high speed internet dsl
paultesta

Since I can NOT get Fios in "MY" area, When can I expect the capapbility of  higher speeds from the standard  .5-1.5 mbs to atleast 15mbps? I do NOT want comcast & Im holding out. Can ANYONE tell me the reason why I can NOT get fios besides the FACT why 'MY'" area has such slow dsl?

0 Likes
Re: high speed internet dsl
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon hasn't expanded FiOS aggressively for several years. If you're not sold off to another provider, expect the wait to be a bit long, or expect a wireless future.

IMO, if you're stuck in an area with 1.5Mbps, go to Comcast. Buy your own modem, get the uncapped package if you plan to use more than 1TB/month, and go to town. Comcast can probably give you 12 - 15x the service for what you pay Verizon to get 1.5Mbps.

Verizon won't be upgrading DSL beyond what you've got, and the copper infrastructure won't be maintained much beyond ensuring basic phone service works in some regard.

0 Likes
Quantrill
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's simple marketing.
They'll leave your DSL to go to **bleep**, so when they get enough interest they'll lay out the fiber.

I've been running DSL for about 10 years, have no interest in Fiber. But, now my DSL service is turning to **bleep**.
Loss of connections, speed gone to hell, and for no other reason than to get me to drop the DSL for fiber.
No copper problems, no distance issues, simply techs at the CO **bleep** with the system.

essbee123
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeh....their main excuse all the time now is you have bad copper causing the speed issue. Verizon is FOS! I now get ads every few weeks to upgrade to FIOS at double the price and they make it sound like they are doing ME a big favor for the offer. Like I said they are FOS. I would love to see more competition come in and I would drop them like a dime even if the new company costs more. I'm sick of verizon.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon *does* have a secret FiOS Internet plan which will give you your existing DSL package over the Fiber Optic network, probably a little more speed for the same cost. I forget the name of it at the moment, but it's along the lines of a DSL Holdout / Retentions offer. 

essbee123
Enthusiast - Level 2

How do you get it? Customer service and chat is like talking to a **bleep** brick wall.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're in a FiOS area, abuse Verizon's "Fiber is the only Fix" policy. Call in repair for your DSL/Landline if you're having trouble. Do it enough times, and they'll come out and transition everything. Otherwise, you just have to find someone who is knowledable in the plan.