Re: fios wireless confusion. 2 independent questions.
oncdoc
Enthusiast - Level 2

would it be possible to ditch the verizon router all together?

i do not have fios tv

I wanna get this one :

TL-WR1043ND 300Mbps Ultimate Wireless N Gigabit Router "Wireless N speed up to 300Mbps makes it ideal for bandwidth consuming or interruption sensitive applications like video streaming, online gaming and VoIP"

granted on a 10mbps plan (cheapest) but this could only help right?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@oncdoc wrote:

would it be possible to ditch the verizon router all together?

i do not have fios tv

I wanna get this one :

TL-WR1043ND 300Mbps Ultimate Wireless N Gigabit Router "Wireless N speed up to 300Mbps makes it ideal for bandwidth consuming or interruption sensitive applications like video streaming, online gaming and VoIP"

granted on a 10mbps plan (cheapest) but this could only help right?

As you don't have fios tv, yes you could ditch the verizon router completely.

To do this though you need to have your ont provisioned for ethernet connection rather than coax.  If it is not already provisioned for ethernet you will have to contact Verizon to get them to change the provisioning.

Personally I think the dlink dir-655 is a far better router tan the TP-Link one and you can get them for roughly the same price - Meritline.com was selling them for $77 last week with free shipping.

oncdoc
Enthusiast - Level 2

thank you for all this.

trying this tonight.

I turned off the wifi on antec.

got into the belkin pre n router.

but when i go to make a static address 192.168.1.254 --  and then 255.255.255.0

i reboot the router. BUT then it is unprotected. non-secure. Now I cant log back into it...

0 Likes
oncdoc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Login to your ActionTec router and turn OFF the wireless.  Login in to your new router and assign it a static IP address on the 192.168.1.x network (I recommend 192.168.1.254).  Turn OFF the DHCP server

why is a static ip important?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@oncdoc wrote:

Login to your ActionTec router and turn OFF the wireless.  Login in to your new router and assign it a static IP address on the 192.168.1.x network (I recommend 192.168.1.254).  Turn OFF the DHCP server

why is a static ip important?

You set the address as static so that you know what it is and can log into it easily if you want to make any other configuration changes.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Additionally on routers, you typically can't make their LAN interface acquire a DHCP address (since they are usually also the server for a network).    So you have to assign it some address.   Since the default is usually 192.168.1.1, we've been recommending a different address so as to avoid conflicting with the other router on the network.

oncdoc
Enthusiast - Level 2

why not keep verizon router wifi and the new one? they are both protected.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can.  Just make sure:

1. They are using different SSID's

-or-  (better)

1. They are both using the same SSID

2. They are both using the same security type (WPA/WPA2 TSKIP/AES, etc.) and the same KEY

3. They are on two different channels (Verizon's default looks for a channel, you need to change this to manually pick one)

For channels in the U.S. the only three available channels which do not overlap one another are 1, 6, and 11.   With only two devices, just make sure whatever channels you select that they are at least 5 channels apart to avoid interference with one another.   Such a configuration will give you wider coverage allowing you to move seemlessly from one access point to another depending on which has the stronger signal.

oncdoc
Enthusiast - Level 2

you guys are wonderful for helping.

all of you.

Im almost there. What is the gateway ip adrress that i put in while setting up a static ip?

ok figured that out to be 192.168.1.1.

now getting error invalid primary dns addreess

now what?

ok it was the same. worked.

I will keep you updated.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Make sure you have that DHCP server turned off.

If you can describe in detail what's hooked to what and the settings on the configuration pages of each router, we can probably tell you if everything is setup correctly.

0 Likes