using wifi when traveling
RV-Mama

I purchased DSL last fall with the bonus of using the wifi while traveling.  We are retired and travel to Florida for the winter - so when I saw that the campground we would be at was located on the list of Verizon's hot spots I was thrilled.  The campground had intengointernet with Boingo as a partner so I figured there would be no problem since Verizon is in partnership with Boingo and as I said the campground was listed in the Verizon hotspots.  When I tried to connect - no luck.  Called customer service for wifi (located in India).  Had me load and reload verizon wifi, shut down computer, etc. etc. - on phone for almost 45 min. - nothing.  I tried to explain the boingo partnership - he had no clue what I was talking about - nor did he seem to understand that I was at a campground and not a coffee shop or bookstore.  Said he would call me back after talking with his supervisor - never heard back from him again.   A few weeks later I thought I would try again - maybe I would get someone in the U.S. that could understand what the situtation was.  No such luck - same situtation again - wifi customer service is only located in India and once again he promised - yes, promised he would call me back - never heard from him again either.   So I don't understand why Verizon has hotspots on their wifi site and yet one cannot access them

0 Likes
Re: using wifi when traveling
MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1
0 Likes
RV-Mama

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I have read every thing in your suggested link and have tried everything (several times).  I believe the snafu is somewhere in this partnering between intengointernet and boingo and verizon and boingo.  I just wish that  verizon would make sure that if they are going to list a spot as a "hotspot" that it truly is one.  And if they are partnering up then I wish everyone would be on the same page. When I talked to boingo they had no idea about the partnership with verizon.  Likewise, when I talked with verizon customer service had no idea about partnership with boingo.  It was all a very frustrating situation because I had signed up and paid extra for my dsl connection for the"privledge" of having access to a hotspot that I could access right from my RV and not drag my computer out to a coffee shop.  Enough said, I don't expect there will every be a solution to this problem nor do I ever expect to have a resolution from verizon.

0 Likes
Volklskier
Enthusiast - Level 2

RV Mama, Stop paying Verizon extra for your WiFi privilege that doesn't work! And get your money back for the months you tried to access and were not able to. Now, get yourself and your husband a Motorola Droid (Special offer right now on TV $199 - buy one get one free) {Keep it Legal}

If your phone can access the 3G network, you've got an internet connection - even while traveling!!  Problem solved.

Volklskier
Enthusiast - Level 2

RV Mama,  by the way, the Droid phone is the best device you'll ever own. Since you travel alot, you can locate all kinds of things with it using various apps that you can download for free to your phone. It's like the iPhone you've probably heard alot about. The Droid will do everything and anything you want to do. There is an app (most are free) that will allow you to do it. There is an app for Yellow Pages. You type in what you're looking for, then the city you want to find it in, and it will not only give you a listing of all those available, but the Droid will call the business for you, or show you how to get there! because a Free GPS comes with the Droid. The phone is so easy to use that it doesn't even come with a manual. Although you can access a manual online. Believe me, just like the ads say, DROID DOES!! Get going and get one. It's without question the best phone you'll ever own! Smiley Happy