did, as it's not exactly competitive with their cable competitors, who provide basic AV suites for free. 

For people on FIOS who want a freemium AV option, I'm partial to Immunet. I worked with two of the founders at another company and they're extremely competent. The product is interesting because the free version complements whatever host-based anti-virus you're using with a network-based and very lightweight "cloud" AV option. The upside to that is that you're likely to get updated coverage even more quickly than with the 10-minute pulse updates that the regular AV products use. 

If you don't want to run two products, you can activate it for 3 machines and turn on classic host-based AV. 

(Disclaimer: I don't have any financial interest, I'm just a happy customer and colleague of the Immunet folks)

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pa28pilot wrote:

I used to work at the ISP whose network formed the core of what is now VZ's network, and more recently at one of the largest AV software companies. It's important for an ISP to have a coherent set of value added services, and in the case of non-core functions, that's all a build-or-buy decision. It's easier for many customers to be able to do "one-stop shopping."

I have no idea why they cut the deal they did, as it's not exactly competitive with their cable competitors, who provide basic AV suites for free. 

For people on FIOS who want a freemium AV option, I'm partial to Immunet. I worked with two of the founders at another company and they're extremely competent. The product is interesting because the free version complements whatever host-based anti-virus you're using with a network-based and very lightweight "cloud" AV option. The upside to that is that you're likely to get updated coverage even more quickly than with the 10-minute pulse updates that the regular AV products use. 

If you don't want to run two products, you can activate it for 3 machines and turn on classic host-based AV. 

(Disclaimer: I don't have any financial interest, I'm just a happy customer and colleague of the Immunet folks)

Immunet's product sounds almost the same as Panda's Cloud AV software which is also free, but can be paid for. I'm actually a fan of Avast! myself. Not a huge fan of McAfee, but I'm definitely not a fan of the CA Security Suites that a few other ISPs tend to offer. Also, I'm taking a guess you also dealt with UUNet/MCI way back when as well. Great companies for what they offered back then.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

I like Comodo   it works wel enough, but for pay software, I wait for a sweet rebate deal and get either kaspersky or NOD32

0 Likes
oceanexpress1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got the warning message that McAfee will not download the latest virus signatures without first paying for an upgrade.  I'm I right in saying that this was once included in the FIOS package and now they are requiring users to pay for Macafee?  If this is the case... I am un-installing.  

BobWerner
Enthusiast - Level 2

As an aside, I did get a copy of Trend for $40/year from Best Buy's website. Trend is one of the higher rated COTS AV software packages out there. I'm definately not a fan of one stop shopping. I'll go across streets to save $1. I just couldn't figure out how a company that bills itself to be "better/cheaper" then TW and charges for their AV product.

I noticed that VZ hasn't responded. Either they are ignoring these forums or they are chosing not to respond.