hooking up more than one computer to the verizon modem
ruby125
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a verizon modem that has 4 ethernet out connections. I am only using one of them now. Can I connect another computer to one of the other three and get on the net?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: hooking up more than one computer to the verizon modem
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@ruby125 wrote:

I have a verizon modem [sic] that has 4 ethernet out connections. I am only using one of them now. Can I connect another computer to one of the other three and get on the net?

I suspect you are referring to a Verizon router instead of a modem.  A modem will not generally have 4 Ethernet outputs.  To answer your question, just plug in a standard Ethernet cable from one of the "LAN" ports on the router to the computer, and you will be good to go.  Good luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@ruby125 wrote:

I have a verizon modem [sic] that has 4 ethernet out connections. I am only using one of them now. Can I connect another computer to one of the other three and get on the net?

I suspect you are referring to a Verizon router instead of a modem.  A modem will not generally have 4 Ethernet outputs.  To answer your question, just plug in a standard Ethernet cable from one of the "LAN" ports on the router to the computer, and you will be good to go.  Good luck.

0 Likes
logan81
Contributor - Level 3
Yes, you can hook up to 4 total lan connections to that router. Anything more than that would require additional networking equipment such as a switch, which we would not provide but that can be purchased from a retailer.
ruby125
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your help. I thought the box verizon sent was a modem but I guess its a router. Thanks again for all of the responses.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ruby125 wrote:

Thanks for your help. I thought the box verizon sent was a modem but I guess its a router. 

It is a router and a modem. The correct term for that is a Gateway 🙂

0 Likes