XP Pro / Outlook 2000 won't send optonline.net account emails
webbrewers
Enthusiast - Level 2

This only affects the XP Pro machine-another with XP Home sends the same optonline.net account using the same settings fine, so I have to believe it's something in the group policy settings of XP Pro but have no idea what.

Anyone have any idea?

Re: XP Pro / Outlook 2000 won't send optonline.net account emails
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Ummmm....you're sending Cablevision/optonline.net email while connected to FiOS? 

My guess is you need to change the settings in Outlook on the XP Pro machine so that the outoing port is 587 with authentication.  Try that and see if it works.

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

To the OP

The previous poster is correct.  You must enable "my server requires authentication" and you must change the port number to be 587.  I just tested this and it indeed works using the above settings.

Jim

0 Likes
webbrewers
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the answers but that's how I set it up. As I said it works fine on the XP Home machine but not the XP Pro one. The only other factor is the XP Home box is hardwired, the XP Pro is wireless.  Verizon cs accessed it remotely and agreed it was set up correctly but couldn't explain the failure. It receives but won't send, and throws this error:

Recipient rejected by the server.............

no matter which address I use.

I'm guessing it's something to do with the more complex security configuration  XP Pro uses causing a conflict with Verizon's smtp server. We have had issues with this installation of Outlook, but I reinstalled it and it made no difference. 

I'm hoping someone else has come across this and been able to solve it.  

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

My tests were with xp Pro except I used Outlook express

Can you try using outlook express for testing?  Make sure your username (email@optonline.net) is defined and your password is correct.  Make sure  the outgoing settings are set to use the same credentials as the incoming server.

Are you able to receive email?  Don't use SSL, it will cause the error.  You just want to use authentication.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Also, how about temporarily connecting the XP Pro machine via hardwire?   Is that possible, and does the problem persist when hardwired?   (Just trying to eliminate wifi being part of the problem.)

webbrewers
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll check out all the suggestions.

Don't have OL Express (is it even available anymore?)

Would have to move the box to hardwire it-may try that tomorrow.

Everything else looks ok.

I was thinking it was XP Pro related because I remember having a tough time configuring file sharing to work between XP Home and XP Pro, and that turned out to be caused by a group policy security setting.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

We dumped our optonline email shortly after we got FiOS.  But for the short time we still used a couple of OOL accounst via FiOS it definitely did work on an XP Pro SP3 machine, and that was with Outlook 2003.

FWIW.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

have you thought about using the webmail from OOL?  I got rid of OOL over 5 years ago (so glad I did) but my email account still works.

On a side note, you can always use the verizon outgoing mail server to send mail.

Jim

0 Likes
webbrewers
Enthusiast - Level 2

We can still access it through the web front end, but it's the wife's address and she's used to seeing it in Outlook..........

As for using the outgoing Verizon server, I believe you have to in Outlook so that's how we have it set. The OOL server didn't work at all for sending.

0 Likes